What's new

Thorpe Park to retheme Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Wonderful, another drab, dark and miserable experience. At least you hopefully won't die of boredom, unlike DBGT.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Wouldn't go as far as to say I'm "excited" for it. Mildly curious, maybe. Am I curious enough to make the trek down to Thorpe again, seeing as we were only there last month? Hmm... probably not.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Wouldn't go as far as to say I'm "excited" for it. Mildly curious, maybe. Am I curious enough to make the trek down to Thorpe again, seeing as we were only there last month? Hmm... probably not.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not booking tickets for the end of the month but I do need to take J at some point so will make sure to check it out when I do go with him.
Curious is probably the better word, but I do love an actual ghost train/theme.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Platform 13... is this just going to be Xpress minus the Vekoma? Because strangely, that would be an improvement.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I'm actually excited to see what they've done with it.

Realistically it probably won't be extraordinary.

But anything "better than DBGT" would be good.

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Platform 13... is this just going to be Xpress minus the Vekoma? Because strangely, that would be an improvement.
Even an indoor Vekoma family boomerang would probably be better and scarier than DBGT and indeed an improvement. Or a Gerstlauer family boomerang (see the new Firle Franz ride in Bayern Park, pretty neat actually)

I didn't think DBGT was the end of the world. It was interesting doing it as a one off, but the wait was ridiculous.
Like others have hinted at, sure I'm curious about the retheme also but it's probably going to be another do it once and never again type of experience where an actual indoor track (or trackless) ride would be much better, better reliability, better re-ride-ability and people feeling less intimidated with the whole live actor thing (personally I'm not a big fan as much as the staff try).

I also don't know why Merlin constantly put their faith in the likes of Derren Brown, David Walliams and Charlie Brooker, who interestingly are all the same age. All 3 are pretty marmite type of guys and at least two of them spout constant politics.
I think these were all bad moves. Brown was already a has been around 2016, maybe 10 years before that, it would have attracted youngsters more.
Naming a whole area in a theme park after a writer seems weird to me. Even Stephen King or JK Rowling don't get that. Their creations might but not them as individuals. In this day of cancellations etc I found it dumb what they did with Walliams. Sure keep Gangsta Granny or whatever but "the wonderful world of x"? Mad and they were just asking for trouble, which they now have to a certain extent.

Good to see Chessington doing Jumani, that seems a much better idea.

If you have to go down the IP tie in route in Thorpe again, and one that isn't Universal or Disney owned and doesn't have a ride yet, something like Stranger Things would have seemed like an obvious choice to me. But even that franchise is possibly nearing the end of people caring.

Last edited:

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
If you have to go down the IP tie in route in Thorpe again, and one that isn't Universal or Disney owned and doesn't have a ride yet, something like Stranger Things would have seemed like an obvious choice to me. But even that franchise is possibly nearing the end of people caring.

Stranger Things will likely be very expensive at the moment - Thorpe will pick it up in 2035 when it's cheap, and they can do the 4th iteration of X:// No Way Out.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Thorpe would have a cat in hell's chance of securing an IP as big as Stranger Things. It's like the second biggest show Netflix has ever produced.