What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Re: Top 10(ish): 2015 Edition - page 27

Colorado Adventure should clearly take at least your #10 spot!

Ben

CF Legend

You don't need more parks, the ones you've been to have much better coasters already!

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Haven't ridden X, but surely Vogel Rok is much better? Isn't it?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I love how despite being a thread based on personal opinion, people still hit on others for their choices. I can totally relate to Josh. I have Raging Bull at number six because I enjoy it. Most everyone in the coaster community talks crap about it, but I thoroughly enjoy it. It has a great first drop, some decent floater, and pulls quite a few Gs on the final turns. If someone likes a family coaster over a high thrill coaster, so be it.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Ben said:
You don't need more parks, the ones you've been to have much better coasters already!

Was worth a try I guess ;)

It's weird to explain. I don't think that X is the 10th 'best' coaster I've done, but I really do enjoy it. My Top 10 list would look slightly different if I was to rank it on what I think are the best coasters I've done, as opposed to my favourite ones - it's a subtle difference for me.

In terms of my favourite coasters, X does just about sneak on there (Vogel Rok, Werewolf at Walibi Belgium and Dragon's Fury are all very close to it). I guess there's a fair amount of sentimental feelings going for X too, which probably helps it out a lot.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

It's a shame X is going in the next year or to for a club room. X is so boring I only ride it for the music not even that sometimes I just stand in the queue on a quiet day for 5 minutes and then go to better coasters such as Stealth and Saw.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Yeah, just when X starts to actually build up some momentum, it's slowed down by like 5 different MCBRs. Quite a boring ride that does nothing.

As for me, Verbolten is the obvious questionable ride that's in my Top 10. I got to ride it several times and I kept liking it even more and it was just way too much fun. (and the fact I didn't no about the drop gave me a wow factor).

I think in general if I get to whore a coaster more and more I tend to enjoy it a lot more, and I raise it higher on my list. That especially is what happened with Skyrush, Boulder Dash, Nemesis, Verboten, and Roar-O-Saurus, all of which I've ridden 10+ times with only up to a few visits at each park. Hell, if I only rode Skyrush a couple times, it wouldn't even be my #1.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

Ben said:
^Mate, you're going to have to explain why Raptor is number one above some really amazing rides!
The finale of Raptor is probably the happiest I've ever felt on a coaster. Two forceful flatspins, an amazing helix and the infamous Raptor smack (which was actually my favorite part of the ride) are what solidified this ride as my new number one. It's just so aggressive! :--D

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Mysterious Sue said:
Hang on, someone actually has X:/wtf in thier top ten? Hold the cucumber sandwiches. Do we need an intervention?
I actually had it in my number ten spot for some time. Then I came to my senses. I consider it more of a "funny rough" ride similar to Wild Beast, FoF, or T3.

CarolinaRider said:
Ben said:
^Mate, you're going to have to explain why Raptor is number one above some really amazing rides!
The finale of Raptor is probably the happiest I've ever felt on a coaster. Two forceful flatspins, an amazing helix and the infamous Raptor smack (which was actually my favorite part of the ride) are what solidified this ride as my new number one. It's just so aggressive! :--D
While I didn't fall in love with it like you did, I do have to step in and add in defense that those wingovers are some of the best inversions on any invert I've ridden. I find the ride too soulless and rough to rank it above most inverts but those wingovers and helix are fab.

So for my top 25...

1. Fury 325
2. The Voyage
3. Cheetah Hunt
4. Millennium Force (this and CH swap places a lot though)
5. Leviathan
6. Maverick
7. Thunderbird
8. Banshee
9. Top Thrill Dragster
10. Behemoth
11. GateKeeper
12. Full Throttle
13. Montu
14. Thunderhead
15. Intimidator
16. The Beast
17. Magnum XL-200
18. Afterburn
19. Wild Eagle
20. The Raven
21. SFOG Goliath
22. El Loco
23. Lightning Run
24. Diamondback
25. Thunder Run

