What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

Yeah I'm seeing echoes of 13's marketing here and we all know how that turned out.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Yeah I think Lofty has got it 100%. It will be like their scare attractions, recommended 13+ is what I am putting my money on. Won't be policed, but will be there as a suggestion.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Although thinking about it, the whole "blurring lines between reality and ride" sort of thing may work wonders for them after the Smiler incident; a lot of people riding may be more excitable/panicky if part of the experience features a 'malfunction'.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Reveal was better than I imagined it to be although I haven't watched any of the videos yet. The retro lover in me likes the use of bringing in the ghost train concept- I do wonder whether it will actually feature any parallels with it's classic namesakes though.

Bet Wardley will be interested in experiencing this one (assuming he isn't involved, which I am guessing) seeing as ghost trains were one of his original 'things'.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

JoshC.

Strata Poster

There was an interview with the Ops Manager via Periscope this morning, which pretty much confirms a 13+ age recommendation, and seems to possibly allude to a May opening: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lPJqgNEzAnKb

All in all, I'm rather excited for this. I do have some concerns that this attraction might not 'work' and might feel disjointed at times, but I'm sure all that has been thought through so we're not left with that sort of feeling.

Also, for anyone interested, this is the thing that the "suspended train carriage" has been modelled on:

6223330249_3aa0ab4834_b.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend

SilverArrow said:
The retro lover in me likes the use of bringing in the ghost train concept- I do wonder whether it will actually feature any parallels with it's classic namesakes though.

I think the term "ghost train" is being used here because of the actual train, and being scary. I can't see there being any connections what so ever with a traditional ghost train. At a guess, there could be 3 or 4 of these carriage, and it all takes place inside, whilst you're sat down with the head set on.

coasterboy

Mega Poster

From the sound of it, the train carriage seems to be the big motion-based part of it - I'm expecting a sort of suspended simulator where you board from the second level and put on the VR goggles (gas masks?). From there, the whole train car could shake about, drop and pitch around (suspended by chains) while the VR headset shows you the train car being attacked by ghosts.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I.... I like the look of this thus far?

I think the name is cool. I liked the promo video. I like the look of the quality and scale of all the thematic elements we've been shown thus far. I think the concept is cool... I guess I just don't trust that it will be good. Like Ben said a page or so back, they make things sound incredible... And this really does sound incredible, only to let us down with the actual product. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to stay open minded, because if nothing more, this will be a unique thing...

What I don't like... Another horror experiential attraction, VR and the the idea of another actor led attraction. With the exception of VR, there's a history of these elements not working at Merlin parks. The use of actors is likely a way to maximize project budget, but it effectively fobbing the costs over to the parks who then have to make decisions to cut those staff wages later. How similar this sounds to Sub Terra worries me, not because I didn't like Sub Terra, but because it had problems that shouldn't be repeated. Another thing I don't like is how the video implies its really groundbreaking to the world of theme parks - I guess they're talking about the VR, but it implies overall experience. It implies we're getting a Universal standard experience. I'm pretty confident we cannot possibly be. Goes back to what Ben said. VR in itself is a worry for a bazillion reasons for me - operational, hygiene, reliability and quality of footage.

Something I rather like but I am confused by is the design team having a face again - it's like the Wardley days. I find that interesting, adds a sense of genuineness and... I dunno, artistry? Dunno maybe this is just me being weird.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Martyn B said:
SilverArrow said:
The retro lover in me likes the use of bringing in the ghost train concept- I do wonder whether it will actually feature any parallels with it's classic namesakes though.

I think the term "ghost train" is being used here because of the actual train, and being scary. I can't see there being any connections what so ever with a traditional ghost train. At a guess, there could be 3 or 4 of these carriage, and it all takes place inside, whilst you're sat down with the head set on.
Yeah, I think you are right. I makes no difference but it was an initial thought.

