What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It looks like the drop actually goes straight down for a fair period of time before it twists. That could provide a very unique sensation of getting ejector airtime and then twisting at the same time!

I expected it to start twisting further up, for some reason… this could offer more airtime potential, though, so I’m certainly not complaining!

Remember when you thought this thing wouldn't have much airtime Matt?

Dec 2021...

Also that drop is going to be insane in the back… You’re going to be thrown out of the seat as you crest, then just at the moment of highest negative g, twisted round… Could be one of the best twisted airtime moments ever!!!

Nothing so far has changed my mind... Fingers crossed it rides like it's ALWAYS looked. 🤞

Matt N

CF Legend
Remember when you thought this thing wouldn't have much airtime Matt?

Dec 2021...

Nothing so far has changed my mind... Fingers crossed it rides like it's ALWAYS looked. 🤞
I do, but I have to say that I increasingly think my initial judgement was wrong. I’ve grown increasingly convinced by it the more we’ve seen of it. I’m trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, but as the elements go up, I’m increasingly convinced that it could be absolutely phenomenal! Some of those moments that I originally wasn’t sure on do look like they could be very impactful with high quantities of negative g’s.

I still maintain that it doesn’t have many straight airtime hills, but I’m increasingly not sure that it actually needs them. The ride looks like it could be great, and very negative g-filled, without them! The profiling of some of the elements has surprised me; the Immelmann looks like it could provide far more of a sustained ejector airtime moment than I was anticipating, the first drop looks like it could provide more airtime than I was expecting, and seeing it up (and having ridden Iron Gwazi with a similar element), I increasingly think that the overbank into an inversion could be quite something!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The park have released this years park map.
View attachment 30076
Source
If this map is accurate, it really hammers home how needlessly isolated from the rest of the park Swarm is. The distance between paths on the Stealth and Swarm side of the lake is barely longer than the footprint of Flying Fish, and probably shorter than the queue lines of either ride. Would it really be that difficult to build a bridge?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If this map is accurate, it really hammers home how needlessly isolated from the rest of the park Swarm is. The distance between paths on the Stealth and Swarm side of the lake is barely longer than the footprint of Flying Fish, and probably shorter than the queue lines of either ride. Would it really be that difficult to build a bridge?
Do you think it could be part of a longer term plan to connect the second island to the sunken gardens when they eventually build on it? Or at least was the plan when Swarm was built?

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Yeah, wasn't that island earmarked for the 2015/6 addition before DBGT happened? Would make sense for them to design Swarm like that if the intention was to only keep it that way for a few years, but it's now got to the point that two of the park's main attractions have been completely isolated from each other for well over a decade despite being practically next to each other.

catsounds

Mega Poster
Yeah i think they had planned to make use of the other island sooner

image.png

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah i think they had planned to make use of the other island sooner

image.png
Clearly see a bridge there almost exactly where I expected it to be too...

I guess, ultimately, they will still build there at some point, it was surveyed again a few years ago (probably a potential site for an alternative Hyperia bid) so it doesn't make sense to build a bridge from Swarm island, when the circular route will be connected up sooner or later.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

As mentioned, not difficult, but until they use the adjacent island for something, logistically impractical.
1709480658044.png
Yellow - Logical area for where a bridge entrance by Stealth could go
Red - Area designed for a connecting bridge from Swarm island

Any connection between the two areas would have to use the adjacent island, there's no way they could link it to Swarm's island elsewhere (unless they physically built a pathway over the ride, which just wouldn't happen).

It's simply just impractical to create a pathway on that island to connect to two areas up, plus do associated CCTV stuff. Too much cost for too little reward. Better to absorb that into a larger project when they open up that island with attraction(s).

Again, as discussed, there was early plans that that island would house a roller coaster to be built in 2015/6. Those plans changed instead for a dark ride, since it was decided the park needed a dark ride over a coaster. The area was again considered for a coaster in 2020, before that whole project was cancelled thanks to Merlin reducing spending in the theme park division. I don't know how seriously a coaster was considered there for 2024, but I'm sure there would have been conversations.
When it will happen is too hard to know. Certainly it makes sense that the next major investment would open up there, but it depends on when that is and what happens with other rides in the central area of the park.

As for Hyperia, here's a couple more photos of the lift hill crest from yours truly:

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Following on from @JoshC.’s update, by the time I got down to the construction site today, this piece has been assembled!

The sheer size of Hyperia’s first drop from standing right next door down Monks Walk is so very impressive, made the mistake on footwear but it was a worthwhile sacrifice with the nice weather.

Also more lessons learned today don’t try to recover nearly falling over with a holly bush.

It's nearly finished!

All that's remaining now is the crest of the lift hill that was recently assembled at ground level.

Source: ThemeParkWorldwide

Howie

Donkey in a hat
That drop is giving me a semi.

What I didn't realise until now is that it seems to go beyond vertical before twisting round the other way. I kind of expected it to start twisting immediately after cresting the lift hill. Airtime in the back gonna be ludicrous.