What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yeah, no more work higher up. When I left at like midday yesterday, they were doing some lower level supports; they might have got a couple more done yesterday.

The paths were also submerged, definitely wellies (boots were not enough) are needed if your gonna have a look from the south side of monks walk currently. We did not have long enough to try from the other end but i got a good look from the bridge and hopefully next time im this way will be to ride it 😍
This is why I've avoided that side of Monks recently; it is significantly muddier in general, and I dread to think what it's like at the moment given the amount of rain we've had!

Frootshoot

Roller Poster
I am going to be very close to Thorpe Park this weekend and though I might have a stroll down Monks Walk to see Hyperia - can anyone advise the best place to park and get access to the path ?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I am going to be very close to Thorpe Park this weekend and though I might have a stroll down Monks Walk to see Hyperia - can anyone advise the best place to park and get access to the path ?

I would recommend go at entrance Thorpe Village side, near the church. The other side is completely flooded.

Same advice stays: wear shoes/trousers you don't mind getting wet and prepare for it to be very muddy. There's been very high water levels and road flooding around the area in the past couple of days; I don't know how badly Monks Walk (or indeed, the Hyperia site) is currently affected.

Niles

Giga Poster
Here are some pictures from Monks Walk.

The second drop is going in it but it looks like we have some trims 😬
IMG_20240111_172728.jpg
IMG_20240111_172801.jpg

More track is going up on the other side to.
IMG_20240111_172645.jpg
IMG_20240111_173806.jpg

Here is a look at the lower sections of track installed.
IMG_20240111_172658.jpg
IMG_20240111_173730.jpg
IMG_20240111_172622.jpg

And the last old building remaining has been knocked down and the new one has started to go up.
IMG_20240111_172606.jpg

Source:

Matt N

CF Legend
I wouldn’t be immediately concerned by the presence of a trim brake coming out of the Immelmann, particularly seeing as some of Mack’s other hyper coasters feature trim brakes that hardly seem to have any effect on the ride’s pacing.

An example I would raise of a ride with trims that aren’t so noticeable is DC Rivals HyperCoaster at Warner Bros Movie World, a fellow Mack hyper in Australia. As per a POV, that ride seemingly has trims at two separate points (viewable at 0:48 and 1:01 respectively), yet they hardly seem to have any impact on the ride’s pacing at all, and no one seems to complain about the ride being excessively trimmed or even mention noticeable trims:

Hyper Coaster at Land of Legends, another fellow Mack hyper in Turkey, also has trims. The ride appears to have trim brakes at three separate points (viewable at 0:50, 1:00 and 1:19, respectively), but again, they hardly seem to have any impact on the ride’s pacing. And again, no one who’s ridden Hyper Coaster seems to complain about excessive trimming or even mention noticeable trims:

Obviously we don’t know what this trim will be like. It could end up being a ridiculously fierce trim that everyone complains about.

Alternatively, however, this trim might not have any noticeable impact on the ride experience at all. I would argue that the Mack hypers I’ve shown above, being the same ride type as Hyperia, are a valid comparison; perhaps adding trims here and there is just something that Mack does on its hyper coasters? Looking at DC Rivals and Hyper Coaster, I’d argue that the mere presence of a trim coming out of the Immelmann does not immediately mean that Hyperia will be neutered and that the trim will suck all the fun out of the elements that come after. Neither of those two Mack hypers appear overly neutered by the presence of trims.

I’m not saying that this trim definitely won’t have an impact, but I think it’s a little too soon to declare that it definitely will, particularly seeing as similar mid-layout trims on Mack’s other hyper coasters don’t seem to have that effect.

Coaster Credits Cymru

Roller Poster
Thorpe have now confirmed in their latest blog post that, in addition to being the UK’s tallest and fastest rollercoaster, Hyperia will feature the tallest inversion in Europe and will have more moments of airtime than any other coaster in the country!

Doesn’t come as much of a surprise, but still exciting nonetheless!4D4FAE59-0EB4-432A-989C-6EE0665944EE.jpeg

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Thorpe have now confirmed in their latest blog post that, in addition to being the UK’s tallest and fastest rollercoaster, Hyperia will feature the tallest inversion in Europe and will have more moments of airtime than any other coaster in the country!

Doesn’t come as much of a surprise, but still exciting nonetheless!View attachment 29233
Worlds first twist... Merlin really scraping the barrel as per

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Worlds first twist... Merlin really scraping the barrel as per

Yeah they're probably still trying to work out a name for it. Not an uncommon thing to do for new rides either. I think my mates would have a better time understanding what a world's first twist is then a '270 degrees Double Inverting Corner Stall' a la Walibi Holland for Untamed.