What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I actually don't mind the name. I prefer it to Icarus and Intimidator.

Merlin creatives definitely overthink everything though. Exodus was obviously their first instinct and it was a name everyone liked. Should've just stuck with it. 😆

Bowser

Mega Poster
Preferred both Exodus and Icarus.

Naming it from another character in Greek mythology make sense if they couldn't use Icarus, i just don't like the one they've chosen because it incorporates the word "hyper" which makes it sound like the result of a desperate brainstorming session of out of touch executives trying to make up a "cool" word.

Although seeing as it's a hyper-coaster perhaps it's cleverer than i'm giving them credit for.

Ah well, ride looks great and what does a name matter (looking at you Mandrill Mayhem).

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
I don’t mind Hyperia, I just prefer Icarus and I was expecting that to be the name.

Anyone know why when they filed for Icarus it supposedly got denied?

Think they should have just gone with the name Exodus when Icarus got denied.

Like how they went back to Stealth when ‘The Edge’ got denied because of Pizza Hut.
Apparently because of this

Guessing can't be accepted when a ride already has Icarus in it's name in the UK

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So the UK's biggest coaster in 2 decades can't have a cool name because of some crappy Zamperla flying contraption at Twinkakes? Well, that sucks. If I were Twinlakes I'd do the honourable thing and change the name of my crappy flat ride so that Thorpe could have Icarus. Come on Twinlakes, where's the team spirit, man?

Could have had a world class and interesting coaster but went with a short version of a dive machine.

To be fair, this will be taller, faster and, with the possible exception of Yukon, longer than every other dive coaster out there. Some would argue this is more interesting than a B&M diver too.

I'm totally on board with this thing. I love the fact that they've gone for a joyous, uplifting theme rather than the doom n gloom we've all become accustomed to. S'gonna be a refreshing change. If each of those elements hits, and hits hard, then I don't think the comparatively short length will matter. I'm predicting a big hit for Thorpe Park.

Last edited:

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
The sight of this thing from the M3 (and even M25) is going to be the best advertisement Thorpe could have asked for. It's going to look bloody huge on that Skyline. Think what Shammy and Red Force do for Port Aventura. I'd love to know how many families visit Salou because it's a family friendly and cheap destination, then see THAT on the skyline.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It lists the top speed as 80mph, but isn’t Stealth also 80mph? So it’s not really the fastest UK coaster as there’s one the exact same speed in the same park.

coasterboy

Mega Poster

Bowser

Mega Poster
So the UK's biggest coaster in 2 decades can't have a cool name because of some crappy Zamperla flying contraption at Twinkakes? Well, that sucks. If I were Twinlakes I'd do the honourable thing and change the name of my crappy flat ride so that Thorpe could have Icarus. Come on Twinlakes, where's the team spirit, man?

Especially as they have a log flume called "Dragon Falls" :eek:

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
That name is awful lol, smacks of "boardroom brainstorm" sesh by a coven of corporate Karens. So what's new?

Whatever though, honestly, it's just exciting (and a little surreal after so long) that Thorpe is actually getting a new coaster. Screw the name, screw the theme, screw the short length, get me on the bloody thing already!

I really want this coaster to do well for them, and hopefully kick off an investment renaissance for the park.