What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
Let me join in on the trim conversation!

Personally I’m not going to let a trim that is not even in use yet affect my opinion on the ride, I don’t think any of us know how it’s going to ride, it’s purely speculation at this moment. There could be numerous reasons as to why a trim has been installed after the Immelmann but I’m sure Mack have every idea as to why they have chosen to do so.

Side note, I did get my friend to watch the Hyperia teaser, his words being “this ride looks tall and long”. Again as an enthusiast we’re gunna be nit picky but ultimately we’re not the manufacturer or park so until I have ridden, my opinion will be pretty neutral… I have no doubt this ride will be a beast once she’s open though!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My personal take is that the trims are there purely for rider comfort and optimising the experience of the outer-bank roll. Mack, nor any other company have ever really produced an element like this before, so no-one will truly know how it will feel. I have full confidence it has been designed well within safe g-force limits without trims, but I'm guessing the brackets are there as an option if they feel the element needs toning down slightly. These brackets have nothing to do with cutting the layout in my opinion - if the layout was reduced in any way, it would've been after the splashdown I'd imagine, explaining the vast number of trims there.
Oh me too Crash, please don't get me wrong, this conversation has gone on so long it's easy to forget how it started...

Originally I said that having multiple trims, to make the layout work, is lazy poor design, but then quickly conceded that I doubt they do much at all, like on other Macks. 🤞

However, then somebody else piped in with their idea along the lines of maybe they were a safety precaution 'implying' that they didn't know how the coaster would ride, as the element has never been done before... It was this idea of designing an element that they're unsure is safe, and maybe needing to add trims later, that I am saying would be terrible design... It's not true, they know more or less exactly how the element will ride. So this is all hypothetical. 👍

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
However, then somebody else piped in with their idea along the lines of maybe they were a safety precaution 'implying' that they didn't know how the coaster would ride, as the element has never been done before... It was this idea of designing an element that they're unsure is safe, and maybe needing to add trims later, that I am saying would be terrible design... It's not true, they know more or less exactly how the element will ride. So this is all hypothetical. 👍
Agree with this, but to add...

The 'uncertainty' related to the installation of trims isn't necessarily uncertainty around how the coaster will perform, but also uncertainty around all the other 'external' factors that could affect the running speed on any given day/hour.

This is broadly B&M's argument for installing trims - it helps keep the ride doing specifically what they want it to do. Having too much speed is far easier to deal with (a simple trim) than too little speed (a valley), so it makes sense for them to be confident the train will always clear the hill and trim it back when the conditions are such that the train has too much speed, rather than risk it stalling.

Best not to conflate occam's razor with laziness - you will soon find the built environment around you full of 'lazy' design.

It's the ****ing great final brake sets on this that are lazy design (as an overall 'Merlin produced' package) - not the trims. ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Agree with this, but to add...

The 'uncertainty' related to the installation of trims isn't necessarily uncertainty around how the coaster will perform, but also uncertainty around all the other 'external' factors that could affect the running speed on any given day/hour.

This is broadly B&M's argument for installing trims - it helps keep the ride doing specifically what they want it to do. Having too much speed is far easier to deal with (a simple trim) than too little speed (a valley), so it makes sense for them to be confident the train will always clear the hill and trim it back when the conditions are such that the train has too much speed, rather than risk it stalling.

Best not to conflate occam's razor with laziness - you will soon find the built environment around you full of 'lazy' design.

It's the ****ing great final brake sets on this that are lazy design (as an overall 'Merlin produced' package) - not the trims. ;)
Yeh, that's fine... We touched on that earlier... And I agree... In fact I think It's most likely why they've added mounting points and no trims at this point.

Still... Potentially 3 bloody sets of brakes on a 35 second layout!!! 😭

P.s I already do... And it drives me mad sometimes... ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
Are you counting the final brake run in this?

Unless I’m missing something, the ride only has 1 confirmed trimming point (the splashdown) and an additional potential trimming point (the exit of the Immelmann), which would make 2 sets of brakes in a worst case scenario. I could be missing something there, though, and I apologise if I am.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Are you counting the final brake run in this?

Unless I’m missing something, the ride only has 1 confirmed trimming point (the splashdown) and an additional potential trimming point (the exit of the Immelmann), which would make 2 sets of brakes in a worst case scenario. I could be missing something there, though, and I apologise if I am.
Yes, obviously, I’m including the final brake run, as a nod to Hixee’s remark r.e them being lazy design. :)

It was a joke (well kind of a joke, but a joke that could be very real if they add these trims.)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Question: if this potential trim brake is to slow down the train for the outerbank thingy, can somebody with a better understanding of physics than me explain why they've been placed on the drop coming out of the immelman, and not on the incline going up into the outerbank?
If you're worried about excessive speed going through a particular element, surely you'd position the trim just before that element, not in the middle of a massive drop on the previous element, ruining it in the process? That's like Th13teen levels of sacrilege that is and I can't lie, I'm totally bummed out by it.
Stupid Hyperia. 🖕

catsounds

Mega Poster
that's a bit of an over exaggeration, its literally the smallest trim, i'd bet money even if it's installed you wont even notice it

also the reason would be because the track banks on the pull up into the outerbank so they wouldn't be able to put a trim there

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
How much? 🙂
I've 'noticed' every trim brake I've ever encountered so far (unless they're switched off) ... and they suck!
that's a bit of an over exaggeration, its literally the smallest trim, i'd bet money even if it's installed you wont even notice it

also the reason would be because the track banks on the pull up into the outerbank so they wouldn't be able to put a trim there
Come on now, if the trim's active, of course you're going to 'feel it,' it's causing unnatural deceleration... Some just don't hurt the experience as much as others... 🤞

Matt N

CF Legend
It’s worth noting that there may yet not be a trim at all in that part of the ride; as far as I know, there are numerous similar examples of rides having trim brake brackets being built, but trim brakes never actually being installed within them.

Trim brakes being installed in that part of the ride is not a foregone conclusion by any means; Thorpe Park themselves confirmed in the annual passholder group that trims will only be installed if the ride overspeeds during testing.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It’s worth noting that there may yet not be a trim at all in that part of the ride; as far as I know, there are numerous similar examples of rides having trim brake brackets being built, but trim brakes never actually being installed within them.

Trim brakes being installed in that part of the ride is not a foregone conclusion by any means; Thorpe Park themselves confirmed in the annual passholder group that trims will only be installed if the ride overspeeds during testing.
Yes, obviously, I’m including the final brake run, as a nod to Hixee’s remark r.e them being lazy design. :)

It was a joke (well kind of a joke, but a joke that could be very real if they add these trims.)
Yeh, that's fine... We touched on that earlier... And I agree... In fact I think It's most likely why they've added mounting points and no trims at this point.

P.s I already do... And it drives me mad sometimes... ;)
Yes Matt, don't worry, I think most are aware, as you see above I certainly am. :)

spicy

Giga Poster
It is looking amazing!!

The more Hyperia grows the more pathetic Saw is looking.

Which ironically has the dark horror theme and Hyperia has the nicer light theme.

Can see a retheme for Saw coming in the near future not sure it works anymore with Hyperia next to it.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
It is looking amazing!!

The more Hyperia grows the more pathetic Saw is looking.

Which ironically has the dark horror theme and Hyperia has the nicer light theme.

Can see a retheme for Saw coming in the near future not sure it works anymore with Hyperia next to it.
You've got the Flying Fish pottering about on the other side of the park like the apocalypse isn't happening right next to it. I'm sure Saw will be fine 😂