What's new

The TV we watch...

peep

CF Legend
Watched the first ep of Dracula, can't be bothered to continue watching and that was before I heard everyone's gripes with the other eps.

Anyone else see Netflix's Messiah? I thought the concept was interesting but I found it all a bit tedious.

The Witcher - I thought this show looked incredible, the production design was really well done. I found it a bit hard to get in to but gave it a chance as I warmed to the World it was building up. Certainly a show that gets better as it goes, will be very interesting to see a second season.

The Goes Wrong Show - Only first 2 eps have aired so far but it brings more of the Mischeif Theatre groups' antics to the small screen which is always a joy even if some of their gags are being a bit over-used.

Watchmen was excellent, looking forward to the second season.

Watched the Gavin & Stacey special on Christmas day with the family. Had never sat down to watch it before, it was ok, that ending was a bit rubbish though.

Wasn't sure where to put it but I also watched the John Mulaney special on Netflix with the sack lunch bunch. It was a very weird special but I found some of it very funny and I enjoyed a couple of the tunes.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ you know I tried watching that Goes Wrong thing because I remembered that you were a big fan of the stage stuff. It was poor though, I managed the first (Xmas) episode and started the second (Pilot) one just in case the awfulness of the first one was a one-off. It wasn't so I switched that off.

The Witcher is good, though - not quite finished it yet as I've been binge watching Man in the High Castle (having acquired a Prime login) instead (yes old news, but I had fancied it for a while (I recall reading the book as a youth) enjoying that but its not as good as I thought it would be - 2 seasons done, 2 to go).

Also S2 of Lost in Space, only a couple of episodes in and it suffers the same issues as S1 I think - high production values, well made, but the pots are awful, so many lucky coincidences in lieu of an actual story. Will persevere though as it is still watchable (and S1 got better as it went along)

Oh and G&S was awful too - I think I watched all the series way back when, but so many of the "characters" are just horrible.

peep

CF Legend
It wasn't so I switched that off.

Fair. My Sister has the same reaction to their TV work. I think there is something about it that doesn't translate as well to the screen, the stage shows are prone to a fair amount of improv too.

I didn't gel too well with Man in High Castle, liked the concept but it felt like one of those shows that wouldn't go anywhere interesting with it. Don't think I lasted too many eps. Will be giving Lost in Space S2 a watch soon.

Forgot some earlier!

Crown season 3, fantastic production if a bit slow at times. Always interesting watching the politics unfold as I admit I'm a bit clueless to some of these stories and political figures.

Don't f*** with cats - Brilliant documentary about some internet goons researching into a horrible video that leads to some insane twists.

Last edited:

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ Also currently blasting through The Crown (currently midway through series 2) after it was recommended to me some time ago. The show is surprisingly great, it somehow succeeds in making some of the (arguably) mundane Royal affairs seem enthralling and dramatic. Very well written and produced and the casting is on point (thus far, I know it'll change come series 3).

Don't F*ck with Cats was a good documentary. Probably in my Top 10 crime documentaries produced by Netflix. Again, this is mainly down to great use of writing, production and editing as the way the story unravels over the 3 episodes is fascinating and gripped me from the beginning

Finally, I decided to tuck into that 'The People vs OJ'. A bit late to the party, I know. The first episode was okay, meandered a bit and got a bit bored through aspects of it but episode 2 onwards was impressive, and again, very well written. Since it's part of the American Crime Story series, we're going to move onto the next series which is 'The Assassination of Gianni Versace', as it also looks quite interesting. I think there's a new series out this year about the whole Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky affair... which seems like a different direction for the series to go.

X: Uknown

Mega Poster
Just saw the newest episode of Harley Quinn. The show as a whole is witty and irreverent, with characters I didn't know existed like the Queen of Fables and Kite man. i will say there is lots of blood in episode 1 and 7 and you'll never see the Three Little Pigs the same way again.

Anyone watching the show You on Netflix? It's a little but far-fetched but season 1 was great and season 2 seems like it's shaping up to be pretty good as well. Never watched a show where the viewer roots for a murderous villain, which is one of the reasons I've found it interesting. I binge watched it which is unusual for me.

Also the Circle is total crap/trash TV but I watched all of that so far as well.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I watched the 1st series of You after enjoying the book, and I really liked it. I wasn't as keen on the 2nd series though. I watched all of it, but it wasn't a patch on the 1st and was trying too hard to be Dexter.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Sadly, we're not wrong. Dave is never wrong, you should know this by now. ;)

In other news, I'm having quite a lot of fun watching Disjointed on Netflix. It's a sit-com where Kathy Bates - yes, the Kathy Bates plays the owner of a California weed shop.
Don't quite see it becoming the new Big Bang Theory, but it's pretty funny... if you're into 'that kind of thing'. ;)
Nothing pisses me off more than knowing they didn't give this show a second season. It's ****ing gold. Dank and Dabbie are the highlights. The cast is great.

I'm gonna go rewatch now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure if this qualified for the TV we watch, but Caroline Flack, former presenter of Love Island, has died. Reports say she has taken her own life.

Why hasn't Love Island been axed? Why is reality TV in general allowed to continue to humiliate people and make one year wonder careers? Also, the modern media must be blamed for this partly too.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I wasn't sure if this qualified for the TV we watch, but Caroline Flack, former presenter of Love Island, has died. Reports say she has taken her own life.

