What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

catsounds

Mega Poster
image.png

it looks obscene

Niles

Giga Poster
I am going past Thorpe and have some free time to go for a walk and have a look myself in a few weeks. Im not sure though where is best to park, i think where i have circled you can park and walk but if anyone has anywhere better please say 😊 thanks.

IMG_20231117_193033.jpg

JoshC.

Strata Poster
There's two good places to park which are closer:

Screenshot_20231117_194655_Maps.jpg

This is outside the park, prior to the exterior bus stop as you come from Chertsey. It's more a lay-by than a parking spot, so better only for a quick stop.

The second is village of Thorpe way:
Screenshot_20231117_194738_Maps.jpg
This is right by the entrance to Monks Walk. As you can see though, it's a proper little trek to the park, a solid 15-20mins at a leisurely pace.

The other, Chertsey-side, entrance to Monks Walk is here:
Screenshot_20231117_194845_Maps.jpg

In case you (or anyone thinking of doing Monks) is not aware, the pathway is muddy (especially around by Hyperia). If it has rained any time in the week prior to your visit, take a spare pair of footwear you don't mind getting muddy!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thorpe (and Monk's Walk) is outside of all FRZs and bylaw geofences. And, with no customers on park, there are no 'dense crowd' safety concerns either.

I could, in theory, take one of my sub 250g drones along Monk's Walk quite legitimately and legally, and film the progress.

Only problem is my conscience, I know I can, as in I'm legally allowed, I have my operator I.D and Flyer I.D, a Class A1 drone of 249g that can legally be flown over or close to people and buildings, and there are no airspace restrictions at Thorpe.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 195438.png

But I just know Thorpe wouldn't particularly 'like' it. And I think they've been brilliant with the access they've granted people in the community to cover the progress, which, at least in Jack's case, looks set to continue through winter.

So I think I'm going to leave well alone. So bloody tempting though, especially when I see other people planning trips down to Monk's Walk.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
^ Is that not what this guy has been doing?

I say go for it if it’s perfectly legal?
Yep, guess it is... Except right there he/she/they appear to be passing through the Gravel Pit SSSI, as well as the H3 London Heli-Route. Not prohibited at all, but not something I'd do.

However, yes, assuming they're using a sub 250g drone, the newer drone laws expressly permit this, and there's not a thing Thorpe can do about it. Ironically, theme parks are actually named in the drone code as an example of permitted places to fly your drone over... For some weird reason. (This would NOT apply when the park is open, other rules cover large densely packed crowds.)

Screenshot 2023-11-17 231720.png

Matt N

CF Legend
I don't know whether the perspective is a little off, but for some reason, I expected the brake run to be longer...

Thrillseeker2024

Roller Poster
ZOMG, itisaRMC!

Ahem :p As nice as it would be if the park did something to make themselves worth visiting for the first time in a decade, I'm really not optimistic.

I always take rumours with a pinch of salt, but when it comes to Thorpe, the amount of salt is substantially increased! I'll actually let them off using money as an excuse for lack of investment following the last 18 months and the UK budget is clearly going in Chessington's direction (which I have no issue with - visiting this year after a 7 year absence, I was impressed by how much better Chessie was looking)
Well I'm sorry to say, it's a mack hyper

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Looks like it will have three block zones.
Correct. The brake run will only be able to hold one train which absolutely guarantees a maximum of two train operations.

I am a little concerned about the coaster's throughput as I have no doubt it'll be the most popular ride in the park and from the throughput calculations I've done, it'll probably be around the 800-900pph mark if we assume a cycle time and dispatch interval of around 80-90 seconds. Worst case scenario is a dispatch interval of two minutes, which equates to 30 trains an hour which is 600pph. So yeah, slightly concerning numbers but the lack of seatbelts should mean faster dispatches at least, and I'm hoping the lift hill will be fast. Ideally shouldn't take any more than 20-25 seconds to reach the top (DCR takes about 25 seconds, but I believe Hyperia's lift will run faster from what I saw in the animation). There should be minimal stacking as the crew will have plenty of time to ready the trains for dispatch.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Correct. The brake run will only be able to hold one train which absolutely guarantees a maximum of two train operations.

I am a little concerned about the coaster's throughput as I have no doubt it'll be the most popular ride in the park and from the throughput calculations I've done, it'll probably be around the 800-900pph mark if we assume a cycle time of around 80-90 seconds. Worst case scenario is a cycle time of two minutes, which equates to 30 trains an hour which is 600pph. So yeah, slightly concerning numbers but the lack of seatbelts should mean faster dispatches at least, and I'm hoping the lift hill will be fast. Ideally shouldn't take any more than 20-25 seconds to reach the top (DCR takes about 25 seconds, but I believe Hyperia's lift will run faster from what I saw in the animation). There should be minimal stacking as the crew will have plenty of time to ready the trains for dispatch.
With 2 trains, a cycle time of 2 minutes would mean 1200 riders an hour would it not?

1 train would be 600… As in 30 x 20…

Matt N

CF Legend
With 2 trains, a cycle time of 2 minutes would mean 1200 riders an hour would it not?

Correct me if I’m wrong here, I think @CrashCoaster is assuming a scenario where the train behind gets dispatched roughly as the train in front finishes the cycle, therefore meaning a dispatch interval roughly equal to the cycle time.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend

@Matt N What you said is essentially what I mean, but that's only because Hyperia runs two trains. It's my bad I used to cycle time and dispatch interval interchangeably. That being said a cycle time of two minutes on a two train operation would be fairly close to it's dispatch interval at maximum capacity, so my calculation is correct.

Last edited: