Vekoma SLC: Love it or Hate it?

• Love It

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Hate It

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Personally, I love Vekoma SLCs. They HURT but a little pain is always good for me. I like the jerkeyness and the G's that you pull in the sidewinder. The Inline Twist also sends your head for quite a spin. The SLC at SFNE is my favorite ride in the park... it ties with Bizarro/Ride of Steel for me.
Although this ride packs quite a punch, I think it looks pretty intimidating. The first time I rode it it turned out to be not nearly as crazy as it looked, but to many it looks more intimidating than it really is.
What do you think? Is it all intimidation and less intense than it looks? or is it alot worse than a spaghetti bowl of track?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You think Mindbender ties with Bizzaro?

Man, your brain is ****ed.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Ive been on Bizarro so many times its really lost its charm. I've done it COUNTLESS times. Unless im in the front row, it's just the same damn track layout every time.

Mind Eraser: That thing is so ****ed up and twisted I STILL dont know whats coming next.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^So is Mindbender. In fact, it's exactly the same as all the other SLCs I've done! :lol:

Mindbender is the same "damn track layout every time" AND it's stupidly rough!

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
I know its the same, but its rough, I like it rough :) and I <3 rough. I also felt Bizarro did not have enough airtime. Mind Eraser has like no airtime, but the ride feels a hell of a lot twistier. PLUS I <3 Inversions.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I neither love nor hate SLCs. If you actually look at the layout of the Vekoma SLC, the layout is actually fairly good (imo). You have some high force elements, and some good footchoppers in the rolls. For a compact coaster, it works well. Unfortunately, all the SLCs I've been on so far (all 2 of them) have suffered from the classic Vekoma roughness so the pain of the headbanging overshadows the ride.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
I'm in neither camp. SLCs are just okay rides. I don't find them so rough I can't ride them, and they have a good layout.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I've been on one good one, then there's Infusion... Siam Park City's Vortex was so smooth, it made the ride a million times better, I just think if they were all smooth they would be potentially great rollercoasters. I mean they're all pretty forceful packing at around 5 G's, some of the elements are great and the layout for a clone model is pretty good. I'll just slot myself in the neither camp too :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
They have great layouts, but they're very hit or miss coasters. Some are fairly smooth, like Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure or Batman The Ride at Six Flags Mexico, and some are just absolutely awful, like Mind Eraser at Six Flags America.

peep

CF Legend
I think I've been on 4 or 5 now and I just hate them. With those huge restraints it's hard not to keep banging into them during the ride making it a very unbearable experience.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I like the drops on an SLC, and they pack a lot of punch for your money. I think they get slated a little unfairly... But having said that, I tend to avoid them due to the whole headache thing.

However, they ARE quite exciting rides. Fast, forceful and full of pain ;)

I was not sad Mindbender was closed though and we got longer on Boulder Dash because of it :)

Tony

Hyper Poster
I've bee on 2 and they both pretty much sucked! I don't think the layout is that great and all fun is lost trying to brace yourself for the roughness.

Rush

Giga Poster
I've been on two.

I actually quite like Infusion. It's relatively intense, looks nice and although it's rough, it's didn't give me a headache and I didn't think it was painful at all to be honest.

Kumali on the other hand, what a load of tosh. Even if it was smooth it would have possibly the dullest layout ever and I can't think of one thing apart from the first drop which makes this ride good.

So really I think they're a bit of a hit and miss, I'm sure if they weren't ****ing everywhere they'd be rated a bit higher. Though saying that I can't see how it rides better than Bizarro at all.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
If they are all anything like Infusion then they are definately over-slated. It wasn't that rough. It was only where it rolled where it bashed you up a little. The rest was smooth.

Restraints just need to be wider away from your head really. They would be fine then.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
I did not find mind eraser at SFNE terribly rough aside from the twists. However the first time i rode it I sat front seat and nearly pissed myself at the footchoppers

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A-Kid said:
If they are all anything like Infusion then they are definately over-slated.

I'd personally put Infusion right in the middle of the SLCs I've ridden in terms of smoothness/roughness; I didn't find it anywhere as bad as some of them, but there are definitely smoother ones out there.

To be honest, after riding a few more of the rougher ones this year, I'm starting to dislike them. I used to think they were ok, but I hadn't been on any really painful ones.

The layout of the standard SLC is pretty good though, better than the "Kumali" layout anyway; those coasters are just **** ing boring.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
Kumali looks like a load of **** its not nearly as compacted as Mind Eraser or the Great Noreaster. those rides are meant for disorientation and legchoppers. It hurts so good, that i wouldnt change anything about the standard SLC Layout so Jubilee Oddessy can SMD

Jools

Giga Poster
It's a roller coaster = I love it, and I have yet to experience pain due to one, other than Infusion back when I wore glasses it made them dig into me, but yeh now, I even have a DVD of me on Kumali because I liked it :).

Plus I also like it rough, that's why I Colossus, The Ultimate, Baco and Stampida are favourites of mine, I just hate too tight restraints!!
And to the dumb people who keep saying Saw is rough, I've found rougher toilet paper.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
dropthefloor93 said:
It hurts so good, that i wouldnt change anything about the standard SLC Layout so Jubilee Oddessy can SMD

LOL! JO is still lingering just outside of my Top Ten somewhere. Standard SLC clones linger in the 50's or 60's I think. A long way down anyway.

I know not everyone agrees with me about JO, but the ride is a brute, and it's certainly much higher on "fear factor" than Alpengeist. The first drop is like nothing else really, it's superb (the rest of the ride is a bit iffy, but it's still considerably better than a standard SLC clone).