Re: Walibi parks 2012

Xpress update:

xpress1.jpg

xpress2.jpg

http://themepark.nl/

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Xpress looks so much nicer in those colours!

What is happening to Turbine again? I honestly can't remember.

Lofty

CF Legend

I'm sad that I missed that cred when I went. I might have to make my way back next year, if only for Goliath, I'd be happy.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

Scrap the reopening of Turbine for 2012. It will not open in 2012 and it might be possible it won't open in 2013...to quote Walibi: "Some day, you will get Turbine back!"
Translate from Compagnie des Alpenese to normal English: "We are a little bit to lazy to start working on our rides. But hey, Walibi Belgium is our cashcow for many years, we always get our money. Maybe I will finally be aible to purchase that Porsche to cruise around the Champs Elysees"

peep

CF Legend

KristofWB said:
Scrap the reopening of Turbine for 2012. It will not open in 2012 and it might be possible it won't open in 2013...to quote Walibi: "Some day, you will get Turbine back!"
Translate from Compagnie des Alpenese to normal English: "We are a little bit to lazy to start working on our rides. But hey, Walibi Belgium is our cashcow for many years, we always get our money. Maybe I will finally be aible to purchase that Porsche to cruise around the Champs Elysees"

I don't understand? Where is this coming from? I thought we'd already seen pics of them working on the ride, why stop? Argh, so many questions!

I'm glad that Express is getting re-painted and re-opened though but it does mean I'll have to go back to that park. I was not a fan of that place whatsoever.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

peep said:
KristofWB said:
I don't understand? Where is this coming from? I thought we'd already seen pics of them working on the ride, why stop? Argh, so many questions!

Walibi Belgium had its annual 'RollerCoaster Fan Day" today and Walibi Belgium gave some information about their plans for the future. No new rides the following years, but hard work on the re-branding of the group.

peep

CF Legend

^Cheers for clearing that up. I do like this rebrand so I'm intrigued but just means I'll leave going there till I know that coaster is re-opening.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

As I said before, Walibi Belgium had their annual RollerCoaster Fan Day. They invite fans from Belgium (Flemish and French), Holland and Germany to the park for a day filled with extras. Extras such as entrance to the park before openingtime, ERT on several rollercoasters and rides and this year a free RIP Pass plus an interview with the management of the park and a breakfast.

This year, Walibi explained their plans for the near future. The following years they will focus on the re-branding of the group, which will be massive. Goal is to transform the parks into the new Walibi universe, which willl take a pretty long time. This means that there will be no new rides in the near future, because the focus will be on the new Walibi universe. Turbine will defenatly re-open, yet it is not known yet when that will be. It will not be 2012, maybe 2013. It is announced he will be back, but it seems the construction of the ride takes a very long time.

There is also a new 4D/5D movie they are working on. They have the "Rokken Roll" movie now, which can be seen in 3D in Walibi Sud-Ouest, 4D in Walibi Belgium and next year in 5D in Walibi Holland. Another goal is to bring the "Rokken Roll" movie outside the Walibi parks and sell it off to other parks in Europa and outside Europe.

Ben

CF Legend

I just get the impression the Walibi parks are sort of... Lazy?

Like, Turbine should no way take until 2013 to enclose. Sorry, just, no. I'm sorry, MAYBE in 2013? MAYBE? You could rebuild that ride out of cocktail sticks and spit and still have it running before 2013.

Much like La Via Volta should NOT have taken what, half a decade to reopen?

Those parks are crying out for new rides. Re-branding is great, but, none of those parks have had a working new ride for... God, 10 years? And now they're saying there won't be any in the future (until at least 2014 for Belgium by the looks of it)? Sorry, just, no, I can really see these parks going under, and it's a shame.

Basically, a re-brand should NOT take as long as it's going to take the Walibi parks. Change a few signs, throw in a few characters and you're done. It's not like they were massive brands to start with, changing them should not take as long as it's going to.

They're lazy, that's the problem with the Walibi parks. They take five years to do what shouldn't even take five months, and it's pathetic. Nothing had changed in Holland in the four years between my visits except there was less to go on... It's shameful, and as good as the re-branding is, it's not going to be enough if that's ALL they're going to have done for 10 years. Stagnant sums up the Walibi parks.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

Ben said:
It's not like they were massive brands to start with, changing them should not take as long as it's going to.

