What's new

Walibi Belgium | Kondaa | Intamin Mega Coaster | 2021

James F

Hyper Poster
It's a shame it's max height restriction is 195cm, I am 6ft 4 , so I'll just about get on, but I know there will be some disappointed thoosies

Matt N

CF Legend
It's a shame it's max height restriction is 195cm, I am 6ft 4 , so I'll just about get on, but I know there will be some disappointed thoosies
Given my dad is 1.98m, or 6’6”, I guess that means he wouldn’t be able to ride Kondaa...

I’d be fine, though, as I’m only 1.77m or 5’9.5”. I benefit from not being particularly tall in this regard!

The ride itself looks absolutely outstanding, though; I counted at least 6 areas where it gets below -1G, and numerous more where it got below 0G, which I think is astounding for a ride that doesn’t even reach full hyper coaster status! The pacing looks excellent, also!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Looks great! Don't understand the negative g-forces on the lift hill though...
Yeah, that bit is strange. I could understand it if it had said 0.7 or something, as the vertical G sensor is counting the g-forces in directions relative to the train. The total force on the sensor is 1 G on the lift hill, but relative to the sensor the force is tilted backwards, making the "vertical" component lower than 1 G.

However, this would not lower the force below 0 G. It could be that they're using 1 G as a base line, and counting the forces relative to that, but that makes very little sense for physical measurements. I could understand it if the numbers were based on a simulation, where it's somewhat plausible to forget to add the 1 G (I remember a ride in RCT3 doing this, so it achieved insane stats just from going slowly in a flat circle on the ground), but then the readings say 1 G in the station, so that explanation doesn't hold up either.

I guess it could be that the inclination of the lift hill throws the sensor out of calibration, so it keeps adjusting the number lower and lower to try to meet an expected value, but then again it stops at -0.3 G.

In the end, I suspect they're just fudging the number a little to make it look more exciting.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Not loving the soundtrack to be honest, just sounds like generic 'brand new coaster' music to me, and the POV looks as if the train isn't hauling quite as much ass as it did in some of those earlier testing videos.
But still... yeah it looks epic.
Want.

Ries

Mega Poster
Great POV, I like the specs in it.
it is actually nicely fast. I thought it would be slower. Even the cobra is 65km/h.

I do gonna say something controversial, I think.
But after seeing pov's of Taron, Taiga, Helix, Monster, Abyssus, Lech, Hals-über-Kopf, to name a few. I really wanted to get on the coaster now! But with the pov's of Kondaa I haven't had that feeling. I can't really say why. But it is missing something. I don't know.

Still want to ride these coasters though. Walibi isn't even that far away as well.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Trax

Hyper Poster
After taking a closer look at the forces, I think they are completely manufactured.
Not only that some forces just don't make any sense (-0,3g on the lifthill, +2g on a couple of airtime moments + brake run,...), but the whole curvature does not make any sense at all.
Considering that the forces appear to be for the first row, a typical curve on an airtime hill should look a little bit like this (Hyperion Front row with chest mount)
coasterforce.JPG

Allthough you see the movement from myself and the train, you can see the what I mean: The front row gets the peak g-forces in the beginning, lowering while the train loses more and more speed. The forces displayed would be somewhat fitting for the last row, with the airtime getting stronger the longer the train is on the hill. However, it just magically stopping at -1,3g also rings something.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that Walibi just got some rough numbers from Intamin or the dutch TÜV and someone created the transitions in between. The transitions between the forces also seem to be straight, with no curvature in between (usually you start slow and increase the rate of change until a maximum is reached before "slowly" leveling again.
Looks ok on the first glance, but unfortunately this conveys wrong forces, which also appear to be plausible at first - and most people won't look as close as we do here, taking those for facts.

And yes, if travel does not get restricted within the next couple of days, I will make a couple of measurements on Kondaa. Any special wishes except for Front + Back row?

Dar

Hyper Poster
After taking a closer look at the forces, I think they are completely manufactured.
Not only that some forces just don't make any sense (-0,3g on the lifthill, +2g on a couple of airtime moments + brake run,...), but the whole curvature does not make any sense at all.
Considering that the forces appear to be for the first row, a typical curve on an airtime hill should look a little bit like this (Hyperion Front row with chest mount)
View attachment 11856

Allthough you see the movement from myself and the train, you can see the what I mean: The front row gets the peak g-forces in the beginning, lowering while the train loses more and more speed. The forces displayed would be somewhat fitting for the last row, with the airtime getting stronger the longer the train is on the hill. However, it just magically stopping at -1,3g also rings something.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that Walibi just got some rough numbers from Intamin or the dutch TÜV and someone created the transitions in between. The transitions between the forces also seem to be straight, with no curvature in between (usually you start slow and increase the rate of change until a maximum is reached before "slowly" leveling again.
Looks ok on the first glance, but unfortunately this conveys wrong forces, which also appear to be plausible at first - and most people won't look as close as we do here, taking those for facts.

And yes, if travel does not get restricted within the next couple of days, I will make a couple of measurements on Kondaa. Any special wishes except for Front + Back row?
Very interesting! I guessed they'd just stuck some plausible numbers on the graphic when the lift speed stayed at 14km/h, despite the noticeable increase halfway up! 🤣

Does putting your arms up change the g-force reading? I'm guessing not, except you'll 'feel' it more without anchoring yourself. Plus you'll have turned yourself into a pendulum and shifted your centre of mass a little bit! :p

Trax

Hyper Poster
Does putting your arms up change the g-force reading? I'm guessing not, except you'll 'feel' it more without anchoring yourself. Plus you'll have turned yourself into a pendulum and shifted your centre of mass a little bit! :p
It certainly makes the measurement less accurate, as your body will likely move more, but the real forces do not change. You will feel them more, as your contact area to the restraint is smaller without you touching it + the exposed feeling of having your hands free.

Reactions: Dar

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Looks like there's some nice Kondaa merch there.

Also happy that they main ride area has grass, rather than just the dirt/mud that the official POV shows. Was hoping there might have been some shrubbery around there, but equally, it's not that big an issue.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
That's looking like a solid ride. There's something about those final hills that reminds me of the really mad hills in the middle of the mega-lites, so hopefully those will be as insane to ride as they look. I just hope they haven't gone too OTT with the laterals in earlier parts of the ride.