What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm totally convinced that this was supposed to be announced some time next year after whatever timeframe they meant by 'many months', but enthusiast sleuthing forced their hand a little.
I think you're probably right... It's definitely the Park Stop video that forced their hand in going public at this stage.

But I also think that they're much further ahead than they're letting on, and have actually managed to keep this under wraps for a long time already. The concept art of the potential junction 14 site is said to be at least 11 months old. And you don't just spend 10's of millions on land for a project like this without having already consulted local authorities.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
One of my closest friends lives in Marston M and I visit regularly. It definitely already has that "weird kind of desolate town situated right next to an airport" vibe locked down, so it's the perfect location for a major park like this!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Dunno about you lot, my newsfeed is full of this story, all the major news outlets seem to have it covered. Can't deny it, this seems to have gained more traction in the last 3 days than the London Resort did in 10 years. And so far, not one of those news stories have used the phrase 'Disneyland-style resort' yet, so that's a refreshing change in itself.

emoo

Hyper Poster
There will be complaints and objections, of course there will.

I bet the 'Hands Off Our Village' and 'Say No To Universal' signs are being hammered into hundreds of front lawns as we speak.

Maybe even a newly discovered ant that no one cared about until now. I can imagine an extra loon plucking one leg of each ant in many colonies just to get ahead of this.

But right now the excitement and reaction buzz is excellent. If this can expand the GPs notion that Disney is the only byword for desirable theme park all the better. I heard within 12 hours from someone who isn't into this stuff at all but was all 'have you seen this!!' with a respectable source.

As for any concept art I do hope that youtubers have more than one image to work off for the next 10 years. In the image we have that looks like the relocated Hard Rock park B&M, whatever that means.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
There will be complaints and objections, of course there will.

Maybe even a newly discovered ant that no one cared about until now. I can imagine an extra loon plucking one leg of each ant in many colonies just to get ahead of this.

But right now the excitement and reaction buzz is excellent. If this can expand the GPs notion that Disney is the only byword for desirable theme park all the better. I heard within 12 hours from someone who isn't into this stuff at all but was all 'have you seen this!!' with a respectable source.

As for any concept art I do hope that youtubers have more than one image to work off for the next 10 years. In the image we have that looks like the relocated Hard Rock park B&M, whatever that means.
The key thing to remember is that that it wasn't locals, SSSIs or Spiders that stopped the London Resort. They are all just excuses. The project was a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP.) If they'd really wanted to get started on construction, they could have overcome all of these issues years ago.

The London Resort failed because it was never supposed to get off the ground, it was an investment scam from the start!!!! (Allegedly*)

* For legal reasons I must stress that this is rumour, and not a matter of fact. There is no evidence and nobody has ever been charged with any wrongdoing.

Matt N

CF Legend
The key thing to remember is that that it wasn't locals, SSSIs or Spiders that stopped the London Resort. They are all just excuses. The project was a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP.) If they'd really wanted to get started on construction, they could have overcome all of these issues years ago.

The London Resort failed because it was never supposed to get off the ground, it was an investment scam from the start!!!! (Allegedly*)

* For legal reasons I must stress that this is rumour, and not a matter of fact. There is no evidence and nobody has ever been charged with any wrongdoing.
The SSSI thing was the ultimate nail in the coffin, though. It did arguably appear to be re-gaining some degree of momentum up to that point, what with the consultations and the DCO planning application in 2020. That momentum only really seemed to vanish when the environmental fracas started and the site was ultimately declared an SSSI.

Similar environmental issues were also the main thing that scuppered Universal’s prior attempt at a British park in Essex in the late 80s.

I’m hoping that this site won’t have the same problems seeing as the brickworks buildings were only demolished in 2021 and the plot has had previous business proposals gain planning permission.

cookie

Giga Poster
Similar environmental issues were also the main thing that scuppered Universal’s prior attempt at a British park in Essex in the late 80s.
They had basically been given the green light to acquire the Rainham Marshes site regardless of environmental concerns. They only pulled out because it was competing with another site in Paris, and the French government were more willing to support them fiscally. Then after Euro Disney became a financial albatross they scrapped the whole thing altogether.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The SSSI thing was the ultimate nail in the coffin, though. It did arguably appear to be re-gaining some degree of momentum up to that point, what with the consultations and the DCO planning application in 2020. That momentum only really seemed to vanish when the environmental fracas started and the site was ultimately declared an SSSI.

