What's new

''Tornado'' - Intamin spinning coaster for Bakken

A

Anonymous

UC said:
Though, I do wonder what they're doing on a ride where a regular lap bar would've sufficed...
That's what I meant by "shame about the OSTR's though...".

But I guess that these are better then the normal ones found on accelerator coasters etc. As they are the same model, with soft "over shoulder" part, as the ones found on the zac-spins.

MM!

A

Anonymous

^ True but they could have done something similar to that on Pilgrim's Plunge, where they only have the bar that comes down from a similar seat.

A

Anonymous

^ I'm not entirely sure of that, there is a lot of Intamin coaster with magnetic brakes without OSTR's (all the megas and TTD, Xcelerator, etc.).
But Tornado will also have launch (boost) sections and seeing that the train is spinning at the same time, then going backwards (or any other direction for that matter) over one of them would require something to hold you back, hence the OSTR bit.

Anyone that have ridden a Zac-spin that can give any insight on how these soft restrains are?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Perhaps this quote from the Mega Lite page on the Intamin site could give a clue for the reasoning behind this.
As there are no overhead figures foreseen, open design trains with lapbars can be used to further enhancing the thrill experience. It is however also possible to use the newly developed Intamin shoulder-bars, which are of very soft material and light design. With this restraint system the height restriction might be brought down.
Maybe since this is family oriented, they opted for OTSRs to lower the height limit?

Though I too am wondering why they didn't just use the Pilgrims Plunge style design.

Anac0nda

Mega Poster
The restraints are quite comfortable, like a seat belt in a car. First lowers the lap bar and after that, the OTSR part is tightened. If you sit a bit crouched, you'll get a VERY unpleasant ride. But if you sit normally, they are barely noticeable. In the ZacSpins the most forceful part is the brakes, since you enter them upside-down, but the restraints don't hurt.

A

Anonymous

Testing!!

billede004f.jpg

billede006.jpg

A

Anonymous

maybe that is why they have OTSR, cos of the steepish banking.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
Testing :)

Taken from a link on: Themeparkdenmark.dk
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIzMLsXiG5s[/youtube]

Ollie

CF Legend
I wonder what's inside the building? Probably no themeing at all apart from a couple of sheds and wind noises. :p

Looks quite good actually although I prefer spinners to have the seats facing outwards as facing inwards restricts the view.
Although those cars do look very open which is good. :)

marc

CF Legend
This coaster will still be better than Saw, as it does something :)

And it looks quiet fast and at last a new coaster thats not a bloody Eurofighter :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Also the speed it comes of the lifthill in that video 34 seconds in (assuming it's the top of the lifthill) is bloody amazing. :D

A

Anonymous

Was it this coaster I read about having booster sections?

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
holy moses, the speed that thing goes up the lift with is RIDICULOUS.

Incredible Hulk, anyone?

I did always think that the top section looked pretty flat --> slow, but now it all makes alot more sense...

I also notice there's two lift chains... presumebly to ease the strain on the chains with the lift occuring at such a speed...?

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Possibly as the anti-rollback check. ZacSpins have 2 chains too. Fahrenheit uses two and doesn't have an anti-rollback device. The 2nd chain is their failsafe. That may be the case here.

But wow... awesome speed off the top of the lift.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Considering this is a spinning coaster... it seemed to me that the car just stayed facing the same way the entire time. Shouldn't one side of the car be weighted to make it spin? Or does it purely rely on mismatched riders to make it spin?