What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I lost so many days to Transport Tycoon it's unreal. Such an addictive game, more so than RCT as it's the game itself which is addictive - RCT it's the appeal of the building that is addictive (I hope that makes sense).

I keep meaning to pick up Civ III, but I know I'll be forever lost if I do, but it's so cheap...

Pierre

Strata Poster
Entering PS Plus in April:
• 3rd April: Okami HD (PS3)
• 3rd April: Lord of the Rings: War in the North (PS3)
• 3rd April: The Cave (PS3)
• 10th April: Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (Vita)
• 24th April: Thomas Was Alone (PS3/Vita)

"meh"

I know Okami is highly regarded but not my kind of game.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I was excited about that until I saw the pricepoint of $14.99... which inwith SCEE's conversion charts probably comes in at around £14.99.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Been playing Castlevania Lord of Shadow Mirror of Fate on 3DS...

Tis good really, lovely music, decent challenge at times...

Bit to tide over before Luigi's Mansion 2 <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
Bit to tide over before Luigi's Mansion 2 <3

It's on pre-order, here's hoping for an early present on Wednesday :)

I was going to get it from Game, but the I can't log into my Game account (they've screwed it up somehow, definitely not me :lol: ) and their support doesn't operate out of 9-5 week hours, so I've gone elsewhere for it, their loss.

Apparently it's not very good, but MMF is almost wetting himself with excitement about it and repetitive gameplay is something he lives for :)

I made the mistake of picking up Civ IV off Steam, that's my life gone... :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend
Played through Bioshock Infinite, It's actually really good. It's got a lot more effort put into it than most FPS's these days and tackles some stuff that Little Timmy "call-the-entire-other-team-a-faggot-and-other-racial-slurs-cause-he-lost-his-streak" Doe just wouldn't get.

Still, true to Bioshock fashion, Death is meaningless and there's no penalty for it so there's no punishment for screwing up again, which I find to be stupid.

Ben

CF Legend
kimahri said:
Played through Bioshock Infinite, It's actually really good. It's got a lot more effort put into it than most FPS's these days and tackles some stuff that Little Timmy "call-the-entire-other-team-a-faggot-and-other-racial-slurs-cause-he-lost-his-streak" Doe just wouldn't get.

Still, true to Bioshock fashion, Death is meaningless and there's no penalty for it so there's no punishment for screwing up again, which I find to be stupid.

I haven't finished yet so SHUSH, but, I have to disagree about the no penalty for death thing.

There isn't a penalty for death in any game now, you just respawn. In the other two, you die and literally NOTHING happens, so you'd die every two minutes, but, in this one, it's more akin to other shooters in that you die, and it sucks, but you do re-spawn. Whereas in the others you just die for a way of getting a bit of health and... whatever salts were called.

I loooove it so far, so good <3 Murder of Crows is the most fabulous thing ever <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So the new XBox is due to be revealed in three weeks. Rumour mill is full of negatives like the "always on" thing, but... I love this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGMv9RnJIA[/youtube]

The Kinect takes a photo of your room and the uses a projector to expand the visible area you play on. Watch the video, it explains things so much more than I can. I love the way it can make your room appear to shake and ripple as you get shot and stuff. Such a cool idea and it'll be a real boon for MS if they can get it integrated and running when the new XBox hits the floor next year.

Me? I'm still waiting for Sony to support the AMBX lights I bought years ago, which were "pending Sony approval" in 2008 or something stupid. No doubt with this, they'll suddenly rush it through in the same way the did with Move - and produce a half arsed version - when Nintendo showed them the interest in technology they already had access to :roll: Stupid Sony.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I still use them, they're kind of fab. If I had a bachelor pad, I'd have an extras set for lots of lighting effects for parties :)

Unfortunately, I have a family and a family house, so they're cramped in the corner of the bedroom :lol:

Did anyone else see this, it's really excellent:
There's a new game called "Game Developer Tycoon". It's a simple game where you have to research and develop games, then sell them - growing from a garage company and sole-coder to a massive multinational like EA (eugh).

The coders deliberately released a version onto torrent sites before they officially released the game. The code on the torrents has a special part to it, when your company gets a hit, then the game is pirated and you don't make any money from it. So if you have downloaded an illegal version of the game, you can't beat it because of people downloading your games illegally. It's genius, I love it.

Apparently after release, out of about 4,000 people playing the game, over 3,000 were playing the illegal version. There are even lots of really upset people going "why are my games always pirated and I can't make any money?"

The developers are spot on though. One of the main "supports" for pirating games is "games are expensive and produced by huge multi-nationals just churning out the same old turds". This is produced by a two man outfit and is about six quid - plus there's a demo version. There's absolutely no justification in somebody downloading an illegal version of it.

