What's new

The Games we play...

nealbie

CF Legend
Still in love with F1 (and now Pokémon)! How on earth am I going to find the time to write my essay on the British Empire and slave trade?

With the noted exception obviously that all of my Pokémon are my slaves! :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Completed Kingdom Hearts so now I have nothing to play lol.

Still no news on a patch for F1, going to give them a week.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Pokémon X and Y are out, and I feel I'm kinda obliged to share my thoughts on them. Or, well, I've only played Y yet, and I'm barely halfway through it. I like to take things slowly. But as you might expect from a Pokémon game, the two versions aren't really that different. It's one game for the price of two, I'm aware of that, but also fully accept it.

Starting with a slight call back, one of the things I enjoyed the most about Pokémon Black and White 2 (BW2), was the level of detail in all the new locations. Black and White 1 (BW1) were both quite nice to look at, but the BW2 exclusive locations were pure eye candy. Textures, objects, and the general look of things, were neatly put together to create really atmospheric locations (whereas the earlier installments were a little to sterile in my eyes). I feared that the same would be the case in XY, bland locations in one game to make the inevitable third version look better.
Luckily, this is not the case. With the possible exception of Pokémon Colosseum or XD for the GameCube, Pokémon has never looked better. It's one of the first things that strike you when you start the game, the graphics team have really taken their time with the visuals. Every location is beautifully detailed, varied and really atmospheric. Several places has benches or viewpoints put in just so you can enjoy the scenery. Stuff is also in 3D now, though movement is still grid-based. Then again, you can walk diagonally in this game, and even move independently of the grid once you get your set of roller skates. You also get the traditional bicycle later on, but personally I prefer the skates. Zipping around on them is so much fun. I almost never use Fly (the move providing instant transportation between anywhere outdoors and any city you've previously visited) in this game, because exploring the Kalos region on foot is so much fun. Exploration is also a little more time-consuming this time around, as the region is BIG. The central city and regional capital, for instance, is larger than all the cities in any of the earlier games put together. I spent three hours exploring it, and still haven't been anywhere.

On to the new Pokémon, they are bound to stir some controversy. Personally, I love most of the new designs. In earlier generations, there have been signs of "GameFreak running out of ideas", and just cloning old designs to fill their quota of monsters for the game. There has also been quite a predictable pattern in the early game Pokémon, among the first monsters you meet, there has always been a Normal type rodent with one evolution, a Normal/Flying type bird that may evolve once or twice, and a Bug Pokémon that evolves quickly (usually going caterpillar -> pupa -> butterfly). This time, however, most such conventions are gone. All the unnecessary and formulaic designs have been skipped, it seems, as only 70 entirely new Pokémon have been added in this generation (and only 3 of them are legendary, a refreshing low considering the number has exceeded 15 the past two generations).
The motto seems to be "if we've done it before, we won't do it again this time". Only the traditional butterfly remains, but GameFreak have added a really original twist to it this time: The butterfly has different patterns on its wings depending on the real-world region in which it was caught. This has made the Internet buzz with trade requests from eager collectors. Norway alone has four different patterns, my game is "registered" for Akershus, so I got the Continental pattern. A friend of mine from Trondheim got the Polar pattern. This move really encourages international trade, and some of the designs are quite rare (the Ocean pattern, for instance, seems to be exclusive to Hawaii).
I'd say the designs of this generation's new Pokémon might be a little hit-or-miss, but they definitely can't be called unoriginal. From the lock-like fairy with an affection for keys, to the majestic Fire lion or the sword-and-sheath Ghost, the new Pokémon neither look nor feel like anything that has been done before. The variety of available Pokémon is also stunning, there are plenty of Pokémon to choose from, almost 50 before you even reach the second gym. In total, there are approximately six hundred Pokémon between the games, though you'll need a few friends to obtain them all.

