What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Yeah, I also studied the photos last night, and also noticed that. And yes, I also believe that it would be higher up if possible.

Not trying to be a dick, just want people to stop saying it's there to stop a valleying train

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Do people not trust B&M to do their job properly? I mean really?

marc

CF Legend

Joy yet another post that vanished into thin air.

I cannot be bothered typing everything again, I agree with Hixee.

People just need to deal with the fact its a trim and not a brake to hold the train if it rolls back which it won't.

It might be like the one on Montu that only comes on later in the day once the coaster warms up.

Smithy

Strata Poster

To be fair, you're going to be too busy looking at the giant wing going over your head to even notice what will at most be a minimal trim.

marc

CF Legend
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

^Yep agree with you there. And that's another reason why it's not a holding brake as that would be the last place you want to stop it.

Leighton

Mega Poster

I make one bloody comment and it sparks 3 pages of debate!

I should post more often :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

_koppen said:
Joey said:
Besides, how many times have you seen a B&M valley?
I know of it happening once. That incident with Raptor. Irrelevant though. You're wrong. The logic that "I've never seen a B&M valley so they wouldn't prepare for it" makes no sense even if they were magically immune.

Oh that's not my logic. My logic is that B&M would never build a rollercoaster that suffer such a big risk of valleying that they need to put in a brake to stop the train when it happens.
At least not for the first element of the ride.
When it comes to B&M, they put measures in place to minimise the risk of already incredibly unlikely events. If anything, their perfectionist nature is what makes me believe the theory.

Though, I find the theory that the unusual first drop is going to cause many different factors to effect the train's speed thus the need for an unusually placed trim, also believable.

Nic

Strata Poster

Drawin said:
388512_145050248931718_115673268536083_124583_272136600_n.jpg

Holy crap! That is so awesome it's ridiculous! At this rate, they're in danger of actually making it as awesome as the plans. Who knew?! ;)

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

So... is the full plane being built or just the wing? Well, not quite the full plane, but the plans do seem to show a little more of the plane than that.

Ben

CF Legend

^You can see more of the plane than the wing in that photo, so, probably.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Tha part with the wing is pretty much complete structurally, and then there'll be that back-end part below the zero-g. That's it.

Basically as Ben said, the whole part of the plane theming is in that picture.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Ethan said:
I agree with Hixee. I think it is to stop the train, because B&M are perfectionists so why would they trim the ride straight away? They haven't tested the ride yet. Besides, trimming is Intamin's thang...

As a previously qualified operator of a B&M with a low-point trim, I feel qualified to state unequivocally that they are NOT used to stop a valleying train, but in fact are there to trim excess speed.

If a train does not clear a block before the following train is about to enter the same block, the block brakes will engage and the lift will stop. The trims will not engage unless the train (or previous train) has been determined to be overspeeding.

The operating manual is pretty comprehensive on these things.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The trims will not engage unless the train (or previous train) has been determined to be overspeeding.
So, one train goes through the circuite and overspeed's and nothing bad happens. Why trim the next one? Why are B&M so funny about any fluctuation in speed? Is it more to reduce wear than rider experience?

Thanks for clearing it up though!

bob_3_

Giga Poster

It may just be to maintain consistancy, just like when you see a show, youd rather know the show you watched was of the same quality and every previous one. Or you order a burger, and one time it was great, another time it wasn't so good. I know its not an ethusiasts point of view as (obviously faster - better)) we like to figure out whens the best to ride.

However from a parls point of view youd want every ride to be consistant with guests. Thats my theory anyway.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Once the track started going up, I ignored construction. I'm glad I've stopped by for an update as that plane looks amazing! I hate to use the word "epic", but it perfectly sums this up. I've not seen anything a epic as this since...since... Oblivion.

Thorpe Park is going to be a very happy place next year.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

The plane adds a lot to this, and now that I am trying to plan a Eurotrip instead of a Germany trip, I would probably have to try and hit Thorpe because this looks amazing.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

^Agreed a trip back to Thorpe is needed. Never ridden a wingrider and I want to make this one my first. The theming is top notch.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

I notice this year's going to be quite impressive with not only THE SWARM, but WLB at Alton, Madagascan area in Chessington and new hotel in LEGOLAND Windsor. :D Maybe you should consider paying the other parks visits as well. Although of course, none of these will be anywhere near as incredible as THE SWARM. :D

nadroJ

CF Legend

Pretty sure I'm not going to go to Legoland to gawp at a hotel....

Status
Not open for further replies.