Here's a news item about it:
http://www.itproportal.com/2013/05/01/g ... medicine-/

I downloaded the demo and it's good fun. It's very simple stuff, like Civilisation only without the maps :lol: It's all about research and stuff, but it's very clever and damn addictive (I played through the demo twice, about an hour and a half each time - I'll be buying it today). Well worth a poorly cephalopod

Demo and purchase here:
http://www.greenheartgames.com/

kimahri

CF Legend
I got P4 Arena!

964356_10151544178114039_1129642087_o.jpg
it comes on vinyl!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Lol at improving the **** drop shot on Call of Duty! Take the worst aspect of the game and improve it? Good call. Just because you hire a movie director to work on the campaign, doesn't make it better.

Forza 5 looks awesome, Quantum Break caught my attention, and the improved engine for sports games (which will be nothing I'm sure) are the big positives. Also Halo TV series (I'm assuming HBO the way they said it with tying into Game of Thrones) has huge promise.

I like the kinect upgrades and sports features, but until there are several games (and a price reveal) I'm not running to get it. Black Friday will be the day to get it!

Homer

Hyper Poster
Why do they call it the Xbox One? Because you'll turn one degree and walk away from it.

I honestly don't have any hype or hope for the system. Charging users for used games, the 8 new IP's they hinted at are probably going to be Kinect gimmicks, and are people honestly going to buy a system just to watch a Halo TV series? The Call of Duty demo didn't really wow me and the Forza trailer was just prerendered, not-gameplay dreck.

I just want games.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Things the MS presentation taught me last night:

- Americans would rather talk at their XBox than press button
- American XBox owners like sports
- American XBox owners like to watch TV
- American XBox owners would rather watch sports or TV than play games on their XBox

That's all fine, and the US is Microsoft's core audience and main area of success. However, Europe has always leaned towards Sony and Japan won't touch the XBox brand with a barge pole. How on earth did that presentation help them break new markets or actually do anything other than say "you can now have Windows on your TV to do exactly what you were doing before with your TV and smart phone"?

I'm desperate for the E3 Keynote speech to see some games to actually get me interested. I want to know who to go with and neither Sony nor MS have come up with any compelling reasons so far - but at least I know I'll have games to play on the PS4 and that the games are the most important bit of it.

I think the new Kinect device is stunning by the way. The technology is incredible, but I still don't want one. How much is that going to up the cost of the unit? Where the hell am I going to put one? I can understand making it integrated as the package, but it's the same with Sony's **** move add on to the PS4 - it's extraneous to what you actually need and will only push the price up. It's neat, and good tech, but ultimately adds little other than moving a few thumb presses to voice or gesture control.

Such a disappointing presentation, showing so little of what it really has to offer, which makes me wonder if they don't really have anything. I was after innovation, not evolution. Games, not passive media.

Both machines are pretty much the same specification, both are a "refresh" - so it has to come down to launch titles and price to decide between them - unless you love sports and TV I guess ;)

marc

CF Legend
The launch last night has not had good reviews. It's more of a tidy up of the current Xbox package. Software better integrated rather than the add ins they have now.

The ps4 is new, a new direction for them.

So it's a case of going with the tried and trusted developed system or a new one that could be buggy at 1st.

For me the Xbox does nothing extra that I would use.

I don't need to switch between games and a tv, I have a remote for that :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I understand what they're saying. They want to simplify things as much as possible - to reduce how many remotes you have and how you deal with "everything". As a techy spod though, my worry is always "how does that work?"

To be able to get the X-Bone to change TV channels, or to search the guides - it's got to interact somehow with your TV services.

The box has a HDMI in as well as out. So I suspect that you plug in your TV decoder (satellite, cable or over-the-air) and then the X-Bone probably uses CEC over HDMI to allow for the control. That will require a CEC compatible TV decoder to start with - I don't have one, and the Virgin Tivo and Sky+ boxes don't allow for that amount of control - so it won't work over here using that standard. I don't know how available those kinds of devices are in the US? CEC IS on most HDMI devices by the way, but it's limited - there's different levels of it and the X-Bone will need something new.

Or, the other alternative is that the X-Bone has a decoder built in, which means you'll have to make deals through your TV provider (in the UK, Sky or Virgin) to give you access to your accounts. All providers will also have to somehow make their programs X-Bone compatible - so I think it's the latter.

What it means is... It's complicated :lol: For a long time, people will have to completely miss out on the major thing they showed at the presentation last night - until the kit is replaced with compatible equipment - which will only become available if MS can shift X-Bones.

Then you use your smartphone/tablet as a remote to bring up extra information on the TV. If I'm looknig at my phone to open Smartglass and find the details on my X-Bone, I may as well just have an ESPN or whatever app as a favourite on the device and look at that.

And all that just so you don't have to change channels on your TV? Microsoft's idea of "simpler" isn't other people's :lol: