What's new

The Worst B&M Inverted Coaster

A

Anonymous

I was hyped in riding Nemesis a lot, and it didn't dissapoint for me. It's my favourite coaster now. There are a few "swift" transitions which I have to hold on a bit for, but it's not painful even without holding on.

I've only been on two, and I order them:
1. Nemesis
2. Nemesis Inferno

Of all the coasters I've been on, I rate my first two as:
1. Nemesis
2. Nemesis Inferno

Basically I love both of them! I don't find Inferno forceless (The last helix is almost on par with Nemesis'!) and I don't find Nemesis rough. They're both brilliant coasters and deserving of a 10/10

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Here's my list - all judged on front seat rides (with my my overall ranking):

1. Alpie (#17) - the biggest & baddest invert on the
icon_censored.gif
ing planet!
2. Black Mamba (#41)- best themed invert I've ridden.
3. Montu (#47) - nicely themed & has the most forceful turn of any B&M invert I've ridden.
4. Afterburn (#59) - Great layout & more forceful than Talon.
5. Batman clones (#60) - ridden the ones at Magic Mountain, Great America, St. Louis, Georgia & Great Adventure: all are fast & fun!
6. Talon (#61) - Best coaster at Dorney (& a lot of other parks for that matter).
7. Dueling Dragons (#68) - Fire has the better layout, but Ice has much better views of the 'close calls'.
8. Great Bear (#84) - could have been so much more.
9. Raptor (#132) - rougher than all the rest.
10. Silver Bullet (#133) - nice invert, simple as...

Like most everyone, I too like all B&M inverts. It's interesting to note how close Afterburn, Talon & the Batman clones rate overall. Raptor barely rates above Silver Bullet, but is far more disappointing.

Dave

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno is the worst I've ridden out of the 2 because of the too smooth nature of it. It dosen't feel as if your on a roller coaster because it hasn't got that wild sensation which Nemesis has.

But to Rush's comments earlier on about pacing, what sucks about a ride that dosen't even reach its top speed until 2/3 of the way in? Thats whats called good pacing

Sam

Giga Poster
Those Duelling Dragons things in Florida. I thought they were both ****. One more so than the other, can't remember which was worse, but they both bored the arse off me to be fair.

A

Anonymous

Silver Bullet. I didn't like that one, && i've only been on Dueling Dragons, SB, Raptor, Alpie, Nem & Nem Inferno.

Martyn B

CF Legend
There is one thing each on Nemesis, and Inferno that annoys me, and I want to know if other B&M Inverts have the same 'thing' - they each have a moment which kills the ride, as it slows down way too much.

On Nemesis, its on the stall turn/turnaround/whatever before the final corkscrew, and on Inferno its the first helix after the corkscrews.

Its a shame as well becuase both of them have such a nice fast pace/flow to them, but then its just killed. Is this a common theme for B&M?

Rush

Giga Poster
Dave said:
But to Rush's comments earlier on about pacing, what sucks about a ride that dosen't even reach its top speed until 2/3 of the way in? Thats whats called good pacing

Here is your answer.

Martyn B said:
There is one thing each on Nemesis, and Inferno that annoys me, and I want to know if other B&M Inverts have the same 'thing' - they each have a moment which kills the ride, as it slows down way too much.

On Nemesis, its on the stall turn/turnaround/whatever before the final corkscrew, and on Inferno its the first helix after the corkscrews.

QFT.

I believe that it reaches it's top speed just before the loop, and then it is killed immediately after. All that build up of speed suddenly just wasted. I much prefer it when the coaster gets straight into it, fast from the beginning. Nemesis just doesn't do it for me, the beginning's too slow, why start the coaster half way through the layout? Build up is nice, but on Nemesis I never feel a huge amount of acceleration on it. I guess everyone else would disagree with me on that.

Though that's just one of the reasons I dislike it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:

It was flying around there at a couple of points this year - tingly feet syndrome from the G's - again, Nemesis can die there a lot, but when it's flying, it doesn't have a single dead spot. However, you do have to take "most rides" as the norm :)

Erm, Great Bear definitely had lots of little odd dead spots. Talon did too a little if I remember correctly (Ben will say I don't :p ). Alpengeist? Maybe, but it's filled with tunnels and scenery to take your mind off it. Batman? Nope, it's bambambambamvomit from start to end :)

Lain

Giga Poster
I would have to say Inferno is the worst one I've been on.

