What's new

Texas Giant opening date confirmed

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm still weary about that double up. Airtime is good, but that simply looks like negative g assault and battery - if proportions are off that will be more uncomfortable than Villain's deceased trick track!

Snoo

The Legend
Ooooo Villain's trick track. How you <3 the world. :D

I share Matt's views on this one.. lets hope the lats are kept down past a certain point because that could be amazing.. or death.

RCF

Strata Poster
I passed by Six Flags today and got a glimpse of the Giant. I saw what appeared to be catwalks making their way up the lift hill. I'll be going sometime in the next week or so and will update more then.

RCF

Strata Poster
Thanks to ghost007jas at TPR, we have been informed that the Giant will have catwalks all along the ride but on one side only.

He was able to interview Brian "Yippee" Houser, maintenance worker on the Texas Giant, who was one of a kind interview on the Six Flags blog can be found here (scroll down to August 6th) about the renovation on the Giant.

To see Jacob's interview with Mr. Houser just follow this link and you'll be able to read the interview (is that better?).

CMonster

Giga Poster
RCF said:
To read Jacob's interview with Mr. Houser just follow this link and you'll be able to read.

For some reason this really made me LOL. Maybe because it sound as if illegible people will learn to read from that link? :wink:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^That's because there was literally only one good coaster built by them, Wild One. The rest are awful and deserve to be ripped down.

RCF

Strata Poster
Thank god for Zingo :p

Photo update!

Lately they've been doing a lot of the work on the lift hill, mainly on the catwalk.
tpr1_3.jpg

You can see the chain trough starting to go in as well
tpr2_2.jpg

They've installed track behind the old block brake section, and the drop looks to be a lot deeper than before
tpr3_3.jpg

Another piece of track was being put in at the time
tpr4_3.jpg

This is from the train, you can see a very steep ascent (traced by the red line) leading up to where the block brake was previously
tpr7_2.jpg

And last but not least, a fully updated graphic
23_texas_giant_refurb_demo_aug_21_tpr.png

RCF

Strata Poster
Found some cool pictures from Rocky Mountain Constructions' website, I really like this one:

ibox02.JPG

The rest can be found here.

They're really cool pictures.

A

Anonymous

wow!

Thay have to do alot of work! Well that is a good thing! :--D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
ibox08.JPG

Looks like a pretty fly drop to me.

Excuse the noobish-ness, but what trains are going to be used with the new track?

A

Anonymous

I think that it's made so that any wooden coaster train could be used, so I would guess on the old PTC ones, unless they decide to upgrade...

RCF

Strata Poster
^^^ They're using prototype Gerstlauer trains. The old PTC's are in a museum in Texas along with some track.

Here's some pictures from today

Chain guide's almost done
4939929342_4e018593e6_z.jpg

You can see the turn starting to take shape
4939906412_5b1231c149_z.jpg

See?
4939912866_9b10f1b6bd_z.jpg

Some rails at the bottom of the third drop
4939332967_6d6a6ac89a_z.jpg

And here's a somewhat better view of how that first turn is shaping up
4939338897_205b59f49a_z.jpg

And on Amusement Today, apparently they've passed the 40% completion mark and, well, here it is,

Amusement Today said:
Weeks of 100-degree-plus temperatures has not slowed down construction on the rebuild of the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington. Construction crews from Rocky Mountain Construction reached the 40 percent mark this week despite weeks of excessive heat. Workers are wrapping up the installation of the stairs for the lift hill and will soon begin installing the new chain lift sections. The impressive 79-degree first drop is now complete and work is now underway on the 114-degree overbanked curves. With the park wrapping up daily operation this weekend, Rocky Mountain is now turning up the heat on its own, with 20 workers now onsite split among two crews - all working six days per week. The new Texas Giant will make its debut spring, 2011.

114*? What the hell? They are really changing things a lot. First 95, then 112, now 114? if that's true, then daaaaaaamn.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The drop does look amazing!

However, this "steepest wooden coaster" thing is bollocks surely, since the track is now steel? Ok, so it's a new track type blah blah blah, but to me calling it a wooden coaster is like calling Gemini (or one of those Arrow mine trains) a wooden coaster; they're not.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
gavin said:
The drop does look amazing!

However, this "steepest wooden coaster" thing is bollocks surely, since the track is now steel? Ok, so it's a new track type blah blah blah, but to me calling it a wooden coaster is like calling Gemini (or one of those Arrow mine trains) a wooden coaster; they're not.
Exactly. It isn't the steepest wooden coaster drop. It's just a really steep steel drop! :wink: