What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lofty

CF Legend
owenrita121 said:
It's great that they want to scare people, but I told my freinds about this and they don't won't to ride it anymore.

Less queues for me. <333

Your friends are retards.

Joey's right.

At the end of the day. Their Marketing has worked. While this is a STUPID PR stunt, it's worked. Someone in the PR Department is obviously raking in the cash.

Swat

Hyper Poster
What's the point in marketing? To get people to talk about the ride, look's like its successful at least on here.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Great PR Stunt. Joey's pretty much summed it all up.

To us it does sound ridiculous because we know it's basically a load of balls, but to the 99.9% of everyone else who this is aimed, it will get the name out and the new ride noticed.

If there really was something wrong with the ride I don't think Thorpe Park would be willing to say it was because a dummy lost a leg.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
-lofty- said:
owenrita121 said:
It's great that they want to scare people, but I told my freinds about this and they don't won't to ride it anymore.

Less queues for me. <333

Your friends are retards.

Joey's right.

At the end of the day. Their Marketing has worked. While this is a STUPID PR stunt, it's worked. Someone in the PR Department is obviously raking in the cash.
Their not retards at all, their just GP.

Lofty

CF Legend
Not being funny, but most GP won't go; "Oh, ****. The test dummies' legs come off. **** that. I'm not riding anymore". They just won't.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
owenrita121 said:
Their not retards at all, their just GP.

If they don't know the difference between they're, their and there then there may be a chance they're going to fit the bill and would deserve their moniker ;)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Have you heard yourself. Stop moaning over tiny things.

Back to topic... Thorpe park giving away free fast tracks for THE SWARM, if you book online before the 31st of January. Only if it's an adult ticket though.

Ben

CF Legend
It's funny how every other park in the World manages without "brilliant" marketing schemes like this, and it's just the Merlin group that feel the need to throw out absolute crap.

I can't wait for RBS's adverts about "WE HAD TO BAILED OUT! BANK WITH US!"... cause that's the same idea.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^On top of that, you're disrespecting yourself and everyone else on the site, just because we're enthusiasts doesn't mean we're special to the parks, we're still GP.

I couldn't care less about the publicity stunt, it wasn't that bad. I found it quite humourous if anything. Well, it made me read on and I guarantee most of you read it as well so...

Ben

CF Legend
But, not all publicity IS good publicity...

And I'm not just saying that cause I'm a "arrogant enthusiast".

If I saw an advert for kettles that used to spit boiling water all over you, and that was what they were selling it on, I'd be a bit WTFed out.

Or, maybe more appropriate, a horror film that ends with Jason Vorhees knocking on your front door and chasing you for ten minutes. It's more real kids cause that machete he just got from Walmart is ACTUALLY sharp!

Basically, a coaster that chops bits of you off is a faulty product. Any company in the World, park or not, would not want to advertise that their product does actual bodily harm to you, but, it's OK, you might be fine!

It comes back to my point of, if this is SUCH a good marketing campaign, why don't more parks do it?

Lofty

CF Legend
Um, UC, I wasn't calling ALL GP as retarded, you're not realising I work in the Entertainment Industry and am in close contact with all GP members constantly, they pay my wages. I was calling his friend's if you look properly, if your comment wasn't aimed at me, I'd understand but looking at it, it kind of was...

Yeah, I'm actually in contact with Merlin on personal terms, and the thing I don't understand is the fact people label MERLIN as the promoter of such material as this, when in fact it's down to each individual park and their marketing team, that's it, Merlin don't just have one PR Member, they have a team at EACH attraction.

alborada

Roller Poster
"when in fact it's down to each individual park and their marketing team, that's it, Merlin don't just have one PR Member, they have a team at EACH attraction."

Not sure what you're getting at, do you really think Thorpe park would go ahead with a pr stunt like this without the consent of the Merlin group? Merlin are responsible for Thorpe Park PR plain and simple, just because they have individual marketing teams for each park does not mean that they operate completely independently..

alborada

Roller Poster
"Get the hell over yourselves"
I don't think you have the right to tell people how they should feel about something like this, just because you disagree. The point you seem to be missing is that they are spreading mis-information, and the fact that the papers are either in on it or have been fooled is disturbing. You may say it's all fun and games, harmless promotion etc. but where do you draw the line with these things? When I read an article in a newspaper I expect it to be factual, not a made up, fraudulent story that is designed specifically to trick people, serves to undermine professional practices in the industry, and is there solely to generate revenue for a corporation.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think comparing Swarm to a product isn't quite right.

It's more like somewhere advertising their hotel is haunted. Not quite the same, but it's closer to that. The concept of it being an experience is relevant in peoples minds. Seeing the coaster as a "product" is removing it from the way it is perceived by the masses and the way it is illustrated in this marketing stunt.

I'm pretty sure there ARE similar marketing campaigns out there but I cannot think of one...

It's kinda like saying "our ride was SO hardcore, we pushed the boundaries a bit too far and had to draw it in a little". It's boasting about trying to genuinely make a terrifying experience.

Tony's (mothers boyfriend, cab driver, listens to the radio all day) regurgitation of what was on the radio (and whilst I hope Tony does not represent the masses I unfortunately think he does) was this... "They had to close a ride at Thorpe Park today because a test dummy lost a leg and now they're having to change it."

I think most people genuinely think that this is now the normal procedure to test a ride and, if anything, it's proof that it's safe in most people's eyes. "It wasn't safe, but we've fixed it!" Admitting to a fault shows honesty and people psychology soften to that. When someone admits they made a mistake, people talk kindly about them simply because they admitted it.

