What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Have not been this year so not seen the Reef but have heard good things.

For me its always going to be hard to see Alton any better than it was 20 years ago, trust me when I say it was called the Disney of the UK and had a magic feeling.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
marc said:
They should get the people from Universal to work on the theming, the same team that done the Mummy. They are sister companies so it would not be that hard, the coaster type will be the same as well so how hard can it be?

$40 million dollars harder...

The mummy coasters are hardly within the price tag range of Alton...

Also, even BEFORE the $40 million they spent on the Mummy, Universal had a spare mahoosive empty warehouse...

Alton have got to build a 'warehouse', theme the outside, build a coaster and theme the inside... it's hard to make the meagre budget stretch massively when theres that much to be done...

Also, spare thought:

£12 million for Nemesis
£12 million for Oblivion
£12 million for AIR
~£12 million for this thing

Alton are hardly increasing their spending in line with the fact that things get more expensive over ten years...

marc

CF Legend
Ok good point :) I did not know the Mummy cost that much. But the same team could do a good job with a smaller budget thats what I meant I was not saying get the Mummy I just said use the same team.

Universal had to remove King Kong from that building as well, was not empty.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Ollie said:
Blaze said:
My money is still on Intamin.
Don't expect to get rich soon then. :p

And Marc it's the Splash Battle you walked past. Even though it's part of the Mutiny Bay area it's still quite far from all the other rides in that area. I'm still not sure how you did it. Maybe you were expecting it to take up the whole lake but it's a damn good ride and the themeing is pretty good.
I'll be surprised if you managed to walk through the rest of Mutiny Bay and not notice anything. And aren't there plans to remove the log flume soon or something?

Anyway I just wish the track would hurry up and get on site so I can finally start talking about it. It's the time in construction where it should be there. Most the groundwork is complete and the footers are in place.
Apparently they've started putting concrete in one of the large holes no. Not sure exactly as I was just skim reading the TT Forums.
Why not? They seem most likely looking at the elements and the supports. A drop or tilt will be easy enough for them to create. Couldn't really care that much though.

Flume is staying for a while yet, and I like the theme, it's quirky and original. Maybe not great from an enthusiast view, but I like it.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Well if we're talking about money...

My money is on track arriving probably about this time next month.

marc

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Blaze said:
My money is still on Intamin.
Don't expect to get rich soon then. :p

And Marc it's the Splash Battle you walked past. Even though it's part of the Mutiny Bay area it's still quite far from all the other rides in that area. I'm still not sure how you did it. Maybe you were expecting it to take up the whole lake but it's a damn good ride and the themeing is pretty good.
I'll be surprised if you managed to walk through the rest of Mutiny Bay and not notice anything. And aren't there plans to remove the log flume soon or something?

Anyway I just wish the track would hurry up and get on site so I can finally start talking about it. It's the time in construction where it should be there. Most the groundwork is complete and the footers are in place.
Apparently they've started putting concrete in one of the large holes no. Not sure exactly as I was just skim reading the TT Forums.

It was on the Corkscrew last day event, Martyn did not see the Splash Battle either it was shut though so that might be why.

I did notice the area had been changed, but for me its not a big change. People go on about its but its really not that out standing. Guess I am just comparing it to other parks around the world and should stop doing that really, after all Alton is in the UK :) Merlin are capable of doing better, look at Lego Land and their parks in Europe.

I can not wait until Ug Land is no more, its the worst themed area in any theme park I have always hated it.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I've always found Ug land pretty crap, though that was probably because there wasn't really any rides there worth riding; and it seemed to get worse every year. I'm glad/hope it's being re-themed along with the new coaster

Martyn B

CF Legend
thing about Rita that will change is the name and/or logo, it would seem.

I think the theme/colours will change, but when depends on if there is a story attatched to this. (I cant belive Rita isnearly 5 years old already!!)

£12 million for Nemesis

I think Nemesis was actually about £10m :p

Alton are hardly increasing their spending in line with the fact that things get more expensive over ten years...

Have rides got more expensive though? I dont no about the States, but here most big rides of the same size seem to average at £10-12m. Nemesis, Colossus, Inferno, Stealth, Air, Oblivion, Rita & Shockwave were all about an average of £10m and that ranges from 1994 -2006. Just look at the technology used on Rita, yet it was still £4m less than Air/Oblivion!

Anyway, judging by all the pictures showing Intamin's footers compared to these, I really dont think its Intamin, Gerstaulererar for me.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Aye, but do Gerstlauer make square supports or a coaster type for this? It has a similar if not same capacity as Corkscrew did, and has two trains, so it can't be a Eurofighter, and will have to have between five and 7 cars of 2x2 seating, or be slightly smaller, say Mega-Lite size trains of 3x2x2 and have a very short ride time.

Could this have an accelerated lift? the dull out is long and the drop shallow, suggesting more speed than usual. I don't mean launched, just accelerated.

Jools

Giga Poster
You know Alton with short ride times, it's all about the novelties, Oblivion, Air (well not that short), but that's one method of getting a larger audience.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I'd say they are too much of an outsider, they havn't been mentioned for a while, and don't really have a presence in the UK for big, flagship coasters. Wouldn't mind it being a Vekoma, they are much improved these days and makes sence with the Corkscrew heritage thing this ride seems to be utilising. Shame they couldn't of had vekima make this and use that track style-even go as far as refurbing and reusing the corkscrews...but that would be pretty much impossible even before it was shown to be a non-inverting bi-rail.

marc

CF Legend
Not having a big presence in the UK would suit them fine, as now they would.

This ride suits them to the ground tbh, we shall see.

I think Furie said them ages ago as a possibility, plus when you look at the real concept art the track looks like what is used on the Mummy. Anyway time will tell.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
The plans, which have to be accurate, show bi-rail and square supports, which is why I'm going for Intamin, but we shall see. Expecting track to be here within 2-4 weeks, and wonder what is happening in the woods where we can't see. Anyone fancy putting on some cam-cream and dear antlers and sneaking up to have a look? :D

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Premier is plausible. They have delt with track switches before.

I would bet that track is already there, hidden away. We can't see whats in the woods. For all we know, the track and everything could alreadly be up down there. Makes sense to get one half completely done undercover of the trees.

Has anybody got a plane? ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Problem is, even if track arrives - we're no closer to knowing who the manufacturer is.

We've already seen the track and supports - it's in the plans. Seeing the real version won't clear anything up at all!

All that will clear it up is if there are labels on the track like at Kings Dominion :)

Darren

Roller Poster
Track arrives on-site for 2010 coaster!

Taken from ATA:

The track for Secret Weapon 6, the new roller coaster at Alton Towers for next year, has been delivered.

Construction of the coaster is expected to proceed at a very fast pace, with some estimates saying that the entire circuit will be in place in time for the Scarefest Halloween event starting, mid-way through next month.

The track arrived yesterday in several large containers, along with a crane and other equipment. They are temporarily being stored in a seldom-used car park near the Alton Towers Hotel.

A temporary fence has gone up around the containers, preventing the general public from getting too close (in contrast to Air and Rita, where there was no such restriction).

Status
Not open for further replies.