Hutch

Strata Poster

Jarrett said:
Mysterious Sue said:
Hang on, someone actually has X:/wtf in thier top ten? Hold the cucumber sandwiches. Do we need an intervention?
I actually had it in my number ten spot for some time. Then I came to my senses. I consider it more of a "funny rough" ride similar to Wild Beast, FoF, or T3.
They're referring to X at Thorpe Park, not X2. ;) X at Thorpe is just a dull indoor family coaster which is why it raised a ton of eyebrows. Pretty sure it's in my bottom 5. :p

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Sanchezmran said:
Jarrett said:
Mysterious Sue said:
They're referring to X at Thorpe Park, not X2. ;) X at Thorpe is just a dull indoor family coaster which is why it raised a ton of eyebrows. Pretty sure it's in my bottom 5. :p
Duh! That was dumb of me. :p Disregard, not going to judge since I haven't ridden it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

1)The Voyage Holiday World
2) Goliath SFGAm
3) Skyrush Hersheypark
4) Maverick CP
5) Outlaw Run SDC
6) Thunderhead Dollywood
7) Raging Bull SFGAm
8) Superman: Ride of Steel SFA
9) Top Thrill Dragster CP
10)Thunderbird Holiday World

Updates in bold.

Holiday World is really good at getting great coasters. Voyage is just amazing. Long, airtime filled, intense, and in the woods. It's like The Beast on steroids. It's amazing.

Thunderbird took me by surprise. That launch snap is almost Intamin quality. B&M nailed their first launch coaster, and made my favorite Wingrider out there. Again, it's in the woods, it doesn't let up, and is just an overall solid ride.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

1) The Voyage Holiday World
2) Goliath SFGAm
3) Skyrush Hersheypark
4) Maverick CP
5) Outlaw Run SDC
6) Thunderhead Dollywood
7) Raging Bull SFGAm
8) Superman: Ride of Steel SFA
9) Top Thrill Dragster CP
10)Lightning Run Kentucky Kingdom

Only for a day, but Thunderbird didn't stand a chance against Lightning Run. I find it like if RMC made a ground-up steel coaster. It throws you everywhere, and anywhere. The airtime is insane, and the banks are just so fab. My only problem is the operations. Otherwise, it's really a great coaster.

Updates in bold.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

andrus

Giga Poster

^Lightning Run is designed by Ride Centerline, the same company that designs the coasters for RMC. I.e. it isn't very strange that Lightning Run rides similar to an RMC! LR looks like a blast, definitely a coaster that is high up on my to do list!

Ben

CF Legend

Shame they couldn't help out with the restraints :(

Lightning Run is amazing, the trains suck.

Jer

Strata Poster

Small update, check back in October when I got to BGE and there may be more

1. Phoenix @ Knoebels
2. Maverick @ Cedar Point
3. Skyrush @ Hershey
4. Ravine Flyer II @ Waldameer
5. Bizzaro @ SFNE
6. El Toro @ SFGAdv
7. Boulder Dash @ Lake Compounce
8. Nitro @ SFGAdv
9. Impulse @ Knoebels
10. Gatekeeper @ Cedar Point

ThomVD

Giga Poster

1. Helix (Liseberg)
2. Black Mamba (Phantasialand)
3. Silver Star (Europa Park)
4. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
5. Junker (PowerPark)
6. Joris en de Draak (Efteling)
7. Blue Fire (Europa Park)
8. Goliath (Walibi Holland)
9. Karacho (Tripsdrill)
10. Baron 1898 (Efteling)
11. Anubis (Plopsaland De Panne)
12. Troy (Toverland)
13. Twister (Gröna Lund)
14. Wodan (Europa Park)
15. Colorado Adventure (Phantasialand)
16. Balder (Liseberg)
17. Lisebergbanan (Liseberg)
18. Winjas Fear & Force (Phantasialand)
19. Thunderbird (PowerPark)
20. Jetline (Gröna Lund)

Junker is just incredible. It has such a great variety of amazing elements. I'll go more in depth in my report.

Thunderbird was a disappointment. It's still a really fun family woodie, but lacked the kick that I love GCIs for. It's a bit too tame for my liking. The pacing and airtime were both lacking mostly. It's definitely a notch weaker than Joris, Troy and even Wodan. Still a good coaster and deserves a place in my top 20. Will probably drop down quite a bit the more my count grows.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

In the middle of my first day at PA, currently resting in hotel. Shambhala lived up to the hype and unsurprisingly is my new number 1. Ridiculously fun, smooth and comfortable. Amazing floater airtime, I made sure I had plenty of room between my thighs and the bar so I could literally float. Dragon Khan was a solid and intense coaster but quite an ear basher however I loved the long length. Nemesis at AT is better though despite being under a minute.

