What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Strata Poster
Rush said:
Thorpe Park Mania have just posted footage of the in-line twist. From the looks of things it's literally going to fly OVER the station as opposed to be besides it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWQSRu6qiY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Epic.

It is slightly to one side of the main 'atrium' of the church roof and hall. You can see it in the full video that they released. It passes alongside the Roof beams that are above the main hall of the station. I think that extra bit of building is either the entrance or exit to the station (well its not going to be anything else I guess lol)

Either way, it still looks very cool!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I think it looks better than I thought, then again I thought it was being blown out of the water by fanboys everywhere for being the best thing ever. Wild Eagle will still **** all over it though <3. Looks to be a fun ride, nothing too amazing.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I knew everyone was gonna comment on the speed... :roll:

It's an illusion, the trains are large so it looks like it's taken at slower speed, plus you have to take into context the forces that the outer seats will produce as it rotates through the elements. Looks nice and graceful, and will be a nice addition to Thorpe! :)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Ok seriously, if you think Wild Eagle will "sh** it over" The Swarm, go talk about it in the Wild Eagle topic. Your hardly contributing :/

Anyways... in the video from the Dev Diary, was that the FIRST ever test run filmed a few days ago? Because we saw the testing pictures beforehand. Oh and my bet is that they had to ditch the helicopter seeing as they have begun work on the queue lines.

AJ

Giga Poster
^ Since when has starting work on the queue line indicated they've dropped a piece of theming?

They may just be awaiting arrival, we don't know. They still have 2 months to literally just crane a chopper into place.

Also, the back of the plane still pisses me off with its 'perfect' appearance.

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster
I think it looks incredible. a little slow on the inlcined loop and corkscrew but the first drop looks amazing and really fast , I reckon that baby was going somewhere between 55-60 mph but thats just a guess based on the speed of the other wingriders. The inline twist is completely different to Raptors cause it looks like it goes through it a lot faster and has less hangtime. I think this is short but most rides in the UK are short so its not a big deal. cant wait to ride on 25th March ... thats when Im visiting Thorpe , YAY :D

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Off topic slightly but I feel that Wild Eagle is pulling a Griffon/Sheikra on the Wing Coaster. Taking a concept and throwing all the important bits out the window.

I'm sure Wild Eagle will be outstanding, but it's complete rejection of everything that even Six Flags have took onboard is just odd, I think. Why go for a Wing Coaster and then just pretend it's any old sit down? It feels like It's missing an opportunity to point out why it's different and special by not drawing attention to the isolation of the seating. I don't think by name alone it's really doing that at all, but hey we'll see.

This is one thing I really like about Tussauds/Merlin, they don't ever miss an opportunity to go "LOOK! Look, this is special... BECAUSE it does this! It's DIFFERENT from that BECAUSE it does this!" and I think that's important. Making the general public aware like that is fantastic.

I'm not saying Swarm will be a better ride than Wild Eagle or that coaster types cannot ever evolve, but from a creative perspective I really think it's such a missed opportunity.

The second video of Swarm looks pretty spectacular actually. Really fantastic having it roll over the station like that. It's going to feel like it's completely out of nowhere when it does fly across because the Station is still mostly enclosed. The drama that Thunderhead at Dollywood creates when it rockets past the station roof is great.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Nothing to contribute, just thought I'd voice my thrill after seeing (well mainly hearing) that video. Can't wait for March. B&M ROAR!!
Also loving the view through the church roof - that's going to help relieve the boredom of the queue :--D

HZGarfield

Roller Poster
I Made Another Nolimits Video with more accurate scenes,Smoother track ,New music and Backward POV

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kZCWtIOMo&feature=watch_response[/youtube]

Finally TESTING!!!!!!!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBKzXXjQrSI[/youtube]

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah he must have missed out on all that fascinating on ride photo/video discussion. Give the kid a break!

If English wasn't my first language, I wouldn't be trawling through all that **** either.

Anyway, I think it's looking really good. I really enjoyed Raptor, and this is looking slightly better at the moment. I won't be rushing down for opening day, but I probably will make the effort at some point in the year.

dominoes

Mega Poster
I knew the ride would be a short one, but bloody hell, that is short. Thinking that even on Saw, I was left thinking "Is that it?" I have no idea what I will think on this...

nadroJ

CF Legend
I thought, from watching the video, that it actually goes on for longer than it appears to! Whatever, Raptor was fairly short, and that was still enjoyable.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
dominoes said:
I knew the ride would be a short one, but bloody hell, that is short. Thinking that even on Saw, I was left thinking "Is that it?" I have no idea what I will think on this...

Well, at least you'll actually find what the Swarm actually does remotely thrilling...

Anyway, why does nobody moan about Kingda Ka, TTD, Stealth or Zaturn being short???

dominoes

Mega Poster
^I know what you mean. I do find them short too, but I generally find it shortness is more prominent when about 1/3 of the ride is chain lift and breaks. Don't get me wrong, I think this is still a wonderfull ride, but it is just a bit short for my taste.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
Anyway, why does nobody moan about Kingda Ka, TTD, Stealth or Zaturn being short???

They did. When it was relevant at the time, which it no longer is. Each of those rides were built 6+ years ago.

I do fail to understand why people are suddenly surprised saying it looks short now they've seen testing though. Did you people not see the layout beforehand? Its not suddenly going to get any longer just because its testing. The only way for it to be longer, is if the ride was slower.. which would then give you something else to be 'surprised' at.

Mark

Strata Poster
As I've said previously. This is all about the experience. If there are lots of head/leg choppers the overall excitement will outweigh the length of the ride.

Oblivion is a prime example. It is ridiculously short, but it is also extremely popular and extremely enjoyable. Do you need it to do more. Not at all. Ironically, when I rode Sheik'Ra I came off and commented that although it was great having a layout with some nice inversions etc it didn't add anything to the overall experience because it was still all about that drop.

Providing the overall ride experience is really good, it really doesn't matter if it is on the short side. As nadroJ pointed out; Raptor wasn't exactly long but it was a thoroughly enjoyable and exciting ride. I loved it and thought it was a great sign of things to come.

nadroJ

CF Legend
The thing I loved about Raptor, especially on the outer seats, was the sensation of literally flying. You weren't aware of the track to the side of you, as you are with floorless or suspended coasters, and it was quite a surreal experience when the stairs on the lift-hill disappear from beneath you. Thinking about it this way, a multi-looping coaster with these trains would definitely be an experience, but I think this coaster need to be more about swooping drops and gliding turns than as many inversions as you can muster. For sure.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^You even get a bit of airtime in the back seats...

^^^What a great sum - up!

I guess Swarm is partly about the drop too, with all the THORPE PARK INVERSION and all that...

Regardless about the length, I still think this will be a great ride, especially with the wingrider aspect to it.
Have any wingriders (baco and Raptor) been bad???

Status
Not open for further replies.