What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Isn’t it Mack that do most of the pre commissioning testing anyway?

Mack will decide how many test runs are required, within the guidelines of local policy / legislation of course. Mack will say when the ride is ready to run flat out. If anybody thinks the ride wasn’t tested enough, they should maybe aim that criticism in the right direction. Thorpe Park will have very little say in the matter.

ZeroG

Roller Poster
I guess it's hard to test all the different weather conditions, direction/strength of the wind etc.

The weather on Saturday morning was not exceptional.

This is not a weather conditions problem.

Moreover guests should not be so unpredictable that they break a £18M ride on its first day.

I do get that it happens. But if I bought something for millions of pounds and then it broke within a day, I'd be at least temporarily majorly regretting the manufacturer I chose.

Edit: re: Nicky
Yes I'd be very interested to see or hear the comms between Thorpe and Mack rn.

Reactions: T0M

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
Thorpe did throw out an opening date before the ride was even completed iirc? Maybe they put too much pressure on Mack/their own teams to get it done, even if they needed to rush things or cut corners? An approach like that should be prohibited by the UK's version of TÜV though, right? It's a weird situation.

Reactions: T0M

James F

Hyper Poster
If the issue has anything to do with the lift hill then who supplies the chain?

Might be a daft question, but do ride manufacturers outsource things like chains? I know programming is commonly provided by a third party.

Playing armchair detective, is it possible that the issue could stem from a third party?

Perhaps a third party was hired by Thorpe to install the chain drive and maybe they were less experienced or put under pressure?

Again all speculative and I may be way off, but is it possible that there is more to it than Mack/Thorpe?

Swat

Hyper Poster
Just pure speculation from me (A non technical expert but have watched a few youtube videos in my time).

There was a noticable change in the lift noise from the morning to afternoon on the Friday, I do wonder if they have burnt out the motor by running the lift quicker than originally planned or quicker than they have done so on other rides. We all saw how 'slow' it looked initially round the outerbank and stall so to counter that, the speed may have been increased.

Just hope this is not slowed as being launched onto the M25 from the backseat was one of the highlights.

spicy

Giga Poster
UK parks source their chains most of the time from somewhere in Wales I believe. Also worth noting what Thorpe have been telling people in their pass holder only Facebook group.

Shame they won't be sharing what's actually wrong but that's a relief she will be exactly the same as on opening day and no changes will be made.

Was not looking forward to all the people that have already ridden Hyperia saying how much better OG Hyperia was.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thorpe did throw out an opening date before the ride was even completed iirc? Maybe they put too much pressure on Mack/their own teams to get it done, even if they needed to rush things or cut corners? An approach like that should be prohibited by the UK's version of TÜV though, right? It's a weird situation.
Thorpe would have put out that opening date based on when Mack said the ride would be commissioned, not the other way around.

My guess is that this is just a simple case of premature and unforeseen failure of a part. It happens, it doesn’t mean it’s anybody’s fault per se, (well maybe QC at manufacturing, or the installer may have installed it wrong, leading to premature wear.)

spicy

Giga Poster
Ryan The Ride Mechanic thinks it's the sprockets, makes absolute sense too when you watch his video.

Brilliant channel btw, really very informative. And delivered in the most silly, goony, way you could imagine... I love his daft intros.

Good video does sound very likely that could be the problem.. So at 8:50 he is suggesting the very top of the lift hill could be taken back down to replace the sprockets?!

Scenes when The Big One gets its record back, Jack Silkstones construction videos can return and we get another Hyperia topping off ceremony!

I have heard reports from a reputable source that Hyperia tested just once around 4 o clock this morning. So I don't think we'll be seeing that.

Plus, I doubt Thorpe wants to take any track off. That would really get the news outlets going.

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
Good video does sound very likely that could be the problem.. So at 8:50 he is suggesting the very top of the lift hill could be taken back down to replace the sprockets?!

Scenes when The Big One gets its record back, Jack Silkstones construction videos can return and we get another Hyperia topping off ceremony!
He does suggest it as an option, but he also said that if it was going to happen, it likely would be happening already and we haven't seen signs of that.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
There was a noticable change in the lift noise from the morning to afternoon on the Friday,
Thought it was just me. I popped back to my car around 6pm that evening. Heard a racket and thought it was a plane flying overhead. Turned around to realise it was Hyperia climbing the lift. It was noisy to a point where I thought 'the locals won't like this'. I'm sure it wasn't like that in the morning.

ZeroG

Roller Poster
I don't mind that the video contains no new information, it's the fact that it celebrates the opening day for more than 50% of the video that is mildly annoying.

But yeah it's what I'd expect. I don't think there's really any way you can positively spin this situation.

One of the YT comments suggests they've heard it was a chain guide which came loose and requires re-manufacturining. But also investigation because it's an unusual occurrence.

Makes sense. Maybe the guide was loose and rubbing on the chain causing extra noise late in the day on Friday.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I don't mind that the video contains no new information, it's the fact that it celebrates the opening day for more than 50% of the video that is mildly annoying.

But yeah it's what I'd expect. I don't think there's really any way you can positively spin this situation.

One of the YT comments suggests they've heard it was a chain guide which came loose and requires re-manufacturining. But also investigation because it's an unusual occurrence.

Makes sense. Maybe the guide was loose and rubbing on the chain causing extra noise late in the day on Friday.
That would make sense. At this point we’re fairly sure it’s something to do with the lift mechanism, so it has to be the sprockets, chain, motor or chain guard surely?

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
Interesting... their rebrand states "We’ll say it how it is, no sugar coating, no corporate jargon – just the naked truth. Information is upfront and freely available"

Clearly just buzz words that may bite them.
It depends on what information you think is appropriate for them to share. As enthusiasts we're obviously interested in the technical reasons behind the issue, but us knowing those reasons is inconsequential. For park guests all they need to know is an estimate of when the ride will be available and what they can do about changing their plans. On that score I think they're fulfilling their goal.