What's new

The Games we play...

kimahri

CF Legend
Ollie said:
But that's a reccuring problem though that still hasn't been fixed and is effecting millions of gamers all the time. This has only happened once and It'll probably be fixed before tomorrow.

Hardware errors are different to Software errors. dolt.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's a problem which affected a potential 20% of an initial batch of 360's (I think it was the first 18 month's worth or something). Microsoft have changed the insides of the 360 since that time and it doesn't happen to any models with the new design.

This issue is worse. It affects 100% of certain PS3 models (100% is much worse than some of 20% ;) ). There's also a chance that it is a hardware problem actually onboard which can't be fixed by a firmware update. Sony seem to currently be in their nearest places of worship praying that tomorrow will come and everything will be magically fixed.

If not, they'll be looking at 100% recall of PS3's from the first two or three years!!! This is actually really - REALLY serious. 8 million plus PS3 owners currently unable to use their system - waiting for tomorrow to come? It easily eclipses the 360 RROD recalls.

Okay, so it may be that there's a few million people unable to play for one day - it's not the end of the world, but it IS a major, major issue. Add on to that potential loses of purchases, save games and trophies and you have a huge number of very upset gamers. - and that's in a best case scenario...

Pierre

Strata Poster
kimahri said:
What the yellow light of death?

Thats what I got! :(

Luckily though they replaced my PS3, even though it was out of warranty :)

It basically turns on, goes green, then yellow, then off. You can't get the disc out either (and Sony take 3 months to send it back :( )

Inverse

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
So, should I avoid using my PS3 tonight?

A UK Sony spokesman has said offline should be okay. There are still two problems to think about though.

Firstly: You PS3 likely connects automatically, well before you get to the menus. So you'll need to disable your router or unplug the cable before booting.

Secondly: Any save files you make tonight will be saved as Sony time (29/02/2010), potentially causing this data to corrupt when/if a fix is issued. You could manually set the date, but i'm not sure if that'll have any affect whatsoever on the save time. I think that just sets the clock on the XMB.

kimahri

CF Legend
Inverse said:
kimahri said:
So, should I avoid using my PS3 tonight?

A UK Sony spokesman has said offline should be okay. There are still two problems to think about though.

Firstly: You PS3 likely connects automatically, well before you get to the menus. So you'll need to disable your router or unplug the cable before booting.

Secondly: Any save files you make tonight will be saved as Sony time (29/02/2010), potentially causing this data to corrupt when/if a fix is issued. You could manually set the date, but i'm not sure if that'll have any affect whatsoever on the save time. I think that just sets the clock on the XMB.

It's offline and I havent been on in a while and I've changed my router setting since then, so it can't connect.

I think I'm still going to wait out until a patch or something is out.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
New Grid DLC has been announced. Bathurst at last and ten new cars. I'm excited!

PS3 exclusive at the moment - which is ironic as it means nobody will be playing it ;)

Eight quid though which is pricey, but I do love Bathurst.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The clock on my Wii is working fine!

See, you should have all bought a Wii.

It would sit there gathering dust and you'd never know there was a problem until you're bored enough to switch it on.

Ollie

CF Legend
^I've got all three 'next gens' so it doesn't really matter. I can go without the PS3 for a while if I need too but I bet there's someone out there right now crying into their pillow and not knowing why it's worth living anymore. :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^Nah it's just my mums, partner's son has a 360. I brought myself a PS3 a few years back and last Christmas we got a sexy black Wii for a family present.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I read something on a blog from Sony that said if you have an older model, don't go on your PS3 today. Luckily I have a slim so mine's ok, but I hope they can get the stuff back for everyone who has lost data.

Gladiator

Mega Poster
i THINK ive lost all of my Fifa 10 trophys, but I bought the new Ultimate Team DLC yesterday, so i really hope that has not gone otherwise it will be £5 wasted... ://
Come on Sony Get it Sorted!