What's new

The backward B&M seats

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The backwards B&M seats have been added to several coasters for a year or two now. I always considered this a gimmick experiment, so do you think it has succeeded or not?

From what I've seen, riders don't flock to ride the backwards facing seats and there are no new plans to add the seats to other coasters.

The only positive I can see is it spawned the mrawS name for the backwards seats on Swarm.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Reridability.

Small boost in attendance for initial year.

I'm glad they exist - they do offer something very unique, but it's not an enjoyable experience enough for me to seek it out regularly, and certainly not to queue extra for. When Kyle, CanobieFan and Dillon visited and it was busy, they ONLY rode it backwards due to the uniqueness of it. I think CanobieFan kinda loved it but he's broken tbh.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I rode both of the backwards Batman rides as well as mrawS and enjoyed them, so I guess I'm broken as well. :p
Yes, they are a bit gimmicky but both Batman rides had long queues throughout their limited engagements when those ride are usually walk-on. So from that standpoint and the marketing side of things I would say that they were somewhat successful. I guess we'll know for sure if a different Batman clone gets the treatment in the next year or two. If it doesn't happen, then we know it was a failure.
How is the queue for mrawS? Does it still have a longer wait than the front row, for example?

marc

CF Legend
Re: The backward B&M seats

I hated The Swarm backwards for me it ruined my favourite seat, it just made me feel sick.

When we went the queue for backwards was walk on but forwards had a longer queue.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
The queue for The Swarm backwards is always shorter now, they have even scrapped the designated queue for backwards now, just having a small section in the station.
I think it done well at first but people soon realised it was nothing special. I've heard many times in The Swarm queue that facing forwards is better from the general public.

Ben

CF Legend
Is it just Swarm and Hollywood Dream that still have them?

I've never tried one but I really want to. Not enough to go to Thorpe, but I do want to try one.

peep

CF Legend
It's a gimmick but one that works for certain parks/rides. I know that with Hollywood Dream it was meant to be there for only few months as a small additional thing for the park to promote. It worked as they kept extending it's time as it was stupidly popular (and actually works as a ride experience) and as far as I'm aware it's now permanent?

Not sure we'll see more of them any time soon, feel like the fad has ceased.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
ECG said:
both Batman rides had long queues throughout their limited engagements
But doesn't Batman always have a long queue? ;)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
On The Swarm it is good for the first time. After that, once the novelty has worn off, it wasn't that special.
Overall, I am not really a fan.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I actually really enjoy riding mrawS, not quite as much as I enjoy the outside seat on the right side of front row but I really like it, the best seat for going backwards is the very back, left outside seat, it is just beautiful, I like how you don't know where you're going.

As for success I can't really comment, I only went to Thorpe once in 2014 and there was no queue for it. I suppose if it isn't as good as my favourite seat it can't really be a success but I would be disappointed if the option was removed.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Hyde said:
ECG said:
both Batman rides had long queues throughout their limited engagements
But doesn't Batman always have a long queue? ;)
Not really. They're usually a much shorter wait than other popular coasters in the parks.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I found Swarm backwards a bit of a bizarre experience… it's mediocre really. I'm not against it, though I'm not crazy for it either.

Batman backwards does seem appealing to me though.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Swarm backwards did nothing for me - except make me feel a little ill- Also, you don't get the benefit of the near misses with the billboard!

I only rode Swarm in the backwards seat, but it was an interesting experience. I rode it both forward and backward, so I have to agree with whoever said that it increases the desire to reride. It wasn't better backward, but it was a fun and interesting experience.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
It's interesting seeing everything get smaller going Backwards on The Swarm but it's nothing to write home on. When friends that have never been Thorpe Park it's an excuse to ride it backwards. For that ,alter the only time I have actually ever enjoyed it was at Staff Social when it's dark because you literally can't see the track.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: The backward B&M seats

I genuinely enjoyed namtaB. It was intense, fun, and overall a great experience. I can't say anything about mrawS. But I really enjoyed namtaB.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Intricks

Strata Poster
While having never experienced namtaB or mrawS, I think they would be exceptional fun. I do wonder though how a larger ride would feel backwardd, and if it would make it more enjoyable or worse.

What if rides like Montu, Leviathan, Raptor, Patriot or even a ride like Maverick offered a backward facing car/train. Would those rides be drastically different than their forward counterpart?

Temleh

Mega Poster
Intricks said:
While having never experienced namtaB or mrawS, I think they would be exceptional fun. I do wonder though how a larger ride would feel backwardd, and if it would make it more enjoyable or worse.

What if rides like Montu, Leviathan, Raptor, Patriot or even a ride like Maverick offered a backward facing car/train. Would those rides be drastically different than their forward counterpart?

Maverick backwards would be just mental.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
They're great experiences, but it's one of those that once I had done it, I didn't feel the urge to do it again. For instance, The Swarm I did backwards about 3 times, one of those was because a friend of mine wanted too. Considering Thorpe is my home park and I visit a considerable amount of times a year it's pretty much lost it's appeal. I suppose it actually sounds cool when you say to someone "Do you want to ride such an such a ride...BACKWARDS?!?!". They're alright in my opinion, but I can see it just being a trial. Perhaps for future added switch backs on a B&M or a shuttle, who knows. A Dive Machine may be interesting however, I will say that!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I guess I should add that although I liked mrawS in the back row, I prefer Swarm in the front row. You just don't get any of the near misses backwards and there's something I really like about experiencing them as you approach and fly through them.
I'm not sure how many people have had the pleasure of riding one of the Paramount park out-and-back woodies backwards. They were much better than mrawS or mantaB and very re-rideable.