What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
I thought I was going to get airtime on Raptor then, yes you can guess it, TRIM lol.

I think the coaster looks good, seems to flow well. I cannot wait to see it finished with all the theming in place.

I think it will be a totally different experience to Raptor though as on that its very enclosed and you cannot see whats coming next, on this its very open and out there. Its like comparing Nemesis to Inferno for example.

rich210uk

Mega Poster
The Swarm is actually about 17 feet longer than Raptor, I do remember thinking Raptor was short after being on it but not dissapointed! :) Only airtime we got on Raptor was if you sat right at the back and at the first drop

Mike T

Mega Poster
I'm just waiting for one of these rides to incorporate a snap transition as found on I305 and Maverick. That's the direction I'd like to see these types of coasters take - a nice play on directional changes to make your left and right wing experiences completely different.

Dollywood on the other hand failed with their design.

Ollie

CF Legend
A fan has composed his own soundtrack for The Swarm. It's pretty good and actually sounds like the sort of thing Thorpe would use. The park like it as well as they've posted it on their Facebook and Twitter pages.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU1TJX60VyA[/youtube]

Mark

Strata Poster
Its a great piece of music but for a queue line it would drive me insane. I had to turn it off after 4 minutes because it was getting too repititive and irritating. If it had a bit more variation in it I would say it was far closer. By variation I mean like in the Colossus music. That has 3 distinct sections in it and that variation really helps, other wise it just becomes the same few notes over and over.

dominoes

Mega Poster
^^I love the way he suggests sounds like the chain lift and the sound of the cars passing along the track. I do understand what Mark means, but I feel that repitition is realistic with theme park music. It is always repetitive so you don't know when the song ends, and when it starts again.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I kind of hope that it doesn't have any theme music, and goes the route of just having sounds... Not unlike Saw, but without the actual music.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Have any wingriders (baco and Raptor) been bad???

I can't say about Raptor but I think Baco is quality, but I'll find it hard to compare that with The Swarm considering they aren't both launched.

I'm looking forward to riding The Swarm but I do have my concerns about the duration of it.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^Baco is lush, even if it does beat you senseless, but that down to where you sit. But on the front right-hand side at night, it gave one of the best rollercoaster experiences I've ever endured.

I can imagine The Swarm being more elegant, kind of like a slightly more intense AIR, rather than being whipped about on Baco.

Rob

Mega Poster
^ Lord, lets not start a Baco vs. Swarm argument; it's like comparing Kahn to Colossus. They're similar one aspect, but otherwise totally different. (Not for a second am I moaning about Baco, or saying it's anything like colossus, I LOVE Baco).

The Swarm looks good, but it's still typical UK; shorter in both height and length than everyone would like to see. Got a problem with that? Blame land prices, planning laws and shipping/construction/tax costs....

...oh hi Shambhala

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^ I'm not being funny or anything here, but if you could've planned this coaster what else would you have added to the layout, and how much taller would you make it? That's not me having a go at you, it's just people are complaining about length, but I bet if there were anymore inversions people would bring up the "WHY DO THEY NEED SO MANY INVERSIONS WHEN THEY HAVE COLOSSUS?/ TOO MANY INVERSIONS CLOSE TOGETHER MAKE ME SICK" (I seem to remember Taylor saying the latter about Colossus, ha!) arguments.

As for me, yeah okay it does look as short as Inferno (maybe shorter?) but I can't wait for the experience. Having nothing beneath you on the outer seats will be immense./Wingrider virgin.

I'm also with Joey on the soundtrack, I'm imagining it will have generic war soundclips like guns, air-strike sirens and droning plane engines, maybe a few explosion sounds here and there. It could be very immersive if they pull it off well.

Swat

Hyper Poster
Not matter how long, tall, fast or the ride type not everyone is going to be pleased. I think Merlin have done an outstanding job so far once the landscaping and final pieces of themeing this should look amazing. Also being on its own island should hopefully make it more immersive with no other music or themes clashing with the disaster style. The only thing is I can't help but feel like this may seem cut off from the rest of the park and the bottle necks are going to be hideous.

Edit:

Helicopter looks to be in place:
(Bottom left in the trees)
eyespy.jpg

the king

Mega Poster
I don't think the helicopter is there yet. Maybe when they bring in the lorry and the camera van, then maybe it might be with them. But let's wait and see.

marc

CF Legend
Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

I heard they were going to fly it in and land it between the tracks

Mark

Strata Poster
Isn't the helicopter supposed to be in the middle of the turnaround bit? (as apose to at the bottom of the inclined loop as apparently in the picture...)

iblamefish

Roller Poster
To everyone saying it's too short - it's longer than Nemesis! Is Nemesis too short for you and a crap ride because of it? I think not. (Here come the flames) I'm not comparing the two rides, I know they're two completely different beasts, all I am trying to point out is that a short length doesn't mean it'll be disappointing.

It looks to me like the experience of this ride might be close to being as good as Nemesis with all of the choppers, the theming, and I reckon the elements will flow together quite nicely. No chance it'll be as intense though ;(

I'll say now that I'm not really a fan of those inline twist inversions - I don't really get them, but sat on the edge being totally unaware of the track and having nothing above or below me might convince me otherwise (although Furius Baco's didn't.)

I'm really looking forwards to my first inclined loop though.

My mission for the next two months is to work out which side I want to ride first...

Status
Not open for further replies.