I’m hoping that this site won’t have the same problems seeing as the brickworks buildings were only demolished in 2021 and the plot has had previous business proposals gain planning permission.
Yeh sorry Matt, but you're wrong, An SSSI does not prevent all development. There are exemptions that can be made when "the benefits of the development, at this site, clearly outweigh both the impacts that it is likely to have on the features of the site that make it of special scientific interest and any broader impacts on the national network of Sites of Special Scientific Interest." As an NSIP it was likely to be deemed this way. Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't necessarily have meant "You can't build a theme park here."

Edited to add: To be clear, I'm not saying people 'should' be able to develop on SSSIs, I am a big believer in protecting our most precious natural places... I'm saying that it can and does happen.

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
I'd also disagree that the London Resort was gaining momentum, more limping on for no good reason. They just put out some more unoriginal concept art.

Universal however have a lot more good faith behind them especially with proof of recent large scale projects completed or on the go. They can counter argue any points brought against the project sensibly and look to resolve where important. As suggested they have very likely tested the waters & agreed on many key points so not to cause any avoidable public mess.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ok so this is beyond exciting, the UK really is becoming a high priority destination for theme parks and coasters over this coming decade. It's about time we caught up to the rest of the world, and I'd say Hyperia is kick-starting this. This is probably the most exciting time to be a British coaster enthusiast of ALL time.

Also going back a page to the Great Britain/UK discussion, do British natives honestly not know GB is the name of the island we live on? I thought that was very common knowledge... I can understand the misunderstanding if you're not from here though.

Sandman

Giga Poster
"A spokesperson for Universal said..... we look forward to engaging with stakeholders and the local community ".

That's the bit that worries me. I bet the 'Hands Off Our Village' and 'Say No To Universal' signs are being hammered into hundreds of front lawns as we speak.

Can't wait for the moment that we find out the Ropers moved into the local area from Staffordshire.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I always thought a site between Bedford and Milton Keynes on one of the old brickwork would be a great location for a park, which I later found out was one of the shortlisted sites for the doomed London Resort.

That said, if anyone can best the UK's challenging market it's Universal.

Hopes are not raised, however.
Sorry to quote my own comment, but I'm literally laughing at this right now.

I seriously need to get into clairvoyance or something.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sorry to quote my own comment, but I'm literally laughing at this right now.

I seriously need to get into clairvoyance or something.
Without sounding morbid, or disrespectful, as this is a genuine question, but are they still alive? Stephen Roper would be 81 / 82 now.

Matt N

CF Legend
Correct me if I’m wrong here, Nicky, but I’m assuming that @Nicky Borrill meant to quote the post by @Sandman rather than the post by @Tonkso.

In terms of the answer to your question; I don’t think there would be any way of knowing. They haven’t tried to go to court with Alton Towers for over 10 years now, but that could just be them growing more at ease with the park.

Graeme

Roller Poster
I always thought a site between Bedford and Milton Keynes on one of the old brickwork would be a great location for a park, which I later found out was one of the shortlisted sites for the doomed London Resort.

Yep, this was pretty amazing, to be fair. Are there other abandoned brickworks up there? It would be good if Disney would come to the UK as well. Bedford could become the UK's Orlando.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
No idea, not actually clairvoyant ;)
Correct me if I’m wrong here, Nicky, but I’m assuming that @Nicky Borrill meant to quote the post by @Sandman rather than the post by @Tonkso.

In terms of the answer to your question; I don’t think there would be any way of knowing. They haven’t tried to go to court with Alton Towers for over 10 years now, but that could just be them growing more at ease with the park.
Don't worry, I knew, I was just being silly on a late night train home.
Yeh that’s right, when I decided to reply, Sandman's was the last post, went to check dates / ages and Tonkso must have replied in that time without me noticing, so I just clicked reply to the bottom post.

Although it’s a bit creepy, and ironic, that his post mentioned becoming a clairvoyant!!! 🙈😂

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Hmm... I'm still edging on the side of cynicism here; I've been in this game a long time.

I'll start getting excited when I see some footers and not before.