What's new

Stupid things the GP have said

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
PineCone666 said:
On Rage at Adventure Island, at the bottom of the lift, my friend said 'This is The Smiler all over again'.

To be fair, they're made by the same people and both feature vertical lift hills.

YUNG_CHOPPA

Mega Poster
I overheard some guy in the line for Space Mountain at Disney World explaining to his son that all roller coasters have engines, and sometimes they go too fast and that's why they derail so much.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
"This is the best ride in the park!" -while in line for T3 at Kentucky Kingdom. Yeah. sigh.
"A wood coaster that goes upside down! That is not safe at all" SFGAm guest talking about Goliath
"Valravn is actually taller than both Millennium and Top Thrill Dragster!" ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME
I also find it very annoying when people add "the" in front of ride names. Unless it is actually in the actual ride name (ex- The Beast, all of Holiday World's woodies, etc) it just sounds stupid.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ "The" annoys the crap out of me as well. Even RCDB do it their ride descriptions.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
On a training course recently, my interesting fact about myself was of course that i'm a enthusiast. The trainer then starts telling me and the group about his trip to Florida, in particular the Incredible Hulk...
"Its the tallest and fastest rollercoaster in Florida"
"It launches you to 85mph"
"Its so wild it has an OTSR AND a lapbar" (My personal fave)
I just sat there and smiled politely :)

MagnesiumPC

Roller Poster
Here are some of the best I've heard.
"Did you know that Top Thrill Dargster once launched to quickly and flew off the top of the track?" (In line, TTD @ CP)
"These food prices are so reasonable" (Eating at ine of the western places at Cedar Point)

Now, my personal favorites:
"The Diamondback is the tallest coaster in Europe" (In line for Diamondback @ KI)
"Hey this is pretty smooth!" (Brake Run, Vortex @ KI)
"The Backlot Stunt Coaster is the fastest ride in the park" (In line, @ KI).

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
I just remembered one I heard at Six Flags Fiesta Texas this summer.
On the brake run for Superman Krypton Coaster the two people next to us said "that's just like the Great White at Seaworld!"
Haha what the ****. Goliath is a 5 minute walk away and is literally mirror clone of Great White. Like how do you get a floorless mixed with an invert? "My feet dangle so they must be the same thing," probably.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Had a laugh on Friday night, xmas dinner with a few ladies at work, talk turns to coasters:
Lady - I went on a really fast one called Christine once.
Me - Pardon? Christine?
Lady - Yeah, at Alton Towers.

Me -

MagnesiumPC

Roller Poster
"This is the best ride in the park!" -while in line for T3 at Kentucky Kingdom. Yeah. sigh.
"A wood coaster that goes upside down! That is not safe at all" SFGAm guest talking about Goliath
"Valravn is actually taller than both Millennium and Top Thrill Dragster!" ARE YOU :emoji_zipper_mouth:ING KIDDING ME
I also find it very annoying when people add "the" in front of ride names. Unless it is actually in the actual ride name (ex- The Beast, all of Holiday World's woodies, etc) it just sounds stupid.

Well sometimes it makes sense. For instance, saying "do you want to ride Beast" doesn't quite sound right, but if its a proper name (not generic, like Goliath, Monster, etc) like Millennium Force, thats when it annoys me.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
TBF, RCDB's list is not inclusive. For instance, Kings Island does officially list "The Beast", "The Racer", and "The Bat".

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides

Grammatically, you are allowed to use "The" whenever referring to specific and particular nouns. So, especially for those roller coasters with unique titles, using "The" is appropriate.