What's new

Useless RMC Potential

Tremors at Silverwood. While Silverwood is good friends with RMC, they won't do it, simply because it is an amazing woodie! It is my 2nd favourite wood coaster I've ridden, and while I think it has the best layout for an RMC, it just can't happen.

the vast majority of people would be in favour of RMCing Big Dipper/Nash if they understood it

But that's the whole point. They wouldn't understand why a national and well-loved icon, such as the Dipper or the National was being removed. Blackpool haven't added a major new thrill ride since 2007 and yet they still get high visitor numbers. Why? Because of its historical line up. Rides since as the Big One, older steel coasters like Revolution and the wooden coasters consistently attract tourists from all over the country. It's similar to how Alton attracts people with its major, ground breaking coasters. So actually, I think visitor numbers may actually be negatively affected by removing a very popular ride such as Big Dipper, which has been operating since 1923, for a new coaster, regardless of how good it is.

Blackpool does what it does very well: maintaining historical rides. If they wanted to rival Alton Towers and Thorpe Park, they'd be adding thrilling new rides every few years. But they're not. And whilst they do acknowledge the thrill-seekers that go to the Pleasure Beach (adding Skyforce this year), they have been highly investing a family and historic rides, like transforming the Gold Mine into Wallace and Gromit and adding Nickelodeon Land, which refurbished two 1930s coasters.

Whilst a new RMC would most likely be fantastic (basing that from what I've heard about them), removing an old and popular coaster would mean the park would lose a major draw, because the public love the old wooden coasters.

elephant58 said:
They wouldn't understand why a national and well-loved icon, such as the Dipper or the National was being removed.
I think the public would just assume they were doing so because its old and they have something new planned? The same thing happened to another classic and iconic ride in the UK- Corkscrew.

Blackpool haven't added a major new thrill ride since 2007 and yet they still get high visitor numbers. Why? Because of its historical line up.
The general public are called the general public for a reason. To them its simply a major theme park in the UKs limited selection of major parks, and it has high visitor numbers because it dominates Blackpool in size and things to do.

So actually, I think visitor numbers may actually be negatively affected by removing a very popular ride such as Big Dipper, which has been operating since 1923, for a new coaster, regardless of how good it is.
I think you are overestimating how sentimental the British public are, yes some people in the older generations would mourn the loss, but if they removed it to RMC convert it, it would only increase visitor numbers. Take an average group of people in their 20s (a significant proportion of customers are in this group) going to Blackpool for a few days to spend their money. Are they going to be like "**** Blackpool Pleasure Beach, they removed an old wooden coaster for a modern new one with loops and bigger drops so we're boycotting it!" Only in loonytown would this happen. They will be like "Cool we should go to Pleasure Beach guys, they got an awesome looking new coaster!"

Whilst a new RMC would most likely be fantastic (basing that from what I've heard about them), removing an old and popular coaster would mean the park would lose a major draw, because the public love the old wooden coasters.
It would remove a major draw... then replace it with a considerably bigger draw for 95% of the public!

I could only see the public being pissed off if they replaced the iconic woodies with tame copy and paste family coasters like Vekoma rollerskaters or the standard Vekoma SFC model. Even I wouldn't want that!

I think the UK gp are actually pretty nostalgic. How often are there campaigns to save old landmarks and buildings? Literally all the time! Look how much fuss has been made over the scenic, which from what I've heard is a pretty mediocre ride compared to the Blackpool woodies. Blackpool as a town is also very proud of it's heritage and I think the reason the pleasure beach does so well is because of it's quirky nostalgic charm.

That's not to say we shouldn't get an RMC in the UK-that would be great but I think a lot of people have gone RMC crazy recently. An RMC from scratch like outlaw run would suit the UK much better than destroying some of our few remaining classic woodies. I don't think their layouts would even suit a conversion anyway. Replace the Big One with one maybe, but the woodies just a) don't need it and b) wouldn't make good conversions.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Look how much fuss has been made over the scenic, which from what I've heard is a pretty mediocre ride compared to the Blackpool woodies. Blackpool as a town is also very proud of it's heritage and I think the reason the pleasure beach does so well is because of it's quirky nostalgic charm.

This is what I'm on about. And to say that Blackpool isn't popular because of its historical rides, is just false. One of the things the park pride themselves on is their history and why would they spend loads of money on keeping these traditional rides and brands going, if historical rides weren't the main draw. Alton's Corkscrew is an unfair comparison, as 1) it was a lot younger than Blackpool's woodies and 2) by 2010, Alton had made themselves into an evolving park, constantly adding new rides for both families and thrillseekers, Blackpool don't follow the same business model. Corkscrew had become a lot less popular, unlike the woodies at Blackpool, which are still popular even with newer rides at the park. Corkscrew was also considered an uncomfortable and rough ride in its later years. Removing Corkscrew was expected and understood, as it was to add a new modern big coaster - it wouldn't be the same at Blackpool.

then replace it with a considerably bigger draw for 95% of the public!

How do you know this is how the public will react? If they removed an old, shabby steel coaster at Alton or Thorpe and added an RMC, it would almost certainly be well-received, as it would meet the parks' plans and business model. Doing this at Blackpool would cause more negativity than positivity and whilst it would possibly in a few years become a well-received ride, announcing and destroying a ride for it would be the centre of attention. I understand that you personally would want this to happen, as would many of us here, but if you actually think about the Pleasure Beach's marketing model and target audience, then it becomes apparent that perhaps removing a popular and historic coaster would cause, on the whole, a negative reaction.

Elephant58 is hitting the nail on the head perfectly here. Anyone remember the uproar caused when Pleasureland Southport shut and their woodie was demolished? Almost everyone (especially locals) wanted it saved.

Plus, the history and nostalgia is part of Blackpool. Without it, the park would just be nothing even if they did get an RMC (or similar) in replacement.

Ok Im gonna throw in the towel for my argument now aha, my opinion is clearly very different from the mainstream public and most other enthusiasts.

cjbrandy said:
Ok Im gonna throw in the towel for my argument now aha, my opinion is clearly very different from the mainstream public and most other enthusiasts.

If it helps - I've been on your side from the start :)
I get the nostalgia thing, really I do, but Blackpool has got 4 classic woodies. 4 ffs!
If one of 'em gets RMC'd, that still leaves 3 classic woodies for the old fuddy-duddies to ride, which is still more classic woodies than most parks have to offer.
I say do it. Sooner the better.

edit: And another thing - if Blackpool are so anal about maintaining and preserving their historic rides, how come the 'Nash and the Dipper are such grotty looking, rough old knackers? The last time I went to Blackpool the state of the Grand National was disgraceful - dirty, oil stained, badly painted, moss covered monstrosity with weeds growing in between the tracks.
Awful.

Howie said:
cjbrandy said:

If it helps - I've been on your side from the start :)
I get the nostalgia thing, really I do, but Blackpool has got 4 classic woodies. 4 ffs!
If one of 'em gets RMC'd, that still leaves 3 classic woodies for the old fuddy-duddies to ride, which is still more classic woodies than most parks have to offer.
I say do it. Sooner the better.

edit: And another thing - if Blackpool are so anal about maintaining and preserving their historic rides, how come the 'Nash and the Dipper are such grotty looking, rough old knackers? The last time I went to Blackpool the state of the Grand National was disgraceful - dirty, oil stained, badly painted, moss covered monstrosity with weeds growing in between the tracks.
Awful.

Yay someone else on team RMC! And you're absolutely right, 3 classic woodies would more than suffice and if they are committed to preserving them then I demand nothing less than the whole thing to be regularly painted to look fresh and consistent re tracking and train maintenance for maximum smoothness. Being dirty, stained, moss covered etc is completely unacceptable and strengthens the argument for a replacement. Big Dipper has pops of ejector air in the back, its not a bad ride but it feels like driving over speed bumps at 70mph and we all know what the National is like.

The Coney Island Cyclone.

It's probably the most well-known historically-significant wooden roller coaster in the US. There would be so much press surrounding it stirring up dissent and the collective butthurt from all of its fans would cause the ride to spontaneously burst into flames (which, would be impressive, given its support structure is all steel).

There's a lot of discussion about BPB, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

As a coaster enthusiast, BPB fascinates me because it has more working wood roller coasters built prior to the 1970s (five total) than any other park on Earth. The only park to come close to that is Kennywood (three total). The other side is right, though. The general public won't give a damn about that and by extension won't give a damn if one or more of them gets RMC'd. That's why the park should reach out to the general public by ADVERTISING this feature.

"Come to Blackpool Pleasure Beach, home to the greatest thrill rides in Britain, and the largest collection of wooden roller coasters...not in Britain...not in Europe...in the WORLD!" (echoing the word "world" several times in rapid succession is optional)

It's amazing how well you can reach people if you just advertise to them effectively.