What's new

US Election 2020; what are your thoughts?

Who did you support in the US Election?

• Donald Trump (Republican)

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Joe Biden (Democrat)

Votes: 40 69.0%
  • Other/None

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
The whole segment on him debating whether Harris is Black or Indian is just stupid? Trump is not from an American family either, he’s half German and half Scottish.

Look, I don’t like the Democrats, they are usually even more far right than the “British Right”. What I do feel like though is Harris is a bit of a centrist and I’d rather a centrist. Trump’s campaign has basically been destroyed by Harris. Trump’s campaign was basically “vote for me because the other guy has dementia and is old.” Now he is facing a woman that is 20 years younger.
Do you mean ‘far left?’

Democrats are supposed to be centre left aligned.

Democrats are definitely not more right wing than Reform! But I expect you just made a simple error, and so this statement is irrelevant anyway.

It’s all well and good that Harris is leading Trump in some nationwide polls, but the thing to remember about American elections is that it’s the swing states that matter. It’s worth remembering that Clinton actually won the popular vote in 2016, but Trump got in because of his support cleverly coalescing around key swing states, which won him more electors in the Electoral College.

The race is very tight at the moment; I think it could go either way. I’m definitely happy to see Harris as the Democratic candidate, however, and I’m glad to see that she seems to have injected some momentum into the race.

I’m disappointed to see Trump and the Republican Party seemingly resorting to criticising Kamala Harris’ race and sex, however. In my view, they should critique her on her policies and her agenda for the USA rather than characteristics that are completely irrelevant to her ability to govern.

Watching the republicans, and Trump individually, lose their minds at being called weird is probably the greatest thing to have happened in years. They really can't stand it, and don't seem to have a comeback beyond "nuh uh!".

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and one of them to get so angy they just straight up start using the n-word

Do you mean ‘far left?’

Democrats are supposed to be centre left aligned.

Democrats are definitely not more right wing than Reform! But I expect you just made a simple error, and so this statement is irrelevant anyway.
I meant that Democrats are more far right than the conservatives. I feel the American political system is overall more far right than the UK’s. Bernie Sanders was touted as too far left in 2016, despite him saying pretty moderate stuff like how the healthcare system should be public.

Reform are another can of worms, but sit I guess on equal footing to The Republicans. Economic problems, healthcare shortages, teaching shortages, it’s the boats/Mexicans!

I meant that Democrats are more far right than the conservatives. I feel the American political system is overall more far right than the UK’s. Bernie Sanders was touted as too far left in 2016, despite him saying pretty moderate stuff like how the healthcare system should be public.

Reform are another can of worms, but sit I guess on equal footing to The Republicans. Economic problems, healthcare shortages, teaching shortages, it’s the boats/Mexicans!
Ahh ok, you have a point when talking about Conservatives of the last 10 years. But not so much the Thatcher years. All about to change back now too, Reform have scared them, and I think they believe that their own decline is down to the fact that they’ve swayed too close to the centre. I fully expect them to lean further right than we’ve seen in my lifetime, under their new leader. But that’s all conjecture, I guess we’ll see.

America in general is a more right-wing country than Britain, so it makes sense that the Democrats will be further right than, say, Labour. Left-wing and right-wing will mean different things in different countries.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but the thing I find interesting is that social conservatism is seemingly still very prevalent in large swathes of America, whereas I’d argue that traditional social conservatism is largely dead in the UK. As an example, the UK’s right-wing Conservative Party were the ones who legalised gay marriage, brought in self-ID for transgender people, and had numerous women and BAME people in positions of power during their 14 years in government. They’ve also left things like abortion rights and such largely intact, and no mainstream party in the UK is threatening to reverse these. Rights like gay marriage and abortion seem to be seen as irreversible even by the far-right in the UK.

Whereas in the USA, there still seems to be considerable support from some circles for things like criminalising homosexuality and gay marriage, and criminalising abortions. Social conservatism still seems to be alive and kicking in America, whereas I'd argue it's largely died a death in the UK (in its traditional form, at least).

Watching the republicans, and Trump individually, lose their minds at being called weird is probably the greatest thing to have happened in years. They really can't stand it, and don't seem to have a comeback beyond "nuh uh!".

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and one of them to get so angy they just straight up start using the n-word
Well, Trump supposedly used the n-word on the set of a TV show before…

So honestly I could see him calling her the n-word. Good luck getting black voters after that!

Wow I finally caught up with that Trump interview with the black panel and that was absolutely mad - what planet is this guy on!

Woeful… no sane person could watch that and say ‘that went well’.

It’s amazing to think that after the assassination attempt this guy looked like a dead cert for a second term.

After watching that black panel clip, I find myself asking how could Trump possibly win!!

Wow I finally caught up with that Trump interview with the black panel and that was absolutely mad - what planet is this guy on!

Woeful… no sane person could watch that and say ‘that went well’.

It’s amazing to think that after the assassination attempt this guy looked like a dead cert for a second term.

After watching that black panel clip, I find myself asking how could Trump possibly win!!
Bonkers isn't it, at one point I found myself wondering if there was kind of significant financial gain to be had from running and losing... But no, I think he's just genuinely lost the plot.