You are kind of wrong at that point. Walibi actually is one of the biggest and most popular brands in Belgium and that has been for ages now. For example, when Walibi Belgium tranformed into Six Flags Belgium, the park recieved many complaints from costumors and visitors who were actually pretty pissed off by the fact the Walibi-name and the kangaroo was gone. The main reason why Six Flags brought the kangaroo back in 2003 for Aqualibi.

Are the Walibi parks lazy? I don't know. I'm not that aware of the history of the Dutch park of the group, but I do know Walibi Belgium is not. The latest investment in a major attraction was Vertigo, but we all know how that ended :twisted: . So we have to go back to 2001, with Loup-Garou and Cobra. However, even though they are operating with the same amount of rides for 10 years, the park still is the most visited park in Belgium, leaving even Plopsaland De Panne far behind. From 2001 till now, parks number of visitors keep growing and never go under 1.000.000 and about 1.300.000 in 2005 and 2010. Which is pretty much for a little country the size of a handkerchief.

Now who's fault is this? Compagnie des Alpes in my opinion. And StarParks where the same kind. They both had the same view on Walibi Belgium, which once was partially confirmed by one of the CdA people: "Walibi Belgium is a little goldmine. Almost never loss and they keep having a massive amount of visitors. So why invest such much money in a park that keeps attracting visitors with nothing?"
Detailed info, Walibi Belgium had the most profit from all the CdA parks, including Parc Astérix. Walibi Belgium is actually crying out loud for a new ride to increase capacity and keep visitors satisfied. Because those visitors are still statisfied now. But I wonder how long that will take because one day they will have to leave he park behind? And I think that is what Walibi Belgium needs: a huge decrease in number of visitors. Because I'm afraid that is the only moment Compagnie des Alpes will open their eyes and realize there is some action needed!

Ben

CF Legend

KristofWB said:
You are kind of wrong at that point. Walibi actually is one of the biggest and most popular brands in Belgium and that has been for ages now. For example, when Walibi Belgium tranformed into Six Flags Belgium, the park recieved many complaints from costumors and visitors who were actually pretty pissed off by the fact the Walibi-name and the kangaroo was gone. The main reason why Six Flags brought the kangaroo back in 2003 for Aqualibi.

In park though, the brand presence isn't huge, so that transformation shouldn't take as long as it is.

Are the Walibi parks lazy? I don't know. I'm not that aware of the history of the Dutch park of the group, but I do know Walibi Belgium is not.

You say that and then you say...

The latest investment in a major attraction was Vertigo, but we all know how that ended :twisted: . So we have to go back to 2001, with Loup-Garou and Cobra.

So they haven't built anything that works in a decade... Lazy.

However, even though they are operating with the same amount of rides for 10 years, the park still is the most visited park in Belgium, leaving even Plopsaland De Panne far behind. From 2001 till now, parks number of visitors keep growing and never go under 1.000.000 and about 1.300.000 in 2005 and 2010. Which is pretty much for a little country the size of a handkerchief.

They won't only be attracting Belgians, so don't give me that. And, great, their laziness hasn't bit them in the arse YET. It will.

So, yeah, they are lazy. What would take most parks a fraction of the time takes the Walibi parks ten times that. Plopsa will keep investing and getting bigger and bigger, and Walibi will be left in the dust going "don't you like our new characters and old Vekomas?"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Yeah, sorry, but the whole "popular for a tiny country like Belgium" doesn't hold any water when you can travel freely around mainland Europe. Instead of comparing to other Belgian parks, you should look at how it compares to other European parks generally, especially those in the Netherlands and Germany.

In fact, Efteling is closer to Walibi Beligium, and poses more competition, than Plopsaland. Do you still want to talk numbers?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Obviously I dont know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was to do with CdA, they actually promised a lot for Pleasurewood, and started well by installing Wipeout, then nothing for the next 5 years. Bellewaerde fanboys have been saying the same thing too, no proper investment for many years.

It seems like CdA have kept all their budget for the Invert at Asterix.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

^ Or, Park asterix has the lowest attendence of all the parks and they're trying to boost that.