I don't think it's a bad ride though, it's just that the other three I've been on are stupidly awesome.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
furie said:
Erm, Great Bear definitely had lots of little odd dead spots. Talon did too a little if I remember correctly (Ben will say I don't :p )

Yeah, you're confusing it with Nemesis.

Thought so :p

It came close to being as good as Nemesis, really wasn't very much in it. Alpengeist I found really showed as being better though. As I say, in the great scheme of things there's not much between them, but Alpengeist was clearly better. Talon and Nemesis? I'd have to ride them on the same day I think and under the same conditions, but the rides on Talon were like "most" of the rides I've had on Nemesis (with the couple of slightly dead spots), however, they didn't really come close to Nemesis on a good day. I could see how it could be though - the potential was definitely there.

Dave

CF Legend
But why are you saying its slow through a stall turn which implies it slows down somewhat?

Snoo

The Legend
Ben said:
furie said:
Erm, Great Bear definitely had lots of little odd dead spots. Talon did too a little if I remember correctly (Ben will say I don't :p )

Yeah, you're confusing it with Nemesis.

Talon did have a dead spot or two Ben. Don't deny these facts.

nealbie

CF Legend
Ben dislikes Nemesis because it is - popular. It is a silly way of liking/disliking things :lol:

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I think its good Nemesis slows on the stall turn or has slight slow spots. If it went fast or the same speed, you wouldn't notice the acceleration of that large drop after it. The drop feels more powerful or has more of an impact on you. Its quite hard to explain. High - Very low speed is more impacting than High - Medium speed.

Might aswell say this. I think Talon looks one of the best. I can see from a POV and listerning to the train, it has a large vary of accelerations. Especially the ending after the slow vampire esque part. Looks to have a nice flick out, then in to place your head, followed by an Inversion followed quickly by +G helix, then quickly 0G for the raise, +G again for a dip and a pop of air for the brakes?. Sound close?

Im still solid on Raptor being the worst. Starts good then, Bang Head Bang, meander for a bit. Bang. Meander. Concusion on that last bit of track. Get off wondering why you queued 70 mins for a headache.

Rush

Giga Poster
Dave said:
But why are you saying its slow through a stall turn which implies it slows down somewhat?

Urrm... because it slows down a lot. :rolls: Thus killing the pacing which you picked up on last time.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
A-Kid said:
Im still solid on Raptor being the worst. Starts good then, Bang Head Bang, meander for a bit. Bang. Meander. Concusion on that last bit of track. Get off wondering why you queued 70 mins for a headache.

I agree with that (except for Raptor being the worst). It's really difficult to rank a ride that just starts out awesome but then beats you up...I just have it as my favorite because my 2nd favorite, Batman, isn't really 'enjoyable' while on the ride. After the ride, you're thinking it was great, but during the ride you're sitting there with your teeth clenched holding onto the OTSR...on Raptor, while rough, the ride is still pretty intense and fun at the same time.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
CreditCrazy said:
A-Kid said:

I agree with that (except for Raptor being the worst). It's really difficult to rank a ride that just starts out awesome but then beats you up...I just have it as my favorite because my 2nd favorite, Batman, isn't really 'enjoyable' while on the ride. After the ride, you're thinking it was great, but during the ride you're sitting there with your teeth clenched holding onto the OTSR...on Raptor, while rough, the ride is still pretty intense and fun at the same time.

STC

Mega Poster
Out of Nemmy, Nemmy Inferno, Batman, Silver Bullet and both Dueling Dragons, I'm going to go with Silver Bullet, easily.

It was very boring, forceless (except for one upwards helix) and has an incredibly shallow first drop for seemingly no reason at all. I'd rank them thus:-

Nemmy
Batman
DD Ice
DD Fire
Inferno
SB

andrus

Giga Poster
bezzzzzer said:
HERE is a list of all of the B&M Inverts our planet holds to assist you with your decision.
Interesting list with a couple of coasters I've never heard of! E.g. Phaeton looks really really good! But how come it isn't even reated at Mitch Hawker? Are there not enough riders how have ridden it? Or does it just suck big time irl??