When I get back into the park it will be time for Hurakan Condor and Furius Baco! Baco is a real marmite coaster that people either love or hate, hopefully it'll be my favourite launch coaster.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

No new creds have made it into my top 25 since I last posted in here, but I've done some rearranging and a certain, once unpopular German B&M Hyper has made a significant jump in my rankings after recent rides, so I thought I'd do an update.

1. Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
2. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
3. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
4. Goliath, Walibi Holland
5. Shambhala, Port Aventura
6. Piraten, Djurs Sommerland
7. Phoenix, Knoebels
8. Monster, Walygator Parc
9. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain
10. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa

11. Junker, Power Park
12. Helix, Liseberg
13. Tatsu, Six Flags Magic Mountain
14. Talon, Dorney Park
15. Nemesis, Alton Towers
16. Troy, Toverland
17. Silver Star, Europa Park
18. Alpina Blitz, Nigloland
19. Griffon, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
20. Balder, Liseberg
21. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
22. Altair CCW-0204, Cinecitta World
23. Manta, Sea World Orlando
24. Blue Fire, Europa Park
25. Storm Runner, Hershey Park

I've had an interesting journey with Silver Star over the three visits to Europa Park that I have ridden it on. The first time (2011), the trims were on and the ride had very little airtime, so I agreed with a lot of the 'hate' it got. The following year, I was much more impressed. Good floater airtime on all the hills thanks to the lack of trimming, but it also had quite a nasty rattle, which detracted from the experience somewhat. However, after riding it six times over the last couple of days, it was much smoother (My Dad said it was almost as smooth as it was in its first few years of operation) and the airtime was sublime. 'Strong floater' would be the best way to describe it and while I'm more of an ejector fan, it was still beautiful <3. With that being two visits where the trims haven't been used and its popularity seeming to rise over the past few years, I am almost certain that the trimming is a thing of the past on Silver Star and it is now performing as well as it was always meant to.

I've done a bit more shuffling around of stuff, but the only notable change is dropping Helix from my Top 10 (although, it's only gone down 3 places). Riding Blue Fire again, gave me insight into what Helix is just slightly lacking; something I could never put my finger on at the time. It's doesn't give me that "I need to ride again" feeling as much as any of the coasters that are now above it. I'd say it's almost too satisfying. It packs in everything possible and does several things very well, but by doing SO much, the re-rideability factor is reduced a little for me. Blue Fire on the other hand, clearly does less and is not as thrilling, but I love the way it leaves me wanting so many more re-rides. I'm not saying Blue Fire is better than Helix because it's not, I was just using it as a slight contrast to explain my small issue with Helix. It's still a bloody good coaster and the layout offers a very impressive amount of diversity, but I just don't feel it's quite worthy of being in my Top 10. This means that Montu moves in again for at least a little while, which actually makes me really happy <3.

Sorry for the rather lengthy explanations, but I thought both developments deserved some elaboration.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

1. Helix (Liseberg)
2. Black Mamba (Phantasialand)
3. Silver Star (Europa Park)
4. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
5. Cú Chulainn (Tayto Park)
6. Junker (PowerPark)
7. Joris en de Draak (Efteling)
8. Blue Fire (Europa Park)
9. Goliath (Walibi Holland)
10. Karacho (Tripsdrill)
11. Baron 1898 (Efteling)
12. Anubis (Plopsaland De Panne)
13. Troy (Toverland)
14. Twister (Gröna Lund)
15. Wodan (Europa Park)
16. Colorado Adventure (Phantasialand)
17. Balder (Liseberg)
18. Lisebergbanan (Liseberg)
19. Winjas Fear & Force (Phantasialand)
20. Thunderbird (PowerPark)

Had the pleasure of riding two incredible coasters this week (Cú and Junker). Bit scared of Joris slowly moving down my list. The day it leaves my top 10 will be a sad day :(