What's new

Surveying occurring at Paultons Park - potential new attraction?

Niles

Giga Poster
Me and the family went for a day at Paulton's today and as usual we had a great day. I also took some construction pics.

The 2024 water attraction has a building now going vertical at the far end of the site, the site feels big for a single flat but small for a rapids, so still no idea on whats coming.
IMG20230705105344.jpg
IMG20230705105307.jpg
IMG20230705105322.jpg

Turning the corner into the gardens they look to be adding a new zoo area. Im not sure if it will have a theme like how they did with the "Wild Lands" area, as it looks like a smaller space in comparison but another addition is always nice. The structure has already gone vertical.
IMG20230705105153.jpg
IMG20230705105231.jpg
IMG20230705105238.jpg

While on the smaller scale a new gelato shop is also under construction by the entrance to the Peppa Pig Land and the train exit, i wonder if they will build the giant ice cream 🤔
IMG20230705124244.jpg

Finally when it comes to the areas seeking planning permission the Cobra/Edge area has nothing that stands out as changed. The other area by the Go-carts and a tall mountain of wood and stuff (possible bonfire) but not much else going on.

The Go-carts looked unused and were closed all day and the indoor trampoline area is now just wood chips. So i do wonder with the area below in red having something coming will the area in orange also be under redevelopment, i hope so but if so that would be one big new area for the park.
IMG_20230705_182232.jpg

Still love this park, i do feel like a dark ride and water ride are the next thing they need but for now we still had a great day 😊

Last edited:

Bowser

Mega Poster
Still love this park, i do feel like a dark ride and water ride are the next thing they need but for now we still had a great day

Yeah, it's easily the most "polished" theme park in the UK. A Dark Ride would be perfect (the general lack of big Dark Rides in the UK compared to other countries still baffles me).

Niles

Giga Poster
A kids log flume!

Its just a coincidence 🤔 but of all the days they choose to announce it, its the day i went, suspicious 😅

It makes sense, considering i feel the seal rides days are numbered this should be a nice replacement. Mabey a rapids or water coaster could be coming to the cobra redevelopment and then we will see the current flume also go.

Last edited:

Bowser

Mega Poster
Finally Paulton's have received planning permission for the Cobra & Edge area for development, with this and the area by the go-carts they can now crack on with whatever they have planned.

Is this for the Water ride or additional?

Coastiesaurus

Roller Poster
Is this for the Water ride or additional?

Additional. The water ride (looks to be a mini-flume) is being built in Lost Kingdom.

I can't wait to see what Paultons has planned for this new area. Hopefully they ditch the go-karts and the Reverchon flume now that they are building a new one, and that gives them even more space. Personally, I'm hoping for a well-themed dark ride. We desperately need good dark rides in the UK.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Additional. The water ride (looks to be a mini-flume) is being built in Lost Kingdom.

I can't wait to see what Paultons has planned for this new area. Hopefully they ditch the go-karts and the Reverchon flume now that they are building a new one, and that gives them even more space. Personally, I'm hoping for a well-themed dark ride. We desperately need good dark rides in the UK.

I'm with you 100% there. And the current summer of non stop rain only highlights that!

Presumably Dark Rides are generally more expensive/space consuming? Times like this you really notice how places like Disneyland or even Efteleing are virtually weather proof compared to the UK parks.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Went to Paulton's yesterday, they are building a new zoo area next to the Water Ride as well. Wasn't much to see in terms of the ride, there was a vague set of flags marking what could be a track but could easily be something else. Doesn't look like a particularly large area either but could stretch back further.

Also had my first experience of a rollercoaster getting stuck when Velociraptor stopped on the initial reverse incline (in the pouring rain no less). They had us all off within 5 minutes and the ride back running again 5 minutes later too, really impressed.

And finally... it's insane how Storm Chaser is only 1M height requirement. It's more intense than any ride at Chessington for example. Not complaining and appreciate it's to do with safety foremost, just cannot imagine many 4 year olds tolerating it :eek:

Challis76

Roller Poster
So love seeing this park grow over my life time. As a local resident. This park has always been our go to day out and to have a park of this quality on my doorstep is incredible. I was thinking about the land by cobra etc and was chatting with my 9 yr old and she said a Minecraft theme park would be epic and I thought how amazing this idea would be at paultons if they were in the market to buy some intellectual property the existing rides would sit well in the lands theme cobra could become a mine cart ride magma could stay the same swap dinosaurs for creepers perhaps. I think the game has the following, and appeals to that slightly older audience allowing the park to put in something of an adult thrill ride in. This is just mine and my 9 yr olds thoughts

Coastiesaurus

Roller Poster
So love seeing this park grow over my life time. As a local resident. This park has always been our go to day out and to have a park of this quality on my doorstep is incredible. I was thinking about the land by cobra etc and was chatting with my 9 yr old and she said a Minecraft theme park would be epic and I thought how amazing this idea would be at paultons if they were in the market to buy some intellectual property the existing rides would sit well in the lands theme cobra could become a mine cart ride magma could stay the same swap dinosaurs for creepers perhaps. I think the game has the following, and appeals to that slightly older audience allowing the park to put in something of an adult thrill ride in. This is just mine and my 9 yr olds thoughts
I agree with your first point - I'm a local as well (only a few minutes down the road) and I am unbelievably excited for the future of Paultons. Feel incredibly blessed to live so close to one of the most promising parks out there.

