What's new

The Games we play...

marc

CF Legend
nealbie said:
Just miss out a game, it'll kill the franchise and Sony will get it back on the cheap. Even cross platform it sold a lot more on PS3 than it did on 360 the last few titles.

Seems to be that Microsoft waved a massive exclusivity packet at Square Enix and when they went to Sony to match it Sony told them to **** off.

Yeah just been reading the backlash on this and people are just not going to bother with the game.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
To be fair - it's all about what exclusives are important to you. If Tomb Raider is more important to you than, say, Uncharted 4 - then maybe the XBone is the choice for you. It's worth remembering that TR probably won't be out for 12 months, so what games will you miss on one platform in that time? Is there anything in the current library to drive you one way or the other?

Finally, it's always worth considering getting one now, then trading it in if it doesn't work out for you and you're still tempted by a later released title.

I think Microsoft have woken up to the fact that at every show, Sony demonstrate a massive breadth of different games, but MS have lots of multi-platform or similar action game types. Their diversity on the XBone isn't apparent - and when the industry has settled like it has with no real difference in hardware between platforms - it's games that are vital.

I'm not fanboying here BTW. A lot of the games Sony show are indie games that have already appeared on the PC, or are cross platform somewhere. They're just very clever in showing off a lot of different flavours - so it looks like there's a larger number of games available on the PS4.

Also worth noting that a lot of the indie games Sony pushed (and are pushing) are also now becoming available for the XBone. MS are slow about demonstrating this for some reason. I don't know if they're scared of driving off "their core", or just don't really understand why a £5 game produced by two guys for £60K is more popular than a £50 game that cost £300 million to make - so they ignore them in the hope things will make sense again.

As for Tomb Raider? It looks like an odd decision for Crystal Dynamics. When you consider that the last game only made a profit through sales on the PS4 and that Sony sales of the game were more than double MS', it doesn't on the surface look like a clever move.

However, if MS have offered to pay for the development of the title on one of their two platforms - then that's a huge chunk of risk CD don't need to shoulder. Square Enix were vocally disappointed with sales of the game - so they will have been stopping support for the next title, or cutting back budgets. So CD can use MS to get out a game that otherwise may have been binned - or consigned to "give it to some lesser studio to chuck out any old crap on your last engine".

There's a chance this was Crystal Dynamics only opportunity to make the game.

From the MS point of view; it gives them another exclusive, it gives them a game that sold very well to Sony owners and it's a game they can put up against Uncharted 4.

I think what they're missing is that it's not a brand that will have people buying their console for. TR sold okay, but it wasn't a massive hit. People with Sony consoles will almost across the board (with me and you as exceptions Marc) choose Uncharted over TR. TR was bought on the PS3 because people loved Uncharted and it arrived at the right time after the last Uncharted game (about the same space of time the next one would have arrived). Uncharted didn't sell Vitas though and I'll bet if TR had come out at the same time as Uncharted 3, it wouldn't have sold as well on Sony. So the chances of people making the move and buying hardware for the game are slim.

So I can understand it, but I don't think it's a good decision by MS.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Some people think it will still make the eventual leap onto PS4, so just sit back and wait before doing anything expensive.

In other news, a new Silent Hill game has been announced. With wonderful Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro behind it, my hopes are already rising for it. Plus they got Norman Reedus (Walking Dead I believe) as the main character.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Intricks said:
Some people think it will still make the eventual leap onto PS4, so just sit back and wait before doing anything expensive.

If MS are doing any financial backing of development, then it won't - ever.

Intricks said:
In other news, a new Silent Hill game has been announced. With wonderful Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro behind it, my hopes are already rising for it. Plus they got Norman Reedus (Walking Dead I believe) as the main character.

Is it confirmed now or still just rumour/hype/bollocks?

Intricks

Strata Poster
Confirmed with trailer. Let me snag the link.

Clicky-poo

Excuse the lady talking though. The video was nabbed from a livestream of its announcement.

Edit: They also said that the demo put onto the PS Store named P.T. was actually for this.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
parkitectlogo_straightfull.png

af50ebabf239ae751442193ad21fee16_large.png

So a small 3 person team is making a refreshed RCT-like sim game. It's on kickstarter as of an hour ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... /parkitect

f2799612e4236517ded2e790cb487792_large.gif

So uh, yeah. Get on this, everyone :D

Smithy

Strata Poster
I bought Pokemon White to be my holiday game end of September and I've already got 17 hours playing on it lul.

Also got FF7 Crisis Core for PSP to give a go, I struggle to get into any FF game that isn't 7 but hoping the story links with 7 help me stick with it.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ I actually found The Last of Us one of the most boring and overrated games of 2013, but I'm glad you enjoyed :) .

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Debating on getting Destiny for Xbone or 360. If I get for 360, I know I'll get for One when I get that, but do I really want two of the same game? Half my friends have already made the upgrade, while other half are debating/waiting for black Friday deals. The game looks absolutely fantastic, just trying to decide if I can wait or not.

nealbie

CF Legend
If your mates who have got an xBone are going to also get Destiny, it's worthwhile you getting one too to play it.

Based on the Beta it's a magnificent game (within its genre) but without multiplayer between mates it's a long boring slog bordering on game breaking.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Half of them are getting it for 360, so it's basically who do I want to play with more.

I do agree, when I played the beta alone compared to friends, it was a world of a difference. Definitely a multiplayer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
Yup.

Could always get a PS4 and play with me (and furie if he buys it) :p

I'm not getting it. It was really dull and played like Halo, which was really dull.

It was dull.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's okay. I'm aware of the fact I'm in the righteous minority :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I can see how people don't like it really, I mean, I hate Call of Duty and people freak out when I say that. Sorry, don't like hearing 12 years say I **** your mom.

Halo they aren't 12 yet, so they don't have that vocabulary. They say I peed on your mom.