What's new

''Tornado'' - Intamin spinning coaster for Bakken

Harvey

Hyper Poster
NickkyG said:
Considering this is a spinning coaster... it seemed to me that the car just stayed facing the same way the entire time. Shouldn't one side of the car be weighted to make it spin? Or does it purely rely on mismatched riders to make it spin?

The swift transistions and weight of the riders cause the cars to spin, I havn't seen the video yet, but if it didn't move at all, it was likely locked into place for that part of the testing.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
No, if it was locked in place then the car would rotate to face the direction the track was heading. In the video it kind faces the same way all the time, ie the wheels rotate and spin underneat the car. But it was empty so that's probably why.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
it was likely locked into place for that part of the testing.

Nah they're not locked, they do move, just not spin alot atm. I'm guessing it needs some weight, they ain;t using water dummies!.

But JEEEEEEEEEEZ how fast does it fly off that lift hill!! it's almost a launch.

Dave

CF Legend
I think it launches off the top to either give it more spin or to tie in with the twister theme.

A

Anonymous

Some friends of a friend of mine have been to Bakken recently and have ridden Tornado.

My friend said:
Some of my (non-enthusiast) friends were at Bakken over the weekend.

They report that Tornado looks amazing, but is (quote) "rougher than a bag
of spanners". Apparently they ended up with bruises from the restraints :/

For purposes of comparison, they thought the Mine Train was awesome.
OUCH, looks like the restraints did kill this ride...

Martyn B

CF Legend
The little straight section at the top of the lift must surely have some kind of launching device on it, unless the lift chain speeds up that much?

billede005.jpg

Edit: A description on a video on Youtube says this coaster uses Intamin's new Hydrolic chain lift Launch system thingy?

Peter

Hyper Poster
I would imagine that it goes up the full lift hill at that speed, as from the videos it seems to be doing a fair rate as soon as it hits the flat section at the top.

The pull out on the lift looks quite sharp. If it is as fast as we think, you might get some ejector airtime on the lift hill! :lol:

Another new coaster i'm looking forward to riding in a couple of months. :)

A

Anonymous

^^ I will know how it rides on Sunday, and I'll post here about it afterwards...

A

Anonymous

Rode the coaster yesterday, and I didn't like it at all. Rough with a lot of head banging, not pleasant at all.

About the lift...
It's stationary until a train reach it, then it matches it's speed to the incoming train and brings it up the lift normally (at normal speed), just before the top it launches the train to the speed that it leaves the lift-hill with. It uses the same system of Nitrogen under pressure that the Accelerators use, the tanks are located at the top of the lift. It sound's awful though, like someone is dropping a load of nuts and bolts onto a metal roof.

It's definitely the worst "new for 2009" coaster I have ridden though.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
No positives at all loefet? Theming any good? How does a spinning coaster manage to produce head-banging?

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Thats a bit dissapointing... UNLESS you've ridden some awesome new coasters this year, and this is actually good, but just no compared to the others...

The mini launch idea sounds fun though... it could be used to help compensate for parks which have a low ceiling. You still get that feeling of a first drop, but you're just helped over the top.

A

Anonymous

^^ It's way too tight for that kind of speed, so that you get flung around in the restraints (which have very sharp edges for a "soft" restraint), and it's really got a bad case of the "Intamin shake" which gave me a headache while riding it.

^ Yes I have ridden some awesome new coasters for this year, but as I explained above it got some issues that a new coaster shouldn't have. The themeing looks good from the outside but it's just a shed on the inside.

The good thing about it is that they are really putting through as many people as possible, as all other rides at Bakken.