What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It was gorgeous and the people on it were mature (hello Sony ;) )

It was just bland to actually play. That's just me though. I'm not a big fps fab anyway and Halo/Destiny are the epitome of what I find boring. I can't really explain it. It's the slippery controls, the underwhelming weapons, the prolonged attrition firefights and just "something" that doesn't work for me.

I'm never going to deny the popularity and say people who love it are wrong (other than flippantly) - I'm very aware that I'm unusual in this :)

If you loved Halo, it will make you wet and keep you moist for years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pierre

Strata Poster
I've never seen a game other than Call of Duty be so aggressively promoted everywhere, its unreal how much they've put into it really.

Anyway, I'll probably end up with it too, long overdue bonus is coming in next Friday so I'll be finally getting a PS4 - has anyone used Gamestop before? PS4 + Watch Dog's is currently £329...

Saw an advert for Xbox One claiming all the blockbuster titles this year are on Xbox... it showed four, two of them were cross-platform, one was Halo (a brand Microsoft are now dragging across three generations :/ ) and one was Sunset Overdrive. Not really selling it.

I also need some cheapish PSN games to download to keep the other half happy, hopefully there'll be something in the PS+ offering :lol:

nealbie

CF Legend
I massively dislike shooty games too (and that includes Halo), there's just something about Destiny that has pushed all my buttons

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
I've never seen a game other than Call of Duty be so aggressively promoted everywhere, its unreal how much they've put into it really.

It's allegedly cost about $500 million to make and promote - so yeah, they need a success. They claim that pre-orders should bring in about $900 million though, so they're in profit :)

Pierre said:
Anyway, I'll probably end up with it too, long overdue bonus is coming in next Friday so I'll be finally getting a PS4 - has anyone used Gamestop before? PS4 + Watch Dog's is currently £329...

I have once or twice - they're okay. You WILL need an extra controller - hunt around and you may be able to pick one up for £50. You'll also need to get into the habit of keeping the console on standby with at least one controller plugged in when you're not using it :roll:

There's a "light bar brightness" setting though in power settings tot urn it down which will give you longer on the charge. Also get some thumbstick covers - the Dualshock 4 ones DO degrade - suddenly.

Pierre said:
Saw an advert for Xbox One claiming all the blockbuster titles this year are on Xbox... it showed four, two of them were cross-platform, one was Halo (a brand Microsoft are now dragging across three generations :/ ) and one was Sunset Overdrive. Not really selling it.

Yeah, I wasn't convinced. The bold "Not Actual Gameplay Footage" disclaimer doesn't help either. It makes it look like a Farmville advert or something and you expect a cut down mobile version of the game when you buy it :lol:

Still at least they ARE advertising. I don't think I've seen a PS4 advert since Marvel: Agents of Shield stopped :D

Pierre said:
I also need some cheapish PSN games to download to keep the other half happy, hopefully there'll be something in the PS+ offering :lol:

Sportsfriends is really good for local two player gaming. There's a really good fun Pole Vault/Tetherball/Vollyball type of game that's ridiculous fun to play. There's also a "group jousting" game when the idea is to make another person (stood up with you) shake their controller too much. It just ends up with you trying to knock their hand, but you lose because you've been too violent doing it. Probably not a game for NFL players to be fair - but great fun otherwise :)

Playstation All Stars is well worth getting on the PS3/Vita this month too. Much under-rated. Took me a while to enjoy because I was expecting Super Smash Brothers - but it's much more tactical than that.

nealbie said:
I massively dislike shooty games too (and that includes Halo), there's just something about Destiny that has pushed all my buttons

I quite like some shooty games and can tolerate others if there's a decent enough plot to keep me going. I loved Unreal Tournament and the two Half Life games. Played Bulletstorm and Metro through to the end (plus others I'm sure).

They're all very "solid" though. They just work for me. I tried Boarderlands and Fallout and got nothing from them either. It's a very personal thing and Halo/2/3/4/OTSR (or whatever it was called)/Destiny all play in a way that unpushes my buttons - no idea why :)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm probably late to the party on this one but I'm looking forward to Advanced Warfare. I have never gone to a midnight launch for a CoD Game but with this I might well do just that.

