What's new

Strongest lineup of non-coaster attractions in the UK?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Among enthusiasts living in the UK, a common criticism of many of the country’s major theme parks is that they are too coaster-orientated; many believe that the parks lack variety, and don’t have much to do aside from coasters. So today, I pose a question to you all; in your opinion, which UK theme park has the strongest lineup of attractions that aren’t roller coasters?

As for my answer to this question; this may actually be somewhat controversial to some, but I’m actually going to go with Legoland Windsor.

This may seem like an odd choice, but let me explain myself a little.

In my opinion, the park has a very strong selection of dark rides; they’ve got 5, and I’ve done 3 of them (missing Laser Raiders & Lego City Deep Sea Adventure). Of the 3 I’ve done, I’d personally argue that Ninjago & Sky Lion are an epic one-two punch of dark rides (and quite possibly two of my very favourite UK dark rides, with only Hex really coming close to them), and while it lacks the drama & ambience of Hex, Haunted House Monster Party is still a really good, fun Madhouse!

The park also has 3 water rides, and while I haven’t done any of LLW’s water rides, Vikings River Splash & Pirate Falls look to provide a strong one-two punch of water rides, and Hydra’s Challenge and the water play areas round out the selection quite nicely.

There’s also a fair number of family flat rides, and if we take the definition of the term “attraction” more loosely than just rides, then the park also has Miniland and a fair abundance of shows!

But do you agree with me? Which UK park do you think has the strongest selection of non-coaster attractions?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It probably was Alton for a long time. Ripsaw, Hex, Sub-terra, Duel, Flume, Rapids - that was a pretty sweet line-up (although racking my brains if these were all concurrently open in the park...).

Drayton do okay with Apocalypse, Maelstrom, Storm Force 10 and the rapids I suppose.

Not really got a clue nowadays, to be honest. You put forward a decent enough argument for Legoland.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Thorpe back when they had Slammers and Loggers would have been in with a shout. No dark rides but a thorough and comprehensive variety of flats and water rides. Now not so much because there's so much SBNO, Samurai spends half the season in pieces and Rush often doesn't go beyond 90 degrees.

I agree with Legoland. Absolutely adore Pirate Falls and the two dark rides you mentioned are wonderful. Solid mix of dark rides at that park.

Blackpool is the other that springs to mind. 2 middling flats but the dark rides there are awesome.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Thorpe back in 2015, like Benenen says, would have walked this. Sure, no indoor rides, but Loggers and Slammer plus the rest is a strong line up. Even today, they have a good selection of flat rides (even if some aren't what they used to be), and I don't think that should be understated.

For variety, Legoland definitely wins. Hard to argue with quality too; I like all their dark rides, even if they are of varying quality. Their water rides aren't high up on my favourites, but they do the job.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I reckon Legoland is decent these days, Revolving House, Flying Theatre, Shooting Dark Ride, Submarine, Rapids, Flume

But I think BPB would have to be the best. Valhalla, shot tower, Wallace and Grommit, various other dark rides, Bling and the Gerst Sky Roller. Hits all the right notes.

Will

Strata Poster
Echoing several of the above posts, I'd have said Thorpe 15 years ago (Rush, Slammer, Detonator, Samurai, Vortex, Quantum etc.) but dark rides seem to have taken over of late and don't do a lot for me, and like the upkeep on the older rides sounds as though it ranges from poor to non-existent.

Blackpool have lost a few support classics, but it's probably the only UK park that I'd happily visit without riding any coaster and still feel like I've had a decent day. I do hope Valhalla's still as special after they've finished whatever they're doing to it though.

I've not had a proper trip to Legoland in nearly 10 years now, but it's on the to-do list as I feel like I won't recognise the place!