For the competitive battlers, GameFreak has also added lots of goodies. They have made efforts to balance the dominance of Dragon types, by adding a new type (Fairy) that never tries to hide it's there to stop Dragons, Fight and Dark types (which have been really prevalent in the last generation), while giving some love to Poison, Steel and Fire (which weren't really that good earlier). There is also a bunch of technical stuff that I won't go into too much detail about, it can generally be summed up as "nerfing offensive play styles while encouraging variety". For veterans of the series, there are also quite a few in-jokes abound. For instance, Youngster Joey is back, though he seems to have left his Rattata this time. Somebody also had the sense not to equip him with a mobile phone.

Another much-awaited feature has been added to the game: You can now customize your player character, change his/her clothes, hairstyle and even skin colour(!?). There are almost as many options to choose from as in The Sims. That is, The Sims. The first game in the series.

However, all isn't praise and glory everywhere. Even an avid Pokémon fan such as myself has to admit, the games do have a few flaws. Graphics-wise, Pokémon X and Y demand a lot from the 3DS, which can lead to severe FPS drops in battle when the 3D effect is on. This is probably why the overworld scenes are also in 2D, and battles with more than two Pokémon also has the 3D option disabled.

The story is no better than it has been before. You have just moved to a new region, the resident Pokémon Professor wants you to go on an adventure, your mother is perfectly fine with this, and your father is nowhere to be seen. On your journey you have to battle eight Gym Leaders, you fight a criminal organization bent on taking over/destroying the world, and you end up challenging the Elite Four to become a Pokémon Champion. Sounds familiar? Yep, it's the same plot the games have had for seventeen years now. On the other hand, who honestly buy a Pokémon game for the plot? Gameplay has always been the core and number one selling point of the franchise.

Then there's the... *sigh*... Mega Evolutions. For some reason, GameFreak thought it a good idea to revitalize some older Pokémon, and added items to the game allowing them to temporarily "evolve" one stage further - boosting their power to stupidly high levels. If you thought overlevelling a Pokémon and use it to bulldoze through the game was easy before... well, once you get a Mega on your hands, it's really just to pick a move and watch the foe go down. The designs of the Mega Evolutions is also... well, let me just post a link to the full catalogue, so those interested can go see how GameFreak botched up the designs of your previous favourites. At least Mega Evolution isn't a permanent change to the Pokémon, only a temporary state that has to be activated for one battle only. Note the two Charizard and the two Mewtwo: the designers really want the most popular Pokémon to also be among the most powerful (and yes, I didn't write "Charizards" or "Mewtwos" on purpose - the plural of Pokémon is Pokémon, the same goes for all the species names).

The way you obtain Experience points, which is required to level up Pokémon, has also been changed. Early in the game, you obtain an item that spreads the experience gained by a Pokémon in battle evenly across the team. Or rather, it gives every Pokémon on your team a significant amount of experience any time any of your Pokémon defeat an opponent. You'll end up being stupidly overlevelled compared to in-game opponents after a while, but luckily, the item can be turned off. If it is deactivated, the levels of the opponents will match the levels of your Pokémon quite neatly if you march through the game without excessive grinding, and the gyms can actually be quite hard to beat - that is, if you refrain from using Mega Evolutions as well.

All in all, though, I'd say Pokémon X and Y are the best Pokémon games to date. The games look beautiful, training your favourite Pokémon is as fun as ever, you have way more options when it comes to team building than you have ever had before, and there is simply so much to do. They/it is a "very Pokémon" game, with all that implies. If you disliked Pokémon before, XY probably won't make you change your mind. If you liked the other games, you'll probably like these even better. If your stance on the matter has been "meh", "meh" is still how it goes. The games aren't made to please everybody. They do, however, please me a lot.

(This review might be edited tomorrow. It's half past midnight now, and I can't be arsed to check for incomprehensibility at the moment).

Intricks

Strata Poster
I dont know, some of the mega-volutions are pretty nifty and I enjoy the look of them quite a bit.

Anyway....started up League of Legends. Anyone play on here?

marc

CF Legend
Codemasters finally bought out a patch for f1 and it's fantastic.

The wheel no longer loses feedback mid corner and the frame rate is sorted out.

