What's new

US Election 2020; what are your thoughts?

Who did you support in the US Election?

• Donald Trump (Republican)

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Joe Biden (Democrat)

Votes: 39 70.9%
  • Other/None

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
The mistakes keep on coming for Joe Biden, it would seem, as he said in a radio interview that he was “proud to be the first black woman to work with a black president”, and he also confused the media by saying “Ho, ho, ho” on his Independence Day address: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ers-black-woman-long-Joe-faction-prevail.html

These could be perfectly innocent mistakes from Biden, but these gaffes are arguably giving ammunition to the people claiming that he’s too old and infirm to be president. They reinforce my opinion in making me increasingly think that Biden needs to go if the Democrats have any hope of winning against Trump in November. Even if these gaffes are simple mistakes from Biden, they are not doing his reputation any favours, which will ultimately cost him at the ballot box.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The mistakes keep on coming for Joe Biden, it would seem, as he said in a radio interview that he was “proud to be the first black woman to work with a black president”, and he also confused the media by saying “Ho, ho, ho” on his Independence Day address: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ers-black-woman-long-Joe-faction-prevail.html

These could be perfectly innocent mistakes from Biden, but these gaffes are arguably giving ammunition to the people claiming that he’s too old and infirm to be president. They reinforce my opinion in making me increasingly think that Biden needs to go if the Democrats have any hope of winning against Trump in November. Even if these gaffes are simple mistakes from Biden, they are not doing his reputation any favours, which will ultimately cost him at the ballot box.
Maybe it's tactical...

"You can't vote out grandpapa!"

Seriously though, I agree, unless something changes quickly, Biden doesn't stand a chance. The fight is only going to intensify, and he'll make more and more mistakes, giving the opposition more and more ammo.

As somebody who lives in California and will start driving in the coming months, yet still has to survive off of summer jobs, one more tax increase or massive jump in inflation caused by Democrats and I'm going to loose my ****. I'm bot a Trump supporter by any means, but based on my options, my wallet is. Also based on the debate, Biden proved just how fragile and inept he really is.

Not to mention at least half this country voted Trump in once, which means that at least half this country won't be affected by his "dictatorship" This is in stark contrast to democratic beliefes where we all pay more to get less. At this point, who did what in he said she said cases or who has half of a brain left, or what their goddamn golf handicap is doesn't matter. The last four years have been the worst in American history financially for the average middle class person.

Also why do so many non-Americans on this thread live Biden so much? At this rate ww3 is happening soon, and yall will be taken down with the ship. I'm just saying, I'm from California, a democratic state where gas prices are over 5 bucks a gallon near my house. Compare this to the South in Tennessee where gas prices hover around 2.75 a gallon. Until you pay the price, you don't get a choice in my mind...have an absolutely splendid day, I have to go to Hersheypark now byeee

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
As somebody who lives in California and will start driving in the coming months, yet still has to survive off of summer jobs, one more tax increase or massive jump in inflation caused by Democrats and I'm going to loose my ****. I'm bot a Trump supporter by any means, but based on my options, my wallet is. Also based on the debate, Biden proved just how fragile and inept he really is.

Not to mention at least half this country voted Trump in once, which means that at least half this country won't be affected by his "dictatorship" This is in stark contrast to democratic beliefes where we all pay more to get less. At this point, who did what in he said she said cases or who has half of a brain left, or what their goddamn golf handicap is doesn't matter. The last four years have been the worst in American history financially for the average middle class person.

Also why do so many non-Americans on this thread live Biden so much? At this rate ww3 is happening soon, and yall will be taken down with the ship. I'm just saying, I'm from California, a democratic state where gas prices are over 5 bucks a gallon near my house. Compare this to the South in Tennessee where gas prices hover around 2.75 a gallon. Until you pay the price, you don't get a choice in my mind...have an absolutely splendid day, I have to go to Hersheypark now byeee
Nobody loves Biden. But, he isn’t a wannabe dictator who hates all minorities and only supports the rich. By the way, national debt increased exponentially under Trump. Biden had to pick up the pieces of not only Trump’s mess, but also the pandemic. Please support your claim that “the last four years have been the worst in American history financially for the average middle class person.” Because really? What about the Great Depression? Even the 2008 recession? I’m also very worried about financial issues. I’m terrified that I won’t be able to afford a house or really get on my feet at all. But I’ll take that over my rights being stolen away from me. I would rather have autonomy over my own body and choose who I‘m able to marry than be able to afford a house. Because under Trump, we would spiral towards the ****ing Handmaid’s Tale. Money is important, but it isn’t everything. Do you care about people of color? Queer people? Poor people? Non-Christians? Women? If you answered yes to any of the above questions, support Biden. It’s really that simple. Oh, and by the way. Biden actually increased taxes for the rich. Which shows he cares way more about the average working class American than Trump ever will.

Be honest: who do you want to vote for? The convicted felon and r**ist, or the guy who might have a bit of dementia.

VOTE BLUE, NO MATTER WHO!

Nitefly

Giga Poster
From Justice Sotomayor’s dissent in the ruling (for context to @Sticky_T_Wicky):

This isn’t a wild interpretation, and something constitutional scholars have also been affirming as they weigh in.

That dissenting judgment is, in my opinion, wildly political in tone - I’m all for passion but it’s kind of awkward to read compared to the more composed dissents you get elsewhere.

Her main point is that when a President has a defence entrenched by the constitution, by virtue of the President acting within his powers, he/she will be able to substantiate such a defence during that process. Her view however is that a President ought to not have any protection from going down that process.

She is right that the majority verdict could, theoretically, improperly impact the finding out of facts that would be found during a criminal investigation (I suspect that the majority would say that this sort of conduct would amount to unconstitutional ‘fishing for evidence’ - perhaps they would not be wrong).

