What's new

Swine Influenza: Disaster or Media Panic?

Panic or Pandemic?

• It will be a huge epidemic/pandemic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It'll be a problem, but no disaster

• Just another flu. Out of the picture by next week

• *coughcoughcoughIvegotitcoughcough*

• Total voters

nealbie

CF Legend
Meh, I just find it funny that different so called "population clocks" don't synchronise with each other :lol:

Several that I looked at were around the 6.9 billion mark so I took it as a majority win :wink:

Nic

Strata Poster
I'm just glad I've got my zombie apocalypse plan all figured out. Sara, myself and my mate Chris will all head to my local pub (which we ACTUALLY all refer to as The Winchester, even though that's not its name).
Then, Sara will use a gun, I will arm myself with a blunt object, and Chris will probably get eaten. We worked this out cause Sara is amazing at Duel, and I'm the queen of those whack-a-mole machines.
Ok, so its maybe not the greatest plan in the world, but hey, there's a breville out back :)

the_missus

Mega Poster
Vadge said:
and Chris will probably get eaten.

I bet you'd feed him to them!! :twisted:

divvie_dave said:
Ah , I got a sniffle....... might as well start diggin my grave

Same here....wouldn't be surprised if I got kidnapped on my way to work and placed in qurantine....cos you know with this whole piggy flu WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!

Slash

Giga Poster
Back on a serious note, just so everyone whos panicking knows...

There have only been 20 official cases of a person dying from Swine Flu.

None of them were outside Mexico.

And we have 4 times more TamiFlu (a drug that helps flu symptoms) than the US. Enough to give to half our population.

I don't think we need worry.

Oh yeah and Neal, did you notice how that clock thing never went down. Technically on that, people don't die!

Ollie

CF Legend
^On those population clocks it just delays when people die.
On average about 3 people are born every second and someone dies every 10 seconds (I think?). So it will always be rising.

Ben

CF Legend
^I don't the maths of that quiet works out Ollie...

That means about 250,000 people are born a day and 8,640 die a day...

That doesn't QUITE work :p

Ollie

CF Legend
I couldn't be bothered to work it out. I just remembered been told something like that some time ago. :p

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Hehe, taken striaght from a wiki:

About 250,000 - 300,000 people die per day.
Calculations:
7 billion people on earth.
Average life expectancy is about 66.12 years ~ 24150 days
7 billion people / 24150 days is just less than 300k
However, life expectancy is increasing, and population is increasing, so the actual number should be lower than 300k.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Looks like the media have run out of Jade Goody and Susan Boyle stories.

Seems like media hype to me and them trying to cause a mass panic.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Hahaha, US Congresswoman Michele Bachmann sees a link between the Democrats and sinw flu.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjRFJQuoiI[/youtube]

Yeah, it seems Mexico is the only country with people who are actually dying from this. We have a few cases reported in Ontario, but these people aren't even in the hospital.

I went to the doctor's today and had to fill out some form saying I hadn't been to Mexico, hadn't known anyone who has been to Mexico, etc. because I had a sore stomach/bladdar :p. .

Dave

CF Legend
Your a Mexican!

Well they are wondering if there are other issues that contributed to the deaths of the people in Mexico. Im not allowed to talk about this anymore at uni since I offended the 'American', god I hate it when people can't take a joke.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Well, the global threat level has risen to Level 5 within the last hour. That means a global pandemic is imminent. The only higher level is Level 6, which is a global pandemic.

:|

nealbie

CF Legend
Meh, that's just standard procedure when there are deaths in more than 1 country.

I'm still not worried, and I had pork for dinner :roll:

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Neal said:
Meh, that's just standard procedure when there are deaths in more than 1 country.

I'm still not worried, and I had pork for dinner :roll:

Firstly, the girl was from Mexico but went to America for treatment for the flu, so though classed as two different countries, in my eyes, still the same.

Secondly, it's perfectly fine to eat pork or any meat even if there is a possibility of infection as long as it is cooked properly.

This may sound really, really weird, but I hope there is a pandemic. Survival of the fittest = how we evolved and got to where we are today.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
So 160 deaths... Out of the total 6.9 odd billion with have here...

And it's only been knocked up a level cos of one death in America...

And counting the BBC's confirmed infected people list, we have fewer cases in total GLOBALLY than the total amount dead... (135 to be exact)

Jesus Christ... :roll:

EDIT: I've spotted this link on the BBC, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021547.stm, which can keep you updated with the total and cases in the world...

Which in itself shows that it truly is being blown out of proportion... Just like Bird Flu...

Error

Strata Poster
They might have to close down our campas here because of it: since someone apparently came back from Texas with it and came to college, spreading it around.

I wouldn't panic, though. I mean, bird flu didn't do squat.