Also, 30 minutes sounds pretty long. I suppose it's like a mashup between a show and a ride.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

I bet there will be a bit where the chains 'holding' the carriage 'break' followed by a short, sharp drop

Lofty

CF Legend

Joey said:
What I don't like... Another horror experiential attraction, VR and the the idea of another actor led attraction. With the exception of VR, there's a history of these elements not working at Merlin parks. The use of actors is likely a way to maximize project budget, but it effectively fobbing the costs over to the parks who then have to make decisions to cut those staff wages later. How similar this sounds to Sub Terra worries me, not because I didn't like Sub Terra, but because it had problems that shouldn't be repeated. Another thing I don't like is how the video implies its really groundbreaking to the world of theme parks - I guess they're talking about the VR, but it implies overall experience. It implies we're getting a Universal standard experience. I'm pretty confident we cannot possibly be. Goes back to what Ben said. VR in itself is a worry for a bazillion reasons for me - operational, hygiene, reliability and quality of footage.
This isn't trying to start an argument, it's a genuine question - where does it state that it's an 'actor led experience' in the press release? I've glazed over them, but couldn't actually see that stated?

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Lofty said:
Joey said:
This isn't trying to start an argument, it's a genuine question - where does it state that it's an 'actor led experience' in the press release? I've glazed over them, but couldn't actually see that stated?
I have the same question, as when I first read it I thought it referred to Live Actors as well, then as I was writing my earlier response I double checked the release and it states "Live Action".
If there are actors involved then I have the same reservations as Joey.

v I thought the same thing DJ, my initial thought was not VR headsets but VR screens.

djreplay26

Roller Poster

Maybe it will be bit like the hogwarts express and have screens for windows of the train, or they just use the vr headsets.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Lofty said:
Joey said:
I'm sure the video said something that implied it. So, I guess not confirmed and sorry for making it sound that way.

Lofty

CF Legend

No, no, that's fine, I was wondering if I was missing something that I hadn't seen.

I think the video said "live action", which implies actors, but in reality, as you know, it could actually just be anything that physically moves or interacts with the audience at a given time.

probably a rather wild theory... but could part of the ride be a repurposed ripsaw? Seeing as how it's been taken apart at alton towers, the top spin is probably about the right length to fit in. Add a train facade, some mirrors in a dark warehouse, maybe a bit of pepper's ghost and a walkway to the centre and it could become part of the ride. That's where my mind went anyway with the first picture of the train.

peep

CF Legend

Joey said:
Something I rather like but I am confused by is the design team having a face again - it's like the Wardley days. I find that interesting, adds a sense of genuineness and... I dunno, artistry? Dunno maybe this is just me being weird.

I picked up on this, they had Bradley do a bit for the Alton stuff too. Interesting they're having more of a focus on the people behind the rides again.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think having Derren Brown front a ride is actually a brilliant marketing strategy and the social media buzz surrounding it totally confirms that. He has a big following and that should create a natural buzz and spread the word easily once it opens.

However after Thorpe changing tack to be more family-friendly I think it's interesting they'd remove one of the few remaining family attractions for something scary and back to the teenage thrill market they previously sought after. Even the level of horror in the marketing is putting me off. I'm fine with scare mazes because I find them amusing but I hate most horror films and putting that level of intensity into an attraction with VR (horror VR is like my biggest turn-off) is just not something I want to experience.

I know I'm in a minority but that's why I can't get excited for it, the marketing is for the opposite of what I enjoy.

If their VR is full CG then I hope they threw money at it because a full CG environment with fully animated people/creatures is super expensive and for it to work in a ride environment it needs to be the top end. Look at Fast and Furious out in Hollywood, they threw money at that and ended up with something quite not up to par with what everyone sees at the cinema with the big blockbusters and guests noticed that. If it looks cheap people will moan, and I'm talking about more than the goon community.

Having said all that I am intrigued by this attraction.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

spicy

Giga Poster

^^ No I very much doubt any of Ripsaw has been re-used in this, although imagine if it just turned out to be Ripsaw in the dark :lol:

The more I think about the idea & theme behind this it has grown on me a lot, if anything we haven't had an attraction as mysterious as this where literally no one knows what it is in a very long time. That in itself is a good thing.

Most people are also setting themselves up to be disappointed, which can only work in its favour if it does somehow turn out to be amazing.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

If it did turn out to be ripsaw in the dark, it would be almost as disappointing as finding spinning cars on a big apple!