The key ‘issue’ however with the approach of the dissent that it leaves more room for ‘political prosecution compared to the alternative. The position preceded by the majority is rather to ‘front load’ an immunity where a constitutional defence would obviously apply, to the effect that you need not have to assess the ‘facts’ if the President was acting within his/her powers. This approach better dissuades ‘mudslinging’ at political opponents.

I’m fairly neutral on this decision because if the ‘process is proper’ then whichever way the case was decided it should always have the correct final outcome: a president will not be able to claim immunity from prosecution for acts outside of his powers for which he would already have a constitutional defence. The question of whether an act was official or not will still have to be considered and when there is good reason to bring a prosecution this will still have to be determined as a matter of law.

Whichever was the point of law was decided, there will always room for improper process and trying to ‘bend the rules’ (whether that is enabling political prosecution or enabling filibustering by claiming immunity).

Yes, the majority verdict does favour Trump politically and it does enable filibustering. Yes, I expect it was politically leaning as well. But the goalposts haven’t shifted THAT dramatically in respect of ultimate outcomes.

With that said… the US court system does seem to be more political than those elsewhere - as is readily evidenced by the tone of the dissent - so perhaps that does warrant more reason for concern.

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
I’m terrified that I won’t be able to afford a house or really get on my feet at all. But I’ll take that over my rights being stolen away from me. I would rather have autonomy over my own body and choose who I‘m able to marry than be able to afford a house.
From an European's point of view, I find it insane if people think that everything will become cheaper if they vote Trump back into office. Biden had the misfortune of becoming president at a time when every place in the Western world went through a massive post pandemic inflation and I do not see a way that Trump could manage it that much better than literally any place in Europe did? @LightningColossus46 said the gas in California is about $5 per gallon, which is (if my maths is right) about €1,22 per liter. I filled my tank up for €1,5 per liter here and we have some of the cheapest gas in Europe at the moment. I'd be happy to have those prices here.

And no, I don't think Biden is a good candidate at all, considering that you would be voting a clearly demented person into office for 4 more years. But if anyone seriously thinks that voting a republican party nominee would make life more affordable, they really don't see the whole picture, imo.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
From an European's point of view, I find it insane if people think that everything will become cheaper if they vote Trump back into office. Biden had the misfortune of becoming president at a time when every place in the Western world went through a massive post pandemic inflation and I do not see a way that Trump could manage it that much better than literally any place in Europe did? @LightningColossus46 said the gas in California is about $5 per gallon, which is (if my maths is right) about €1,22 per liter. I filled my tank up for €1,5 per liter here and we have some of the cheapest gas in Europe at the moment. I'd be happy to have those prices here.

And no, I don't think Biden is a good candidate at all, considering that you would be voting a clearly demented person into office for 4 more years. But if anyone seriously thinks that voting a republican party nominee would make life more affordable, they really don't see the whole picture, imo.
I'm no expert, but things seem to be brightening up economically here in the UK, if that's not the same in other places, surely it will be?

Petrol today in Derby is £1.369!!! Only 7p more than 2018 prices.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 114128.jpg

And we've had some of the fastest growth of the G7 in the last reported quarter. Obviously that doesn't reflect the same in annual figures, due to poor performance in previous quarters, so there's a lot of catching up to do, but it's positive nonetheless.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 113354.jpg

So, if the UK 'seems' to be turning a corner, surely everywhere else will be too. Trump will come in at just the right time, when things were improving anyway, take all the credit, and we'll never hear the end of it!!! 🙈 😂

Leon_K

Mega Poster
The state of US politics is still very bizarre. The idea that you live in a country inhabited by 360 million people and the only two you can vote for are a lying lunatic and a man with dementia. I feel sorry for you my American friends.

I would never - nowhere in the world - support a person/party that still lives 100 years back in time, excludes minorities and made chasing the big money it's specialty. I am not from the USA and I don't know the details about the financial approach of both parties, but I'm pretty sure the Republican party is not going to make big economic difference.

Also why do so many non-Americans on this thread live Biden so much? At this rate ww3 is happening soon, and yall will be taken down with the ship. I'm just saying, I'm from California, a democratic state where gas prices are over 5 bucks a gallon near my house. Compare this to the South in Tennessee where gas prices hover around 2.75 a gallon
None of these points actually make a lot of sense. What you need when WW3 starts is a president that keeps a strong connection with the UN and other countries. Not a guy screaming he will drop it all if some countries don't pay there taxes. Aside from that you're comparing California - one of the most important tech and business states with high life standards - with Tennessee, a state that I don't know well but at least doesn't have the economic importance and population growth of California.

Everyone should vote whatever you want, long live democracy, but my values in life would make it pretty obvious where my vote would go.

Have a nice day everyone and go ride rollercoasters!

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think the difference between the UK and the US is that it was The Tories (blatantly awful), Vs the centrist sometimes boring Starmer. People decided they’d rather boring than chaos.

I actually like Starmer but I’m first to say he really isn’t breaking new ground, he just wants to try and fix basic things (planning permission), fair enough.

The US is a lot more dire IMO. Biden is boring, lacks charisma, and honestly I think should just retire. I think his age is really showing and he just seems to lack the energy that a leader should have.

Trump, we know that a lot of chaos, scandals, and drama will be a byproduct of re-electing him. He also has/had many legal challenges recently which really just proves that point! Charismatic guy but total narcissist. His speeches are admittedly fun to watch. Both parties have put forward some of their worst, maybe Kamala Harris would of been a riskier bet? Bernie Sanders is old but has more charisma in his old age that Biden has ever had. Can we get some Bernie in here?

Republicans also probably would of scored a free goal if they took a chance on anyone that wasn’t trump.