I am also looking forward to the new FIFA. Usually I don't give fifa games the time of day but it'll have Cambridge United and they need to win the champions league somehow ;)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Just rented Destiny until I can buy it. I'm on 360, anybody wanting to play shoot me a message on live...Thr33 St00ges is the name.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Some major news came out overnight, apparently Microsoft are closing in on a deal to buy Mojang, the creators of Minecraft.

This is a big move by Microsoft, a lot of people not happy about it. And potentially they could hit that big button on YouTube to get a cut of all the Minecraft videos. What are your thoughts about it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mushroom said:
Some major news came out overnight, apparently Microsoft are closing in on a deal to buy Mojang, the creators of Minecraft.

This is a big move by Microsoft, a lot of people not happy about it. And potentially they could hit that big button on YouTube to get a cut of all the Minecraft videos. What are your thoughts about it?

That'll kill that one then. Typical Microsoft, see something big and popular they don't really understand, buy it when it's reached mass popularity and then ruin it because they never understood what made it popular.

See also Lionhead, Mechwarrior, Nokia, LinkExchange, Rare and Skype

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
Is the battery life on Dualshock 4 really that poor?

It's not "Wii U Poor", you can actually have a decent gaming session on the thing without needing to plug it in (not that I've often managed more than an hour on the Wii U without getting bored ;) :p ).

What you'll find is that you'll have a lengthy session, forget to charge it and then come to play in a week and there's no charge. If you're used to the DS3 where you'll play for three days without charge and come back a month later and carry on - you're in for a shock.

Dimming and turnnig off automatically after an hour helps.

Pierre said:
Just found this..

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playsta ... ne-1996479

I don't get paid until 19th September though haha :(

It's okay, they'll all be gone by now anyway :p

Pierre said:
Apparently launch DS4's came with an 800mAh battery while the newer ones come with 1000mAh...

I didn't know that... I can't see it making much difference to be honest. An extra 20% still isn't two solid gaming sessions. If it was Microsoft, they'd be offering a DS4 without lightbar to cover up their shortcomings - but Sony are too bullish ;)

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ Poor maths Mr. furie. An extra 25% ;)

A lot of the comments are saying they're still stickered £49.99 in store but scan through at £37.99 so might be some left in store if people don't realise.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You always lose about 5% due to heat ;) :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Second mission on Venus, absolutely love it so far. My friend thought we were close to done, I laughed at him. Then I looked up how long the campaign is, and it is about 16 hours, so we still have like, 12 left.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I pre-ordered Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros for 3DS t'other day...

Lot more hyped for Smash Bros, though I think I might well enjoy the odd run through Hyrule Warriors as a stress relief method...

Oh, and Watch Dogs has finally got an announce date for the Wii U, meaning all 5 owners that didn't already get it on another console can have it for Christmas :lol:

Tbh, that gives me Smash Bros, Bayonetta and Watch Dogs for Christmas, which isn't as bad as it could've been (i.e. nothing like most of the year)...

You may now return to your Destiny chat...

Pierre

Strata Poster
tomahawk if you download Destiny direct off XBL you can upgrade to the XBox One version free. I know direct downloads form XBL/PSN are a bit more but might be worth it for the free upgrade?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
I pre-ordered Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros for 3DS t'other day...

Lot more hyped for Smash Bros, though I think I might well enjoy the odd run through Hyrule Warriors as a stress relief method...

I'll be tempted to get SB on the Wii U, but after playing Playstation Allstars on the Vita, the 3DS version doesn't appeal. The small screen isn't made for such fast and busy action. You constantly lose where you are in the frenzy.

Hyrule Warriors doesn't appeal due to the fact the Dynasty Warriors (et al) are really dull. Even duller than Destiny ;)

Nemesis Inferno said:
Tbh, that gives me Smash Bros, Bayonetta and Watch Dogs for Christmas, which isn't as bad as it could've been (i.e. nothing like most of the year)...

Hence why I have multiple consoles (and too many games and not enough time :lol: ). Bayonetta 2 I'd be tempted with if I hadn't played the original. I loved the style and complete over the topness of it all, but again, it was pretty dull. Then again, I'm still button mashing my way through Diablo III which is also really tediously dull - but at least it's never really challenging (apart from having to deal with the awful scripting) :lol: