What's new

USB Stick, iPod/iPhone...or both!

USB Stick, iPod/iPhone...or both?

• I have just a USB Stick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have just an iPod/iPhone

• I have both! Yes, I'm THAT tech-savvy...

• I have Neither!

• Total voters

Martyn

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Martyn said:
Ben said:
Wait, people still use USB sticks? :S

Am I the only one who was NEVER able to find a practical use for them?

Do some bloody work.

I do! I've just always been fortunate to go to educational establishments which have email!

Fine. Do some real work.

Emailing files is stupid anyway, and massively inefficient. What happens if you want to update that file you've emailed? You have to download it, edit it, and then email it back somewhere.

Any efficiency gained with emailing files relies on having a proper email client (like Outlook), because if you use a webmail system, that makes attachments even more of a headache.

And what if you're out on site somewhere and you can't get on a WiFi network because they're all secure because it's the Department of bloody Health, your 3G connection is working, but not very well (down to GPRS status) and as a result, the office VPN isn't behaving so you can't really download your email to Outlook on your laptop so are forced to use Outlook Web Access (which you have to load in Internet Explorer - annoying) and you need to get an Excel spreadsheet up on a screen which is being projected from a client's computer next to you? Oh I think the memory stick on my keys will do that job brilliantly!

Yes. That happened today.

Also, I plug my iPod in to my computer at work, but I don't have anything synced. It's just for charging. I actively encourage iPhone/PDA charging via the computer because it gets around having get stuff PAT tested if you can charge it over USB!

Jake

Strata Poster
I have an iPhone, but i'm pretty bored of it now (had it well over a year). Luckily the contract runs out soon. Might try out a NigBerry after...

Dave

CF Legend
I wouldn't put my data onto my iPhone as usually I scan negatives that scan at 3000dpi and the images can be up to 50mb a piece, so scanning up to 30 can drain any memory card, so the USB stick is awesome at this.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I can has iPod and a memory stick. Admittedly I use the memory stick once every, erm, two years, at best.

A

Anonymous

I have neither, I won't get an iPod/iPhone since I want better sound quality and not be forced to use a program to be able to transfer music, etc.
I usually mail files to myself if I need to use them on another computer, but if it's something really big, then I use some SD cards to lug the files around...