What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

emoo

Hyper Poster
The gold does look a bit naff in many pictures. Ignoring any suspected cost cutting measures the hap hazard paint job could work really well. Maybe 🤷‍♂️ I'd opt for a world where every tall ride had a different colour scheme fading to white but thats fan fiction getting ahead of itself.

Even if the paint job is the #1 thought during a long queue there's no way it will be be the focus on first rides. I expect to be wowed bythe skyline and the new Thorpe Park scale.

GeminiOP03

Roller Poster
...based off how much this ride is going to do in such a short amount of time, and with how aggressive it's going to be for the duration, I'm okay with the length of the circuit on Hyperia.
Maxx Force and Hyperia are completely different track profiles. Maxx Force has no trims and the profiling accommodates the speed. Hyperia's elements are elongated, the transitions are taken a much lower speed or trimmed.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
I'm sorry I probably missed something but I don't understand the 2-color scheme!?! What is the reason behind it? I rememeber the Blue Streak at CLP having 2 colors (fresh paint for the botton part about 10 feet high) because volunteers were painting it and were not allowed painting higher because of insurance issues.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm sorry I probably missed something but I don't understand the 2-color scheme!?! What is the reason behind it? I rememeber the Blue Streak at CLP having 2 colors (fresh paint for the botton part about 10 feet high) because volunteers were painting it and were not allowed painting higher because of insurance issues.
Most tall coasters built in the UK from here on out will probably adopt either the 2 colour scheme, or a neutral scheme, which does not stand out too much against the sky when viewed from surrounding areas. This is to help them get past planning objections such as "But it will be an eyesore."

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Most tall coasters built in the UK from here on out will probably adopt either the 2 colour scheme, or a neutral scheme, which does not stand out too much against the sky when viewed from surrounding areas. This is to help them get past planning objections such as "But it will be an eyesore."
You'd think considering the average weather in the UK they'd opt for slate grey rather than white. :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You'd think considering the average weather in the UK they'd opt for slate grey rather than white. :)
I did look at the photo posted by coasterfeck a few posts above mine and wonder why they didn't go for blue... Then I remembered 🙈 🤣

Give it a few years and it'll be a dull grey with splashes of brown rust.... That should bring in the gold a bit better. ;)

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Maxx Force and Hyperia are completely different track profiles. Maxx Force has no trims and the profiling accommodates the speed. Hyperia's elements are elongated, the transitions are taken a much lower speed or trimmed.
There is only one confirmed trim at this moment, and that is the simulated splashdown. As is standard practice with a lot of Mack's coasters, brackets have been installed for trims before the outward banked turn/twist in case the train over-speeds, should that happen, only then will a trim will be installed.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
This is to help them get past planning objections such as "But it will be an eyesore."
I just don't understand this because the white doesn't look that pleasing to begin with. It's not like they were trying to paint it bright yellow or pink or something like that. If they really wanted a subtle color scheme they could've just gone with another grey or black, or even some sort of dark green.

Part of it's also the white track on white supports. Just doesn't go well.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I just don't understand this because the white doesn't look that pleasing to begin with. It's not like they were trying to paint it bright yellow or pink or something like that. If they really wanted a subtle color scheme they could've just gone with another grey or black, or even some sort of dark green.

Part of it's also the white track on white supports. Just doesn't go well.
Hang on... I'll try and show you why they do it...

So, this is Hyperia, against a pretty normal UK sky, from a distance (although not as far as I'd liked, it'll look even less obvious from further away.)

Screenshot 2024-02-06 014325.jpg

You can see how little it stands out compared to even the crane and high reach.

But for reference this is the PMBO against a similar sky (although slightly more blue, which you'd think would help the PMBO blend in, but it clearly doesn't.)

1704789222498.jpg

Stands out much more, despite being further back... Another thing to note is the white lattice section of the supports on the turnaround here... More or less invisible right? the only parts of white that really stand out are when they're passing over other dark pieces of metalwork. If all of those blue lattice supports and the track were both white, the coaster would be barely visible from a distance. Apparently that's a desirable attribute for those locals who aren't enthusiasts.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
^ yep, the colour is a perfect blend to the grey British sky. There's a gap in the trees straight after the M3 exit on the M25, where you can get a brief glimpse of Thorpe from a distance. The sky is particularly miserable today and I could barely see it.

Think they're doing the bottom of the lift hill at the moment going by the positioning of the crane. Didn't look like enough action to justify a stop off for photos.