Why hasn't Love Island been axed? Why is reality TV in general allowed to continue to humiliate people and make one year wonder careers? Also, the modern media must be blamed for this partly too.
How is Love Island to blame for her attempting to murder her boyfriend as he sleeps in a rage of jealousy after going through his phone?

I’m sorry, it’s a tragic story, but she was a criminal with some dark issues and insecurities.

If anybody should be to blame for her mental health since this event, then surely it is the media, and their constant harassment rather than her former employer.

Seriously how can you pin this on Love Island in any way? Thing is, you’re not the only one, seems a lot of people have their claws out for that show, and with the sad state of society today, they’ll probably get what they want... Misplaced blame at it’s worst.

How is Love Island to blame for her attempting to murder her boyfriend as he sleeps in a rage of jealousy after going through his phone?

I’m sorry, it’s a tragic story, but she was a criminal with some dark issues and insecurities.

If anybody should be to blame for her mental health since this event, then surely it is the media, and their constant harassment rather than her former employer.

Seriously how can you pin this on Love Island in any way? Thing is, you’re not the only one, seems a lot of people have their claws out for that show, and with the sad state of society today, they’ll probably get what they want... Misplaced blame at it’s worst.
I don't pin this on Love Island cause I always thought there was a danger on reality TV. I put the blame on the media, pressurising someone that needed support for her mental health

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I don't pin this on Love Island cause I always thought there was a danger on reality TV. I put the blame on the media, pressurising someone that needed support for her mental health

Ok, but your first post was pretty damning of love island. She was never even a contestant, so you can surely see why I struggled to understand how your comments r.e reality TV were even relevant to this tragedy.

Whilst we’re on the subject though, with the previous tragedies, it’s more the media that are to blame. Love island itself is quite a wholesome show, with lots of sweet moments and romantic gestures. It contains much less ‘drama’ than the average youngster in the UK’s real love life (believe me I know) The issue is the way the media report about the contestants. Some are unfairly demonised in the press, for basically being young, and doing as young people do! (Myself in the past, and probably you included.) This has led to suicides unfortunately. But it’s the press that should hang their heads in shame.

I do think that some reality shows could screen potential contestants better to ensure they are strong and stable enough to handle the increased media attention, but by all accounts that’s exactly what they’ve been improving in recent years. But again, this wouldn’t be necessary if the press were not allowed to act like absolute vultures with people’s privacy.

peep

CF Legend
Anyone else watch that new Netflix show Locke & Key? I liked it, a dark mystery show that genuinely goes to some dark places. The vfx were pretty good too but did feel like some of the character's attitudes change between episodes and some seem to disappear for ages. Thought the finale was a decent pay off and am intrigued to see more.

Avenue 5 on HBO/Sky has been quite amusing, not sure how long they can stretch this premise out but I'm enjoying it so far.

UK finally got another HBO comedy, The Righteous Gemstones which has been great. I still occasionally giggle to myself over the first scene in the first ep, great introduction to the show.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Anyone else watch that new Netflix show Locke & Key? I liked it, a dark mystery show that genuinely goes to some dark places. The vfx were pretty good too but did feel like some of the character's attitudes change between episodes and some seem to disappear for ages. Thought the finale was a decent pay off and am intrigued to see more.

Avenue 5 on HBO/Sky has been quite amusing, not sure how long they can stretch this premise out but I'm enjoying it so far.

UK finally got another HBO comedy, The Righteous Gemstones which has been great. I still occasionally giggle to myself over the first scene in the first ep, great introduction to the show.
Just finished Locke and Key last night. I enjoyed it, not as much as my wife as the little kid kinda bugged me, but I called the reveal at the end early.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Fifth season of Better Call Saul kicks off tonight after a nearly-two-year hiatus. Not sure where it will go from here but the show has featured some tremendous writing and acting. Some of the best characterizations I’ve seen on TV.

Matt N

CF Legend
Does anyone here like Friday Night Dinner? If you do, then good news; the new season begins this month! Here's a promo that Channel 4 put out recently:
I can't wait! The last season was brilliant, and I think this one looks the same from the trailer!

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Does anyone here like Friday Night Dinner? If you do, then good news; the new season begins this month! Here's a promo that Channel 4 put out recently:
I can't wait! The last season was brilliant, and I think this one looks the same from the trailer!
It has some quotes that have become memes, but as a show I don’t really like it. But now that I’ve committed to it I’ll watch this season but im not excited for it.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Oh that's just wonderful news! I'd figured that the
where Wilson died
had a kind of finality to it that meant we weren't getting any more.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ 1/2 way thru Altered Carbon ; I think its great stuff - reviews haven't been great, but I like it! - (have read the books a few years ago though so maybe I'm biased.)
OK, just finished S2 of this. I'd re-watched S1 a few weeks ago to get me back in the spirit of the thing and enjoyed S1 a lot more the second time around.

S2, was not good though. :(

Was still visually very pretty in places but seemed to have been done on perhaps a less of a budget than the first one. Some of the fight scenes were quite good (if a bit fight-scene for the sake of a fight-scene). Story was pretty poor though, and the main guy v2 was dull as dishwater while the most annoying character of S1 (the main rebel woman) was a key role in S2 and was no less annoying. The AI-Poe was quite annoying in S2 whereas he was fine in S1.

Ugh, shame all round really.