What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

CF Legend
Inverse said:
don't they usually build the building around the track? For them to keep it a secret, they'd have to either do it the other way around or but up a big tent to build under or something.

This, I would say, would depend on when it's built. If they left it until the off-season to build that part, it would be EASY to hide it.

Remember how long it took for Corkscrew removal photos to appear?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^^ That's the guy from Blue Peter.

I don't think too much has been given away. We knew the train moves from 1st floor to below ground level somehow and starts to go backwards. It is how. The interesting point i think is where he said:
create the ultimate feeling of fear
The ride doesn't look to be a thrill ride, but he says otherwise.

Ali

Mega Poster
A near vertical drop which has as inline twist included in the drop. Not going to happen though! :lol:

Smithy

Strata Poster
Hmmm. Car crash. Gives the impression of a very sudden stop in the building, and then maybe a launch backwards. Perhaps a video in front of the train of something flying towards you, then being launched backwards and down a short vertical/steep drop just at the last minute?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Not quite the huge topic we were expecting as yet...

Thrill Lab will have something to do with the ride, thats for certain.

A sign has been put up now in Ug Land saying "Another fantabulous addition to Alton Towers Resort coming 2010" or something like that, I'll find a picture later.

I am making a few trips to AT this season, so will be able to see how construction develops (April, July, August (maybe), November). A bit of machinery has moved in, and I expect that by the time I visit next month, enough will be in to start the first steps, terraining and laying of foundations etc. In the summer there should be a bit of trck on site, and the area will start to be created. By November there should be a fair bit of track, station and area up, and Ug Land may be closed.

I wonder if this will be on Fastrack, or if they will do a Rita style add on to the Thrill ticket, which I hope not because that makes it £12 as it is, and that is saying Rita is twice as good as Nemesis, Oblivion or Air, or equal to any two rides on it added together. Even if you like Rita, an extra £4 is not fair. If it was available seperately then £4 is maybe acceptable, but it should be £2 with Fastrack Thrill, or all on one ticket for £10.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Considering it does open till about this time next year, and there is about 20 pages on the topic already and 7 on here all ready, id say its pretty big

Pierre

Strata Poster
UC said:
I think some people burned themselves out in that other topic too...I mean, there's only so much that can be said about the same damned documents over and over again...

...though UC will find a way to say absolutely everything.

A

Anonymous

new ride at alton towers

hi, i wonderd if you could tell me when the new ride at alton towers will be built, and how long would it take to build?? :--D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hi... Erm, I'm sure ;)

The actual ride construction probably won't start until much later this year, or possible even just over the closed season. Looking at the complexity of the building though, it's likely to start roughly summer time at a guess.

The basic track will take just a few weeks to construct. Essentially, you'll just see mud and a bit of concrete here and there for several weeks. Then all of a sudden vertical construction will start, and the coaster essentially comes together like a Lego kit. The track will go down in a few weeks.

Construction will then start on the actual buildings which surround it. Testing is usually between three and six months after vertical construction starts - depending on the complexity of the coaster, and the surrounding theming etc.

However, this has a secret in the building, so expect much of the construction to actually be hidden away as best as Alton can :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
They hid Oblivion well enough...

And Nemesis...

Obviously it's harder nowadays to stop things spreading because of the internet, but I do think that they may go hide the special section or even build it last a la Oblivion...

Martyn B

CF Legend
The actual ride construction probably won't start until much later this year, or possible even just over the closed season. Looking at the complexity of the building though, it's likely to start roughly summer time at a guess.

Theres lots of diggers and work going on on-site already.

On a side note, surely this will be Ug-Land's last year, yeah? Though they do still have that special touch to make rides stick out, ala Flume...

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
UC said:
I think some people burned themselves out in that other topic too...I mean, there's only so much that can be said about the same damned documents over and over again...

...though CF will find a way to say absolutely everything.

There's also only so much you can say about a drop, two helices and four hills... hmmm...

darrenhosker

Roller Poster
Could the worlds first be a backwards indoor loop? It could enter the building and switch tracks like Everest and the drop down into a loop over the station (enclosed) and exit the building into the helix turn.

Just a thought.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Track enters the station (pre switch track) midway between the top level and bottom level of the building.

The building is around 9 meters high, or 30 foot or so. It's going to be cramped in there, and there just isn't enough room for that kind of thing. A 30 foot high loop would be pushing it, but add in the fact the station is higher, it would have to be lower than that. I just don't think there's room.

As Dave says, it also wouldn't be a world's first element looping in the dark. Rock'n'Roller Coaster has a launch and inversions in the dark - though not backwards.

Crow

Mega Poster
I still think it could be the world's first robocoaster.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldjaUfS9jc&feature=PlayList&p=472F33554C237FD1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13[/youtube]

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Strongest hints we've recieved is that it's a very short, sharp drop of some sorts (as mentioned in the Thrill Designer article). Although how that's a world's first i don't know. The guy has been studying car crashes in preperation for this, how that is linked exactly, i don't know: world first rollercoaster with air bags and 3-point seat belts? :shock: :lol:

Many people have given strong arguments against the Robocoaster, it's not possible because of ownership rights etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.