Now just need to make my tyres last more than 4 laps lol. Even though people claim the whole thing is programmed and even if you drive at 5pmh the tyres still go off at the same lap as driving flat out.

nealbie

CF Legend
marc said:

Now just need to make my tyres last more than 4 laps lol. Even though people claim the whole thing is programmed and even if you drive at 5pmh the tyres still go off at the same lap as driving flat out.

Drive smoothly and they will last. The guys in my league are always astonished when I pit one less time than them! :lol:

marc

CF Legend
Am ok now worked out what I was doing wrong, sorted the rear springs etc and it's all good. Getting into it now that I can finally play it :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:

Is the lesson here not "don't buy on release, but wait a couple of months?" ;)

They sort out all the problems, you pay a considerable amount less and Codemasters have poor initial sales and learn not to release a turd, but to spend time actually making a game that works properly on release.

Grid 2, free next month on PS+ So I eventually get the game, patched up and I haven't had to pay for it (I'd have paid for PS+ anyway). So glad I returned the broken 360 version and never bothered picking it up again :lol:

Anyone here got a PS4 so far? Mixed feelings so far, mostly based on the fact it's got a turdio first party release line-up. Killzone and Knack both getting mediocre reviews.

To be fair, it's expected. Release titles either never take much advantage of the new hardware, or are compromised because there's a stunted development time frame with new hardware - so often it's either good looking and plays badly, or plays well but could have been on the last gen.

Worse, the PS4 and XB1 don't have the advantage of moving from SD to HD, so the actual "scale of image difference" is much lower - making it much harder to produce games which wow in terms of graphical fidelity.

Sony have failed with their first party releases, but third party are "the best of" versions cross-platform and the hardware is "best Playstation" so far. So it's not all bad. Let's just hope there's a decent trickle of stuff in the next couple of months.

Looking forward to the details coming in of the XB1 this week too. I think their first party/exclusive stuff will be similarly panned. I've heard very mixed things about DR3, Ryse is being generally berated and Forza 5 is missing huge chunks of tracks and cars on release (more available as DLC as the months go by). I think all three are suffering from being compromised. It's a bit sad, as I love Forza, but the game should still play wonderfully and I think is going to be the one stand out release title from them all (both PS4 and XB1).

I'm still unsure about my PS4 pre-order, but I'm going to go through with it. Quite excited about the new hardware, but disappointed by a lack of games. However, I was prepared for it. Was sold on (in order of priority):
a) Shiny new hardware
b) The fact I've become used to free games - so free PS+ titles
c) Replace my PS3 for media - which after an update has stopped streaming media properly
d) Shiny new hardware and new titles to play down the line

I'll take them in order :)

a) I love shiny new hardware. I've been saving for ages and have slightly more "gaming budget" due to the way PS+ has bolstered my gaming options over the last 12 months or so. The reason for the PS4 over the XB1 is multiple:
- $100 cheaper
- Free games on PS+
- No use for Kinect (if Kinect had been a separate purchase and the XB1 $100 cheaper, I may have been swayed)
- No games on the 360 I really ever want to play (beyond Forza and Alan Wake - the only two games I've ever put any real time into on the 360) - long term XB1 game selection looks dire for me.

b) The crux of everything for me at the moment. PS+ has radically changed things for me this last 12 months. My spend on gaming titles has dropped massively. I don't have a huge amount of time to spend gaming, so I tend to be very frugal in the titles I buy. PS+ pushes games to me that I may have otherwise (with more time/disposable income) have considered buying anyway.

So my £40 a year gives me enough games to fill up my entire gaming time schedule. Well, most months it does. There are still odd titles I really want and buy (though I usually now can wait a while to get them cheap) or the PS+ offering is poor and I have time to pick something up. Generally though, I just go with what they're pumping out.

It means that I'm even MORE frugal when it comes to buying games. The idea of paying £40+ for a game is completely abhorrent to me now :lol: £50 for a Wii game? You're having a laugh?

So the idea of a solid "indie game" and the PS4 launch driving game title was nectar to me when I put my pre-order down. Obviously Driveclub isn't coming now and it's a poor replacement.

