What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster
I feel like if this is genuine that pretty much confirms that the trims will also be added to mounts on the exit of Non-Inverting Immelmann, due to the speed it has been taking that element and stall when it is warmed up, and the tires will be there to push it when it’s running slower through it, and to avoid it stalling there.

the_coaster_l

Roller Poster
I feel like if this is genuine that pretty much confirms that the trims will also be added to mounts on the exit of Non-Inverting Immelmann, due to the speed it has been taking that element and stall when it is warmed up, and the tires will be there to push it when it’s running slower through it, and to avoid it stalling there.
I hope not. It was already running slow enough as is.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Hope this doesn't mean they're gonna slow down the lift hill speed.

Edit - clearly fake isn't it. You cant just lob up drive tyres like that in a few hours with no one noticing

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure. If it's already crawling through the element during morning tests, to the extent that they need to add drive tires, I can't see them wanting to slow it down out of the jr immelmann any more. I might be wrong, but I really hope I'm not because the drop out of the jr immelmann is fantastic.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I doubt the authenticity of this, if this was indeed the problem that caused the closure then there would've been no way in hell for Thorpe to be able to open Hyperia again on the 29th. So why would they have communicated that in the first place?

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m now starting to doubt whether booking 10th June was a good idea… if it is shut until 8th June, it’ll either be still closed and I’ll have to gaze at it without being able to ride, or it’ll be open but only the 3rd or 4th day of public operations, so it’ll probably be rammed… I think I might try and return later in the year either way. I am glad I went for 2 and a bit weeks after opening rather than straight after, though!

I do wonder whether it will necessarily be shut until 8th June, though… I don’t know if I’m just overanalysing here, but I thought that the wording of the statement was interesting.

They say that they are “unable to commit” to opening it before 8th June, and that they will do “everything in [their] power to open the ride earlier”… to me, that sounds as though they know they can open it from 8th June with a reasonable degree of confidence, but may be hoping to open it earlier if possible. If they “can’t commit” to opening before 8th June, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it won’t open before 8th June, simply that they can’t guarantee that it will open before 8th June… as I say, though, I could just be massively overanalysing.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
That fake is HILARIOUS, props to whoever produced it so quickly LOL.

From what I've read and heard, it sounds like this is much more a train issue than a track issue. I would not worry about anything significant happening to the track which would effect the ride experience, including things like adding the trim fins to the frames that are in place.

I just don't understand how these issues don't come to light during the testing phase for both this and TT2, before they open the ride to the public. I would imagine they have to cycle each train at least 1,000 times, with the water dummies or weight on the train, so why aren't these issues coming up during testing? Are they not testing ENOUGH?

Surely having actual people on the ride can't make that much of a difference causing these kind of immediate long-term closures after opening.

ZeroG

Roller Poster
Disappointingly next week was going to be the last quiet week til September!

Are they not testing ENOUGH?

Surely having actual people on the ride can't make that much of a difference causing these kind of immediate long-term closures after opening.

I was thinking this during the testing phase. I was at Thorpe Park 3 times after it's first test and only saw it go round twice in that time. I thought surely they should be running it more (especially given what we were learning about TT2 at the time).

As you say, it's difficult to believe that having real riders changes things that much. If it did, coasters wouldn't be safe. The whole point of testing is to simulate reality.

So either their testing methods are ineffective or they didn't do enough testing, basically 🤔

Last edited:

Smithy

Strata Poster
You can only simulate reality so much though. There's no substitute for full-on running with guests onboard and seeing what that does to the various parts involved.

It happens, it's unfortunate, maybe they could have done more testing but tbh it's impossible to know unless you know exactly what the issue is, and what caused it.