What's new

SW8

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not really.

silver_dollar_city_10_91.jpg

Your examples are more wooden than some of their others but there's still too much steel involved for me.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I wondered how long an Alton thread could go before people started having their Wardley w@nk.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^^The track is still way more wood than steel though. Isn't the steel to protect it or something? Whereas the track on Iron Horse coasters is clearly totally steel.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye but the key parts of the ride are steel, which takes a bit of the character away from it for me.

Idk I've just always expected it to be and wanted it to be 100% thoroughbred woodie.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
This. A hundred times over.

I can't help but feel we've been waiting 12 years for a good quality woodie and now what we have is a sort-of-woodie with possibly a...launch? FFS can't we just go for quality over gimmick for once? GG or GCI have proven track records and would both be able to give us a traditional ride of substance.

I'm not dissing RMC. I've only been on one, Iron Rattler, and I really, really enjoyed it. But in no way did it have a traditional woodie feel. And although it looked sexy as hell, it certainly wasn't in my top ten.

Stevewalsh1987

Roller Poster
elephant58 said:
In 2000, he went into semi-retirement, but in 2003, Tussaud's no longer needed his services, so didn't design NI, Sonic, Dragon's Fury, Rita, or Stealth. When Merlin took over in 2007, they brought him out of retirement and he's designed every Merlin coaster since, until 2014.

He was responsible for the Designs of NI (one design had the drop around detonator), & Fury, and Spinball too which was originally meant to have trick track, just not Rita & Stealth.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^No he wasn't. NI was designed by Stengel and both Fury and Sonic had nothing to do with him and were by Stengel. Rita and Stealth were also Stengel designs, with all the themeing being designed by Candy Holland. And Sonic was never meant to have trick track, which came from an earlier Wardley design and later revisited for Thirteen. Wardley may have had some involvement with those coasters, but he certainly wasn't responsible for them.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Mysterious Sue said:
This. A hundred times over.

I can't help but feel we've been waiting 12 years for a good quality woodie and now what we have is a sort-of-woodie with possibly a...launch? FFS can't we just go for quality over gimmick for once? GG or GCI have proven track records and would both be able to give us a traditional ride of substance.

I'm not dissing RMC. I've only been on one, Iron Rattler, and I really, really enjoyed it. But in no way did it have a traditional woodie feel. And although it looked sexy as hell, it certainly wasn't in my top ten.
This is totally how I feel about it as well.

It's not that I'm not excited about the new ride and we are looking to get something we never imagined we would ever get close to, but it is a shame that we couldn't have had a good traditional coaster to add to the line up.

spicy

Giga Poster
Never ridden an RMC but if it has to be launched then I'd rather a launched Intamin prefab any day if those were the choices.

Dan1989

Mega Poster
So has this been confirmed as an actual new woodie, or could we still end up with another version of spinball ?

Alex23

Roller Poster
The screening document mentioned 'timber truss' supports which is why most people believe its going to be a Woodie

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So what do we think?
Is this going to be the cross-valley woodie, similar to that proposed back in '05, or will it just be confined to Forbidden Valley?
I can't help thinking we're seeing the resurrection of the cross valley monster.
Why? Well... because if it's just in FV alone, I think we're looking at a very small coaster here. Even if Blade and Ripsaw go, that's not a huge amount of space to work with, not for something with the footprint of a woodie.
Then there's the height issue. 15 metres is feck all, where's the speed, the drops and the airtime coming from? Ok there's been rumour of a launch, but what does that give us? A low level, launched woodie, with no big drops or airtime hills, just twists, turns and bunny hops. Basically a wooden Rita, that's what. And that simply wouldn't do.
Finally, there's all that tree clearance going on, in the valley, under the FV Skyride station and at the bottom end of Rita. It all looks suspiciously like the route planned for the '05 coaster.
All these things lead me to believe that this simply has to be the cross-valley plan.
It just has to be. Surely?
Because if it's not, it'll be naff. End of.

spicy

Giga Poster
I very much doubt that it will be the 2005 coaster, as much as we would all love it to be.

The plans were originally withdrawn due to height and noise. To my knowledge nothing has changed in the 10 years to make those plans now feasible.

But for the hell of it you can take another look at the plans and get excited about a coaster that you will most probably never be able to ride.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/woodie.htm

I will gladly eat my hat with joy if those plans are resurrected for SW8 :lol:

andrus

Giga Poster
I think a launched woodie is a great idea, especially if it where to be a multi-launcher! I imagine a layout similiar to Juvelen at Djurs Sommerland would suit a woodie well (and is in fact quite similar to a GCI). Add in a couple of airtime hills as well; then you got a world class ride :--D

elephant58

Hyper Poster
It's worth pointing out that Nemesis is only 13m tall, but has a 32m drop, so I'm sure it isn't too much to worry about. I'm personally hoping for RMC, because I've only really heard good things about them. However if we ended up with a GG, GCI, or B&M, I wouldn't complain.