Still, I'll have a game at least to enjoy (and you tend to put a little more into a release title because it's on new and shiny hardware), plus I'm getting Lego Marvel for £25 with the unit, so that's the kind of money I'm willing to spend on a game :)

I know that as the months go by waiting for decent titles, PS+ will still drip feed some games for me.

c) Bollocks. Dropped support for DNLA and MP3 on the PS4. Once I heard this, I tried to find a solution and did with the Wii U - got my media streaming to that instead. Made me consider investing in the Wii U rather than the PS4, but the cost of the PS4 would buy me three same old same old Mario titles I've been playing for years, so I sacked that off ;)

d) ;) In twelve month's time, I know the PS4 will have dozens of games I really want to play. Small titles that appeal to me. So it's an investment. I could have waited until then, but in that 12 months, I'll pick up 24 titles for the PS4 on PS+ which may contain several gems I love anyway. I'll still have the PS3 too.

I'm also oddly excited for GT6 too on the PS3. Despite GT5 being dull for the most part, I do really like the games. I loved the demo released a while ago - the game was actually almost fun - so there's a chance it may be worth picking up (cheap in a few weeks after release ;) ).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's rare a month goes by where I don't find a "complete game" which gets my attention for most of the month. I tend to download them, give them an hour and if they have me after that hour, I play them through. If I stop enjoying them, I stop playing. Sometimes I'll make it right through and really enjoy it for the most part (Hitman, Far cry 3, Mafia 2, Uncharted 3), sometimes I get bored after a few hours and can't be bothered putting time in (Battlefield 3, NFS: Most Wanted) and sometimes I don't even make it an hour in (Remember Me, Assassin's creed 3). Every so often, there'll be a game that I'm still playing a long time after (Xcom: Enemy Unknown or Just Cause 2).

It's great getting the chance to have an extended trial, or to just give games a go you might otherwise overlook. Even better when they chuck stuff at you like Arkham City, which I was on the verge of buying.

Unfortunately, it does mean I tend not to buy "just in case it appears on plus in a month or two". Though that's unfortunate for the publishers, not me :) It's why I haven't bought Injustice yet, it's bound to end up being a free PS4 game :)

Pierre

Strata Poster
I was half-tempted to buy the Wii U after Christmas - the premium bundle has finally come down by quite a bit and now includes Mario Bros and Luigi U @ £219.99

However, as you have already stated furie, I would only use my Wii U for Nintendo games - they're great at first party titles, but anything third-party is just horrendous. Everybody knows that, consumers and retailers, which is a problem because prices never really drop (Mario 64 DS is still around the £25.00 mark in shops and that was a launch title for the original DS back in 2004/05!!)

I want a PS4 but can't really afford one/justify price at moment, besides, it won't pick up until next winter for the next big wave of titles to hit the shelves that have had time to be developed properly for the system. Theres also reports of a few systems being a bit 'glitchy' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24987718

To be honest I just kind of miss a gaming console at the moment because I'm back to my late night routine and when it hits 11.00pm I'm stuck for things to do :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I'm worried about the glitchy PS4s too, it's a real worry to be honest. Still, if it fails, I'll get it sorted I'm sure...

Nintendo actually take rpide in the fact their games retain their value :lol: I guess it's something different, but the reality is that there are so few "games worth playing" on the Nintendo platforms, that they really do retain the prices. If the system was filled with really good games, then they'd drop in price.

Mario 3D land looks superb though :)

First few reviews for XB1 games are in. Lococycle is turd, Killer Instinct is missing most of the game (but what's there is a decent fighting game) and Dead Rising 3 is bug ridden, but kind of fun between the annoyances :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
hD71389BD

Even if Arkham Origins is still as buggy, ruins it somewhat when you can't complete it...

I really cannot be bothered with XBone or PS4, mainly because I have too many uncompleted games in the first place... Oh wells...