But please, keep the IP's for Merlin and their ilk! Paultons lucked out hugely with Peppa Pig, an undeniably strong IP which should be popular for years to come. Yes, something like Minecraft would be equally popular. But look at the way the park have expanded with Lost Kingdom and Tornado Springs, both non-intellectual property themed lands, and they have added so much charm and wholesome theming to the park. I would like more of that as opposed to bringing in another intellectual property. Paultons has a chance to be more like some of the better European theme parks than the usual, IP-heavy fare and relentlessly dark theming we get here in the UK.

Personally I'd love to see something like a Pirate-themed land, with a high quality dark ride. I think Paultons may have been testing that idea out recently, as they currently do a small pirate show at certain times of the year. Failing that, either a jungle or castle theme would be great. But whatever they do, I'm sure it will be great!

embean01

Roller Poster
I agree with your first point - I'm a local as well (only a few minutes down the road) and I am unbelievably excited for the future of Paultons. Feel incredibly blessed to live so close to one of the most promising parks out there.

But please, keep the IP's for Merlin and their ilk! Paultons lucked out hugely with Peppa Pig, an undeniably strong IP which should be popular for years to come. Yes, something like Minecraft would be equally popular. But look at the way the park have expanded with Lost Kingdom and Tornado Springs, both non-intellectual property themed lands, and they have added so much charm and wholesome theming to the park. I would like more of that as opposed to bringing in another intellectual property. Paultons has a chance to be more like some of the better European theme parks than the usual, IP-heavy fare and relentlessly dark theming we get here in the UK.

Personally I'd love to see something like a Pirate-themed land, with a high quality dark ride. I think Paultons may have been testing that idea out recently, as they currently do a small pirate show at certain times of the year. Failing that, either a jungle or castle theme would be great. But whatever they do, I'm sure it will be great!
Isn’t there meant to be a intamin water coaster added sometime? I could be wrong but i believe they plan to replace the go karts with that. If so, i think some sort of lost city/atlantis type theme would be good for that area and a redevelopment of cobra/edge area, including a trackless interactive dark ride even?

embean01

Roller Poster
My idea? A interactive trackless dark ride from sally. Theme it and the surrounding area to a atlantis/mythology theme. have it be guests going on a quest for poseidon or something. It can be built under a possible intamin water coaster, with the water coaster circling the perimeter of the land. Either that, or give the water coaster a dark ride section at the beginning.

Niles

Giga Poster
So just saw on Paultons website they are after a construction project manager, looks like a great job if your interested but in the info there are some things to see.
IMG_20231003_204240.jpg

Tornado Springs was i think around £12m, so they are at least thinking of spending £15m on a future project.

Then the first two points go along with the cobra area retheme with additions of new rides.

When it comes to the 2024 additions i could not find a vid that showed it to well but it looks like foundations have started to go in for the mini flume and the new animal area will be for lemurs.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Went to Paulton's today. Still not a lot to see on the new ride site but they have been working on it, lots of diggers etc.

The overall site looks pretty small tbh, i don't see how they're going to fit much of a water ride there.

The Halloween theming is SO good at Paulton's though, makes the Merlin parks look like travelling fairgrounds.

Niles

Giga Poster
Finally found a video that shows whats going down at Paultons.

First here is a look construction on the mini flume.
IMG_20231114_211630.jpg
IMG_20231114_211649.jpg

The lemer inclosure is coming along well to.
IMG_20231114_211707.jpg
IMG_20231114_211915.jpg

Also looks like they are doing even more, the old train station and restaurant are getting a refresh.
IMG_20231114_211932.jpg
IMG_20231114_211808.jpg

And finally not 100% sure but i think its suggested this how the 4D cinema looks.
IMG_20231114_211736.jpg

While no big ride its great to see them add so many little things across the park.

Source:

Themeparknewbie01

Roller Poster
They have built a new substation/transformer near the Cobra and Edge. Surely a sign of impending development
Now this is interesting! Considering this thread started with surveying in the area and now this information... I look forward to hearing what's in store!

Also, looks like the cinema is gone. Hopefully the space will be used for an indoor ride; but more likely back of house. I believe that whole area is for staff etc.