What's new

The Coaster type the UK needs the most

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
No, it isn't at all really. The other topic is about getting another coaster of a type we already have (a better, more developed version). This one is about getting something we don't have at all

It an topic we've had before, yes, but it's not the same as the one you've mentioned.

Personally, I think we need a modern woodie in a park that's more accessible to more people. Yes, I'm aware that we have Megafobia, but few people even know it exists.

As for completely new? A steel airtime coaster. We have coasters with "moments" of airtime, but that's it. I hate to go with the obvious, but a Megalite would be perfect for a small UK park, were it not for the cost involved.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
So are we discussing the subject in hand or trying to out mod each other?

I agree with Gavin on his two choices, It'd be great to see more airtime in this country. But to add to the topic I'd love to see a floorless here. Perhaps Swarm will provide a similar thrill, but I really do love the exposed feeling on Floorlesses.

dominoes

Mega Poster
I would love to see airtime on a flying coaster. There is a bit on the drop of air, and it is my fav bit! The feeling of being lifted off the restraints and into the back of the seat is something I'm not used to.

mouse

Giga Poster
I mainly agree with Gavin with a woodie.
I think there's quite a few parks (like Alton) that could fit in a really good terrain woodie like BD. It would fit in the park/s alot better than a prefab or something.
Secondly we need something big, like a mega, focusing on airtime and ride experience other than records, worlds firsts and gimmicks.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Would it be spam if I said AquaTrax?

On a serious note, though, I'm with Gavin on the woodie. I think the UK is too densely populated to warrant any sort of coaster above ~50 metres, but a woodie would be somewhat realistic, and a novelty to the British populace. You've got most of the other coaster types covered already, but are kinda poor in the wood departement.

Something following in the footsteps of Maverick would be ace too. Shouldn't be too demanding with planning either, and construction costs wouldn't be overwhelming. However, running costs is the killer for a ride with two launches.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
A good terrain coaster like BD or Maverick would fit in brilliantly anywhere in the UK. I don't know why but I could see LWV adding in something major like a woodie.

Also, a terrain woodie along the edge of the valley at Alton would be pure amazing.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Also, a terrain woodie along the edge of the valley at Alton would be pure amazing.[/quote]

We can all dream, but we both know that never going to happen. :cry:

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Shouldn't discussion about woodies be in the 'What does the UK need another of' rather than this one? We're talking about ride types that have not yet been introduced to the British Isles here.

I personally think a hyper coaster would do us the world of good. They're just so enjoyable to ride - so different to everything we've got in the UK at the moment.

Ben

CF Legend
TP Rich said:
Shouldn't discussion about woodies be in the 'What does the UK need another of' rather than this one? We're talking about ride types that have not yet been introduced to the British Isles here... I personally think a hyper coaster would do us the world of good.

Fail.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^Don't want to cause a flame-war but I'd choose an Intamin hyper/mega-lite over a B&M hyper anyday. In fact, a Mega-Lite would fit nicely at Thorpe if they could cram it.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Thats good cause I wasn't talking about B&M hypers I was talking about theirGiga's, but yes I understand and respect Intamin mega-lites.

Kebab said:
In fact, a Mega-Lite would fit nicely at Thorpe if they could cram it.

Fit nicely and Cram are complete opposites :p When I went to Thorpe I didn't see much space at all. Unless they continue to build islands they'd have trouble fitting one "nicely". They could do it, it would just be a tight fit.

DDF14

Mega Poster
I agree its got to be an airtime machine in either Giga / Mega / Lite or Wood form. I'd prefer a quality GCI wooden coaster or Intamin Giga the later to replace PMBO. Would love a park to spring a B&M monster on us but I just cant see anywhere with the space and planning to suprise us.

I think the UK has done well for Inversion coasters, Im not that fussed with Floorless and other types of sit-down loopers standard or launched as I see Thorpes wing rider filling that gap very nicely. The only other type of inversion coaster I think we could do with is a 4D but I would prefer B&M or Intamin to master it for us rather than get another S&S example. I do love Eejanaika though and I am proud to have that one in my count.

Taxi

Mega Poster
A decent giga-coaster. I feel so bad for people in Europe.

Possibly an Intamin accelerator coaster. 300' top hat with a layout that follows.

However, I'm jealous of Shambhala.

Ben

CF Legend
Taxi said:
A decent giga-coaster. I feel so bad for people in Europe.

It's OK, we might not have a coaster over a certain height but we have rights, free healthcare, culture, history and the ability to leave the country we were born in, so I'm sure we'll survive without your pity.