What's new

Wanda Hefei|White Dragon in Sky |Intamin Launch Semi-Shuttle

Zac

Roller Poster
Re: Wanda Hefei | Unknown | Intamin Launched Semi-Shuttle

gavin said:
1. Golden Horse are now one of the most successful coaster companies in the world. Ethically, they're scum, but they've done incredibly well.

2. None of their 208 (minimum, since there will be a lot we still don't know about) coasters has had a major accident. I can't even think of any minor accidents at the moment either.

3. Their knockoffs ride exactly the same as the originals, which isn't to say they're good by the way because they're not, but they're knocking off s**t to begin with.

4. The health and safety restrictions which China places on new coasters is HIGHER than in Western countries. Ask M&V/Gravity Group about delays getting their stuff open.

5. Anybody making ill-informed, tired "DANGEROUS CHINESE KNOCKOFF!!!!" comments needn't worry since they'll never, ever be riding one.
Ah, thanks, your unsubstantiated claims of higher safety standards and no accidents are clearly so much better than my anecdotal assumption. I don't think western media would bother reporting on that kind of thing anyway, so we wouldn't hear about accidents in the first place. As you say, I'm never gonna ride one of these, and I can't be bothered to find out more reasons why I shouldn't.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

We do hear about accidents. A few flat rides have had them and have made the news in the west.

Even if they didn't make the mainstream media, which they would based on the flat ride reporting, they'd make the coaster sites, so at least we would hear about it. A video of a frisbee ride breaking did the rounds via YouTube/Facebook etc. recently, so to assume that we'd never hear about a coaster accident is naive.

We did hear about a car detaching itself from a Hebei Zhongye looper a while back, even though nobody was injured, so of course we would hear about anything more serious. This idea that some people seem to have that China is some sort of black hole when it comes to news is just totally inaccurate. Yes, the press there is government controlled, but it's used to prevent political stories; they don't block basic news stories about accidents. Plus, everyone has smartphones and internet access; it's not North Korea.

The safety standards for testing new coasters in China are very rigorous. It's not "anecdotal" on my part, M&V/Gravity Group have said as much. Since they make coasters in China, I think they'd know.

Health and safety in China with regards to staff training and maintenance is a different thing entirely. Once the coasters are handed over, that's out of the manufacturers' hands. There will be an accident at some point; statistically, there has to be. When that happens, every coaster "expert" on forums like these will be screaming "CHINESE KNOCKOFF!!!!!" when the truth is that it will invariably be down to maintenance issues or operator error, exactly like it is with pretty much every coaster accident in the west.

Whenever there has been an accident, it's taken extremely seriously. A brand new park had an incident on opening day where people fell from a booster ride. This was entirely down to operator error, not the ride itself. Not only was the ride closed down, but the entire park was, and seems unlikely to reopen for a very long time, if at all.

Back to this coaster though. If it does turn out to be a Chinese knockoff, I hope it IS from Golden Horse, though to be honest, I'm doubtful. They tend to knockoff coasters that they have had direct access to, copying them exactly, and I'm not sure that they would've had access to the only current tilt coaster.

The other manufacturers don't seem to reverse-engineer to the same extent - they copy coasters that they couldn't have had direct access to, and/or design their own layouts - so the results are a lot less consistent than Golden Horse.

I'm not defending these companies in terms of producing quality rides because they're not. They're mostly pretty awful, but usually no worse than poor examples of the originals. A newer knockoff loopscrew will ride better than an older Vekoma/Arrow, for example, but they're still a crap ride type. You have to remember that they're knocking off ride types that generally don't get a lot of love in the first place.

I'm just showing the other side to the the whole "dangerous" argument because it's lazy and misinformed; there's absolutely zero evidence that they are, and we absolutely would have heard about any accidents.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Update from Wanda Hefei. The launched Intamin seems to be coming along nicely. While the Chinese dueling tilt coasters look a lot bigger than I expected.

12186720_1487210984917628_3991151610243089050_o.jpg

12248242_1487211064917620_1907802027143296170_o.jpg

11047604_1487211144917612_206821169948105378_o.jpg

12248079_1487211154917611_3707173313907677724_o.jpg

12241790_1487211201584273_2756942607878648275_n.jpg

12240010_1487211211584272_3165485965600013251_n.jpg

Source

Lofty

CF Legend

One of my loves in life is those banking transitions on Intamin coasters - they just look so so so good.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

The new worlds tallest non inverted loop (It's 55m Beating out Flying Aces by 3m I believe) is going up at Wanda in Hefei on their Intamin launched coaster.

12375080_1493903067581753_5147390004686800528_o.jpg

Source

Unlike Flying Aces this ride will be launched into the loop.

Superbatboy

Roller Poster

All these awesome looking Intamins being installed outside the U.S. :-(

Lofty

CF Legend

This coaster looks so odd, I can't wait to see it testing and open just to get it into my head of exactly what the layout will be.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Wow, lucky Gavin! You can just tell that Intamin is going to deliver an innovative and intense high quality ride. The Golden Horse tilt coasters have my attention, its great to see they aren't ripping off Vekoma's archaic skeleton track (old style track) so it could track quite smoothly and be a good ride.

peep

CF Legend

I'm so intrigued by the tilt coasters. Can't wait to see more.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I can't help but to notice how smooth that transition is from(or to, don't know which way yet) the inline twist. I'm actually kind of glad that Golden Horse is doing this, as Vekoma could've easily screwed it up with their bulky Arrow track.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Vekoma could've easily screwed it up with their bulky Arrow track.

Luckily for enthusiasts and public alike, I think Vekoma plan to start using a better track type for their loopers except for copy and paste boomerangs in random Asian and Eastern European parks where they can make a quick and easy buck. Anyone remember the Vekoma vertical lift hill prototype coaster plans? That appeared to be using a new kind of track.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Is there any confirmation on the manufacturer of the tilt coasters? We're all saying Golden Horse, but they don't really do custom layouts, especially with coasters of this size. They certainly don't modify/improve track design either. They flat out steal existing coasters: track, cars, layout and all.

I'd say we should possibly be looking at Beijing Shibaolai, who have been going a lot bigger in recent years, and using different technologies other than basic chain lifthills with Sky Loop, Boomerang and Launched Motorbike coasters. Then there are their more established SLCs, which, unlike Golden Horse's, have a custom layout that doesn't just ripoff Vekoma's directly.

Taking it all into consideration, they seem a better fit, though I'd be tempted to say that Golden Horse might deliver a slightly better product.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Gavin is right. We don't actually know who's building the tilts as far as I know.

I suspect you are also right its probably BSA as they built the custom SLC at Wanda Nanchang

12208360_1485414288430631_5050056396946944927_n.jpg

and It also seems they are building the custom mine train at Wanda Harbin
Harbinmine1.jpg

Beijing Jiuhua Amusement Rides have also started doing custom layouts but their track style looks more like the old togo track ties.
http://rcdb.com/12015.htm#p=52475

But to be honest it could be any of them right now.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

12376691_1496188297353230_6226322393395398992_n.jpg

Tilt platforms are going in on the tilt coasters.

Lofty

CF Legend

That non-inverting loop is **** huge.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Bloody hell, that's amazing!