Pierre

Strata Poster
I tried to do a bit of research on games such as Call of Duty: Ghosts to see how they utilise the gamepad but nothing out there really shows it, just gameplay (which actually looks quite good on the aesthetics side to be fair!)

I'm just worried the gamepad is a gimmick that never gets utilised by third-party titles - such as the rear touchpad on the Vita.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
When it's used, it's really natural and complimentary; but it's used so infrequently to any real benefit of the game. Erm, it's difficult to explain what I mean.

Like ZombieU, all your backpack management is on the pad, so it's dead easy and you do naturally look at it to use it. However, it's not really any different from an on-screen menu, other than the game isn't paused.

Sega All Stars Racing thing has a map on the pad, but you can't look at it while racing - it would be better as an on screen mini-map. However, it's great when you have multiplayer and one is on the pad the other has full screen. Though again, it's not really to different from splitting the screen, and with a split screen, the pad player isn't disadvantaged with a smaller screen.

Little Inferno uses the pad well, but you end up using it exclusively as it requires a lot of input Pikmin 3 has a map on it which works well as it's a much slower paced game.

So yeah, it's hit and miss but generally doesn't really add anything - though it works in context a little better than I'm saying :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
For the BLoD, mine works perfectly fine (did my first ever midnight release to get it as well). Sony also stated that they had a projection of a .4% failure rate already figured out. Which means out of the million sold so far in the US, 4000 or so are buggy. Plus you have to remember that the negative reviews will always far outweight the positive solely because those who had a bad experience want everyone to know (just look at facebook ya'll).

Sad part of getting the Ps4 at release is that the game I really wanted (Watch Dogs) was pushed back, so its 400 bucks down the drain for Netflix, Chrunchyroll and Killzone!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Intricks said:
Sad part of getting the Ps4 at release is that the game I really wanted (Watch Dogs) was pushed back, so its 400 bucks down the drain for Netflix, Chrunchyroll and Killzone!

Saddest part is that the best reviewed games are games already out on the PS3 :lol:

Pick up Flower and Sound Shapes if you haven't got them already (if you do, they're free and replay them). That's going to be the thing I spend most of my time doing for a couple of days after release :)

Both are utterly brilliant games though, so well worth your time.

peep

CF Legend
So I was in London the other night to see a film and ended up at the Xbox One launch party (as you do). Even though I have no interest in the new Xbox it was free and live music was on the cards. It was a well set up event, live actors portraying characters from the main release titles were roaming Leicester Square (Romans, football players and zombies). They had several tents set up where you could play on the new console. They had an uber expensive McLaren car you could take photos of and they were handing out free hats, t-shirts and mountain dew (none of which I got my grubby hands on <//3 ).

The 'event' lasted two hours in which we saw the two presenters look a bit awkward/bored of repeating themselves every five seconds. The crowd wore tired of watching the same 3 adverts for the same games over and over again (from what I could tell the console was only being launched with a football game (fifa), a zombie game (yawn), that roman game and the car driving one). They had a random gamer play Fifa against an England football player (yay?) who lost but was still given a free console, two random gamers play the racing game (winner also got the console), the main actress from the Inbetweeners came out to advertise the fact you can do exactly what you can do on your phone/tablet/TV/PC by watching 4OD on the new console. We also had live music performances from some rappers who were turd, Katy B who was ok and Plan B who was pretty good.

So, what are my thought on the new console after the event? Forza looks exactly like Gran Turismo 3 complete with Top Gear track from the other Gran Turismo game (so next gen). Ryse looks ok but I haven't seen ANY gameplay, I assume it's meant to be like another fps game? ;) Fifa 14 looks exactly the same as it did 5 years ago (so next gen). I dunno, some zombie rubbish, again, no gameplay footage, what do you even do? They also showed some of the usual fps stuff and that. Oh and Zoo Tycoon which is clearly their best game on offer lol.

As you can tell, I'm not sold. Then again I'm not much of a gamer anymore. However I'm finding that the 'next gen' of consoles is totally underwhelming. There's a Sony thing nearby showing off the PS4 so I plan on checking that out on Monday.