It comes back to my point of, if this is SUCH a good marketing campaign, why don't more parks do it?
That logic is faultier than the boiling water spurting kettle.

Firstly, it has been done within Merlin before. When they suggested that Thirteen could cause psychological trauma.

And with Oblivion, which still to this day, suggests you could die in the ride queue video.

You wouldn't expect anything like this from most of the worlds parks, only a few countries in Europe simply because of cultural reasons. You couldn't pull this off in the USA, for example.

But even past that, it works because it's shocking, because it's unusual... But shocking marketing campaigns are nothing new, they are just not common because they are risky and because they work if infrequent and unexpected.

There's also the point that Thorpe has a unique audience.

And because, it's not about it being a really good marketing campaign... It's just about it being a way to get people talking about Thorpe. How do you get people taking about Thorpe? Well, if it's obvious that it's advertising you switch a lot of people off already unless they are interested in the product to start with. Viral advertising and stuff like this works because you either don't know that you're talking about the product, but your raising interest in elements about it, or in this case people don't realise Thorpe WANT them to be discussing this. It makes it interesting. Thorpe is the kind of product where almost any publicity is good publicity.

And, as a WTF last point, there's also the idea that this could be normalising the idea of ride failures. As horrible as that sounds, normalising a shocking concept that potentially damages any theme park a couple of times a year is a pretty interesting idea. Every time a guest watches a ride testing, maybe with this marketing campaign in mind they will think "wow, they really do a lot to avoid accidents with people look how much they test the rides they must be safe". Not literally, but... Ya know what I mean.

Yeah, I'm actually in contact with Merlin on personal terms, and the thing I don't understand is the fact people label MERLIN as the promoter of such material as this, when in fact it's down to each individual park and their marketing team, that's it, Merlin don't just have one PR Member, they have a team at EACH attraction.
Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure there are separate marketing teams who work on site at each attraction. It's evident from being an observer this is the case.

Lofty

CF Legend
alborada said:
"when in fact it's down to each individual park and their marketing team, that's it, Merlin don't just have one PR Member, they have a team at EACH attraction."

Not sure what you're getting at, do you really think Thorpe park would go ahead with a pr stunt like this without the consent of the Merlin group? Merlin are responsible for Thorpe Park PR plain and simple, just because they have individual marketing teams for each park does not mean that they operate completely independently..

Actually, you're wrong. They're not "plain and simply responsible" at all. PR is controlled by the park's PR team, they create stunts/articles/plans etc, then send them straight out. There's a sort of Hierarchal System, you're right. But it doesn't work as in; A PR Team > Pr Manager > Merlin PR Manager > Release.

An example of this as a fact is the whole Morwenna Angrove scenario that happened at Alton Towers. She was sadly fired for her PR mishaps. When, if she sent this to an overall Merlin PR Manager, she wouldn't have lost her job, someone above her would have.

Before you start correcting me, I've worked with a lot of PR companies/people in my past and this is how they've all worked under BIG companies. So I'm holding this down on how other companies work, if I'm incorrect, I'll hold my hands up, but I really don't think I am...

Twn114

Roller Poster
And with Oblivion, which still to this day, suggests you could die in the ride queue video.

That is probably what the marketing team were aiming for, trying to envoke fear to ride the swarm! the stunt ties in with the theme of 'the end is coming' and destroyed buildings and planes!

I think it is great publicity, funny and grabs people's attention.

I personally think that not many people, even GP would take this stunt to heart because not everyone is really stupid enough to believe it!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think what Joey is saying is very true, though he may have over-egged the cake a little. Generally though, it's almost as though they're letting the public in on a bit of their "safety testing" so people are seeing a bit behind what goes into the process of making a coaster, and making it safe.

However, I'm still with alborada in that I think that it's wrong to lie about it and to trick the public. While we're supposed to be showing respect to the parks and PR department (looking at UC here now ;) ), how about they show some respect for the National Media and guests? Lying to the media and about how these things are done to the media for the purpose of free advertising is morally wrong. While talking about morals and the Daily Mail is a bit like discussing pollution with a turd, it's still wrong!

Twn114 said:
I personally think that not many people, even GP would take this stunt to heart because not everyone is really stupid enough to believe it!

Very true, but please don't call the people stupid enough to believe it stupid* ;)

-lofty- said:
Before you start correcting me, I've worked with a lot of PR companies/people in my past and this is how they've all worked under BIG companies. So I'm holding this down on how other companies work, if I'm incorrect, I'll hold my hands up, but I really don't think I am...

That's also how it works here. We have an umbrella organisation that oversees the sub-companies much like Merlin, but they generally operate day to day completely independently. I think most businesses would struggle to work in any other manner. There will be a small team in Thorpe dealing solely with the publicity of The Swarm. If they need larger budgets and the like then they'll go through their managers and possibly Merlin if it over-runs budget - but day to day stuff like this, website updates, Tweets, Facebook pages, etc, etc, etc will be dealt with at Thorpe by Thorpe PR employees.

Well, that's the way I can see it happening and can't really see it any other way.

*and if you do, make sure that it's you who gets the blame and not me.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I also just had a thought.

I wonder if we see another marketing stunt where they prove how safe it is by getting some tall celebrities to ride it.

But yeah, Furie is right... I'm over icing the cake, but you get the gist.

You also have to remember that to be able to incite any fear in the British audience with themed entertainment without making them jump (that's cheating) is an incredible feat. You can push us a lot more than you can many cultures. If people ride this and then **** themselves when the near misses make them momentarily think they will loose a limb, amazing.

Want cake now.

Martyn B

CF Legend

You should see the comments on the Yahoo news page.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.