What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I keep saying this, but the key to getting excited about this project is to not think of it as a short and slightly weird hyper coaster, but as Mack's exciting new take on a B&M dive coaster (the McDive, anyone?). Think about it, vertical (ish) drop, 3 or 4 massive floaty inversions and a splashdown finale, except this one will have a better layout, more airtime, no OTSR's and no pace-killing MCBR. Not to mention longer, taller and faster than the likes of Griffon, Valravn etc...
Once I'd made that mental transition from short, weird hyper to cool new diver, the whole thing just seemed to make a lot more sense and I instantly got more excited for it.
Worked for me, anyway.

As for the name, I like it, but it's a shame Thorpe missed an opportunity to give a massive middle finger to Blackpool Pleasure Beach by calling it The BIG Mack, dissing both Icon and The Big One in one savage blow.

Mmm, Big Mac...

Edit: 20 minutes later...
View attachment 27404

The power of suggestion, folks. 🙄

I came to terms with it's length when I realised that it lasts as long as Zadra without the very final inversion... And lasts longer than Hyperion without the spaghetti bowl. Yep, fine by me...

It'll all be alright on the night.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Zadra never slows down, and if you have a closer look at the shaping of its hills, Hyperion is also quite fast even on their crests.
Hyperia has 2 drawn out inversions + the outwarded banked inversion thingy which each extend the ride time by a decent amount.
I feel like Mack has tried their best to artificially extend the duration as much as possible, but this does not distract from the fact that the ride really just has 5 elements (drop, both turnarounds, the outward-inversion thingy and the wave-turn). For comparison, Zadra has 9 and Hyperion has 11 (not counting curves connecting the respective elements).

catsounds

Mega Poster
Is it really any shorter than any of the coasters in the park when it comes down to it? I mean.. Stealth, Oblivion & Nemesis are some of the best in the country and they're all shorter ride times than this.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
That’s the whole point of a lot of people’s grievances with this ride though. This was probably the UK’s only chance at a big substantial coaster. After 2 decades the UK is getting it’s second hypercoaster, rides that are known for substantial layouts, many airtime hills etc. But we basically get a Dive coaster layout.

We had the potential for something like DC rivals or Flash, and I think it’s that potential that’s frustrating.

FogZog

Mega Poster
That’s the whole point of a lot of people’s grievances with this ride though. This was probably the UK’s only chance at a big substantial coaster. After 2 decades the UK is getting it’s second hypercoaster, rides that are known for substantial layouts, many airtime hills etc. But we basically get a Dive coaster layout.

We had the potential for something like DC rivals or Flash, and I think it’s that potential that’s frustrating.

I keep trying really hard to be excited for it but it’s just so short. Looking forward to getting back on Nemmy more than anything in 2024 🫶🏻

JoshC.

Strata Poster
At this rate seems like the whole thing will be up for people to see over Halloween weekend?

Nah, no chance.

Construction will significantly slow down for the higher up sections of the ride. And due to the layout of the construction site, they have to finish everything at the back of the site first, then work forwards.

I believe the initial documentation said it would take a good couple of months at least to complete trackwork. With some luck, all track will be completed before Christmas.

spicy

Giga Poster

Was it the only chance though?

Can we actually rule out Thorpe ever getting a traditional B&M hyper?

As that is such a different coaster experience to Hyperia there’s no reason why they still wouldn’t go for one some day.

the_coaster_l

Roller Poster
These Uk enthusiasts are so annoying. If this ride was built in any other country people would go crazy for it. It might be short but has some of the craziest elements ever conceived on it, far better than anything else in the UK. It seems like UK enthusiasts were more excited for wicker man than this. Exodus will be levels above the next best coaster in the uk, and far more interesting than this B&M hyper you all allegedly wanted. The best coaster in the UK right now is between an above average invert, a frankly boring multi launch and a coaster with 2 elements, and you are still complaining. It’s just kinda stupid.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Was it the only chance though?

Can we actually rule out Thorpe ever getting a traditional B&M hyper?

As that is such a different coaster experience to Hyperia there’s no reason why they still wouldn’t go for one some day.
It took 12 years for Thorpe to invest in this coaster. I’m not gunna hold my breath for another hyper in the UK ever, let alone in the next two decades.

These Uk enthusiasts are so annoying. If this ride was built in any other country people would go crazy for it. It might be short but has some of the craziest elements ever conceived on it, far better than anything else in the UK. It seems like UK enthusiasts were more excited for wicker man than this. Exodus will be levels above the next best coaster in the uk, and far more interesting than this B&M hyper you all allegedly wanted. The best coaster in the UK right now is between an above average invert, a frankly boring multi launch and a coaster with 2 elements, and you are still complaining. It’s just kinda stupid.
You realise in one fell swoop you basically also called every other coaster in the UK bad, right? You’re so close to getting the point we’re making and falling short. Much like Hyperia 😂

the_coaster_l

Roller Poster
It took 12 years for Thorpe to invest in this coaster. I’m not gunna hold my breath for another hyper in the UK ever, let alone in the next two decades.

You realise in one fell swoop you basically also called every other coaster in the UK bad, right? You’re so close to getting the point we’re making and falling short. Much like Hyperia 😂
People saying they more excited for nemidsis than this. You just got odd taste. I’d much rather have 4 great quality elements than an bunch of filler for a couple great elements like on gotham city escape for example. Weren’t uk enthusiasts getting excited for wicker man when it has 0 worthwhile elements?

Bowser

Mega Poster
Nah, no chance.

Construction will significantly slow down for the higher up sections of the ride. And due to the layout of the construction site, they have to finish everything at the back of the site first, then work forwards.

I believe the initial documentation said it would take a good couple of months at least to complete trackwork. With some luck, all track will be completed before Christmas.

Ah well, i think i got optimistic after this weeks pictures and seeing how quickly Nemesis went up.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster

Thorpe Park is too small, and there are surrounding green belt areas. Anything the size of DC Rivals would never have been possible, the park cited 'visual pollution' as a reason for not sticking with the longer layout. The problem is, most of the UK parks are a stone's throw away from green belt or within historical areas.

Adamdylag

Roller Poster

While being disappointed because of the length makes sense, and It would be my main criticism of the ride as well, the idea I'm seeing thrown around on this forum that something like a B&M hyper over this would've been better is mind boggling. Sure the ride is short but it's also a one-of-a-kind, completely unique roller coaster unlike anything on earth, with back to back elements that seem equally unique, completely massive and entirely creative. The ride seems consistently intense and every meter of track seems to deliver on excitement and creativity.
Compare this with the cookie cutter, more vanilla than vanilla, missionary with a condom, copy and paste snooze-fest layouts that you find on B&M Hypers.
Anyone who would prefer something more conventional like a B&M due to length has no soul.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
People saying they more excited for nemidsis than this. You just got odd taste. I’d much rather have 4 great quality elements than an bunch of filler for a couple great elements like on gotham city escape for example. Weren’t uk enthusiasts getting excited for wicker man when it has 0 worthwhile elements?
I have never been excited for Wicker Man, I believe I voiced similar concerns for it back then.
While being disappointed because of the length makes sense, and It would be my main criticism of the ride as well, the idea I'm seeing thrown around on this forum that something like a B&M hyper over this would've been better is mind boggling. Sure the ride is short but it's also a one-of-a-kind, completely unique roller coaster unlike anything on earth, with back to back elements that seem equally unique, completely massive and entirely creative. The ride seems consistently intense and every meter of track seems to deliver on excitement and creativity.
Compare this with the cookie cutter, more vanilla than vanilla, missionary with a condom, copy and paste snooze-fest layouts that you find on B&M Hypers.
Anyone who would prefer something more conventional like a B&M due to length has no soul.
While I don’t mind B&M hypers, I think your hatred of them seems a bit extreme. What you’ll actually see is that I was comparing the layout with the other Mack Hypers that have built. I love the elements and layout that Mack have come up with for Hyperia, I just think it needs a bit more of it. The UK has enough short coasters.

Adamdylag

Roller Poster
I have never been excited for Wicker Man, I believe I voiced similar concerns for it back then.

While I don’t mind B&M hypers, I think your hatred of them seems a bit extreme. What you’ll actually see is that I was comparing the layout with the other Mack Hypers that have built. I love the elements and layout that Mack have come up with for Hyperia, I just think it needs a bit more of it. The UK has enough short coasters.
Yeah again I think the length is a fair criticism. But even compared to coasters like DC Rivals and Lighting, this seems to provide way more intensity per meter of track. Then again, I haven't been on either DC Rivals nor any other Mack Hypers so I suppose I can't comment lol. I stand by my B&M criticisms however, and Shambhala is in my top 5.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster

I kind of agree with your points to the most part, but I just got off Shambhala again and it's anything but boring. It's exceptional.

FogZog

Mega Poster
Odd taste < Opinion