What's new

The Paste Game

A

Anonymous

4katjx2.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
Spies- A Summary of the Book

Chapter One- The smell is first found, and many of the myteries are first mentioned to the reader, but not made particulaly important:
Elderly Stephen gets a whiff of the scent that will be eventually revealed as Privet. This starts to jog his memory, and he's "a child again".
He tries to trace the smell as it "must come from one of the gardens". He identifies it has a "sexual urgency"- the first time that sex is bought in, a prominent theme of the text.
He argues with himself if he should follow the smell.
He asks his daughter what it is. She identifies it as "liguster". He goes to a dictionary and finds out its not in English, but doesn't reveal what the English is. He tells the reader that he is a translator.
He has the starting fragments of memories about the time. Laughter and Keith's mother, turning into her "sitting in the dust" and "weeping".
Wonders if Mrs Hayward is still alive.
First mentions "those words spoken by my friend Keith".
Deceides he will go to London for a few days as tells children.

Chapter Two- A recolaction of how life was on the Close:
He arrives in the close, "everything has changed". First utterance of repeated line "everything is as it was, and everything has changed".
Describes the Close as it is now "old quiet, sweet, dull ordinariness".
Remembers the Close as it was when he lived there; and the houses of he and Keith. "It was just a number when I lived in it".
Young Stephen is viewed as he leaves his house and heads for Keith's. "The awkward boy", "stick-out ears and the too-short grey flannel school shirt".
The residents of the street are described "the Berrill girls' father is away in the army, and everyone says they're running wild".
He moves onto the Haywards' house, where "past has been preserved, in all its perfection".
He watches younger Stephen as he knocks and then enters the house.
The inside of Keith's house is described as "polished oak hall stand", "dark oak panelling", "china plates", "grandmother clock". All images of perfection and quite upper-class.
Keith is described. The "middle" of the image of their house. He comments on how different they are socially. "Socially colour-coded for ease of refernce". "My incomprehensible good fortune in being Keith's friend". "He was the officer corps... I was the Officer Ranks- and grateful to be so". "He was the leader and I was the led".
Ponders over what the children will do.
Mrs Hayward is first introduced. "She didn't speak to him personally". Quite a detached figure at this point. She spent a lot of time "resting". Shows she's got a lot of time to spare- good life.
Keith's father is introduced. Mentioned he doesn't work, so some un-seen source of wealth must exist.
Garage is described.
Whistling is first mentioned to the reaser as "effortless" and "complex". He mention "old bean" and the smile that is eventually adopted by Keith.
Bayonet is first mentioned as killing five Germans. Source of fear in Keith's father.
Auntie Dee is introduced and described as an "ornament of the Hayward family". Shows that they are to be idolised and revered.
He questions if Stephen did indeed "love his own family". His family is described as providing a juxtaposition against which Keith's family looks better.
Stephen's father is introduced as a "contrast" to Stephen's. He is "scarcely noticeable", "too dull to describe" and he "didn't whistle".
Describes how "wonderful" it was to be invited to tea at Keith's.
Goes back to describing the modern Close. Describes how the hideout is in the bush outside the bombed property. He finds the privet and reveals the name to the reader.
Describes how Keith reveals his mother is a German Spy.

Chapter Three- The investigation starts:
Stephen ponders the effects of Keith's proclomation. "How do I react to the news?", "I'm surprised", "but not as surprised as I should be". He ponders how they are going to act on it "hiding and watching", "sending and receiving messages". "It even begins to make sense of a number of things".
They drop other projects, and start to follow her. "Watch over the banisters as she goes bettween sitting room and kitchen". Stay mainly in house.
Keith gets out the logbook, and "crosses out BIRDS and writes LOGBOOK- SECRIT". Stephen has "private reservations" about the spelling, but remains quiet. They begin to use it to record their observations.
Split for lunch and anticipates that afternoon's activities- going through Mrs Hayward's belongings and letters.
Mrs Hayward goes to sleep and the boys creep down. An atmosphere of tension is created, "clock ticks".
Stephen looks at the photographs while he waits, and comments on the family and Mrs Hayward.
They find markings in the paper. "Code". There are "various letters and digits". They find the prescence of "a tiny x", which goes with her periods, though this isn't revealed. Also, "!"s are seen, represent sex, but this isn't told.
Stephen tries to protect her secrets "but what if it's something private".
Mrs Hayward catches them, and they are taken outside to play.
They go to the look-out, and the past activities they've done in there are listed.
Keith takes out the bayonet, and makes Stephen swear not to let out their secrets. They deceide on courses taken "if its night" etc. when they are following Mrs Hayward.

HAHAHA, English revision UGHHHH

Oooo... new C&P

"MOD EDIT DO NOT USE FOUL LANGUAGE ON OUR FORUMS GO BACK AND USE IT ON YOUR OWN."

oooOOOooo, what a rude thing to say, I had to tell someone on MSN about it.

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
1. something that has a real existence; thing: corporeal entities.
2. being or existence, esp. when considered as distinct, independent, or self-contained: He conceived of society as composed of particular entities requiring special treatment.
3. essential nature: The entity of justice is universality.

Ben

CF Legend
In the context of the entire Revolution, Father Gapon's importance was fairly miniscule, but he did have a huge effect on one of the main causes of the Revolution- Bloody Sunday. He wished to lead workers in protest, despite accusations that he was an Okhrana double-agent, and led a march on the Winter Palace in an attempt to call on the Tsar to help the workers in their terrible working conditions. This was then ruined when the crowd was fired on by troops and many were killed. The events of Bloody Sunday led to the tarnishing of Nicholas' image, with him being called "Bloody Nicholas". This distrust with the Tsar was to become one of the major reasons for the Revolution. It also led to an outbreak of disorder throughout the country, with strikes occurring in all major towns and cities. However, these were not the only reasons for the Revolution, and Gapon had no power over the other causes, such as a poor political system and the humiliating defeats in the War at the hands of the Japanese, and Gapon was not directly involved with the events of the Revolution outside Bloody Sunday. As such, his influence on the events leading to Revolution was significant, but ultimately his power over the Revolution as a whole was limited. Gapon was a strong-willed man, but he was a flawed leader and was generally naive about the politics needed to carry out the actions that he wanted. For example, the march of Bloody Sunday was intended by Gapon to be a peaceful protest, but as he ignored military calls to stop the protest, it is clear that he did not consider the consequences of the march fully. He was therefore only of importance to Bloody Sunday, and no other causes or the Revolution itself.

LOL. I is ultimate cool.