What's new

Strongest coaster theming in the UK?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. With Nemesis having closed yesterday and "changes" being hinted at, a big topic of discussion in some circles as of late has been the ride's theming. Some think that Nemesis' theming is infallible and should be kept exactly as is, whilst others think that some things could be added to it. This got me thinking of coasters in the UK that I feel are well themed. I think there are quite a few well themed UK coasters myself; this country often does well on theming, in my view! But my question to you today is; in your opinion, which UK coaster has the strongest theming? Which UK coaster provides the strongest themed experience, in your view?

Personally, my top UK coaster in terms of theming is Wicker Man at Alton Towers. I think the ride does incredibly well on theming; the queue is packed with little details and theming items, the pre-show is fantastic, the station is brilliant, and overall, I think it's just an incredible themed experience!

The Swarm and Saw at Thorpe Park are a close 2nd and 3rd for me. I love Swarm Island, and I think its whole apocalyptic vibe was pulled off impeccably, with tons of little details and huge wrecked vehicles strewn around! I think that Saw has a cracking dark ride section and a brilliant indoor queue, and I overall think that it's themed very well and builds atmosphere really nicely!

But what UK coaster do you think has the strongest theming?

Niles

Giga Poster
So Wicker Man is my favourite, im not a fan of horror so this is that nice level off eerie/spooky which i really like. Like you said its brilliantly done and a great experience.

What i think might be the best themed (but not my cup of tea) is Walking dead - The ride, i can appreciate that from start to finish its a whole experience, it has pre show, spooky queue, loads of effects during the ride and every time I've been there have been actors in the exit corridors. Enclosed coasters have an advantage and the UK is lacking in them.

The real best however, is Avalanche, its perfect, a bobsled themed to a bobsled. The station is also very twee and with the music and decorations its a great alpine theme.

Edit: Also farmyard flyer for a family coaster it looks brilliant, so many details around the queue, station and ride. The propeller also spins ☺️

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Nemesis yet. (other than Matt's opening reference.) For me, in it's original form, (and hopefully the form it will be restored to) it is not only the best themed coaster we've had in the UK, it's up there with Phantasialand's efforts as one of the best in Europe.
Obviously it's been in a sorry state lately, but even in it's current form I think it beats Wicker Man, which only really has big bob, a few flags and flickering lights.

Nemesis has / had theming elements all over the place, remember the van falling into the pit, the caged skeleton etc near the turnaround and several other smaller items of theming that I can't find photos of...

The big gun that used to smoke all day long...

56702227_437730550329469_6782651781642977280_n.jpg

The entrance structure...

nemesisclosing01.jpg

Who remembers Nemesis Nosh?

nemesis_nosh_by_starmansurfer_d2m38zp-fullview.jpg

Even the photo shop, despite looking like a Shipping container, is very well themed...

ECWmKEMXoAAjB1j.jpg

Obviously there's 2 main things that set Nemesis and every other UK coaster apart, but sadly the first one is something we lost a little while back, and should be preying they're working hard to reinstate... The rivers and waterfalls of blood!!!

Nemesis_at_Alton_Towers_133_4756058591.jpg

b89df03e6a7106470d2569b58f8d9283.jpg

Last but definitely not least, the single biggest reason no coaster in the UK has ever come close to the level of theming on Nemesis since is the station. The level of detail and design that went into it is mind boggling. This is something they absolutely have to restore to it's former glory.

img_0746__1572877478_195-171-191-66.jpg
91506832_223166915583881_3274538170900807680_n.jpg
6935615878_05d005dd1b_b.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe I'm biased, but I can't for the life of me imagine why anybody would think otherwise. Wickerman, Smiler, Saw and Swarm definitely represent a return to highly themed Coasters, but they do not come close to the scale of original design that went into Nemesis... The thing has rivers of blood ffs, rivers of blood! And it's station is the Monster, like, literally!!!

I'm being a sentimental twat aren't I? Sawwy :/

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Nemesis is the strongest by far (see above^^^).

Wickerman, Oblivion and Smiler are also good. Also, Swarm.

I’m a big fan of theming that doesn’t include lengthy explanation. Just a few basic emotional notes are all that’s required.

Matt N

CF Legend
Now I might be biased here seeing as I never did Nemesis in 1994, but I don’t personally look at Nemesis in its current form and see a heavily themed ride. I see one with very impressive terrain usage, and some good theming and atmosphere building, but I don’t personally see a heavily themed ride in the vein that things like Wicker Man, Swarm, Saw and even things like Smiler are.

Other than the monster itself, the ride doesn’t have an awful lot of theming to speak of these days. I know people talk about the many things it had in 1994, but many of them have since been either removed or lost to decay and growing vegetation. I personally feel that the theme is somewhat unclear to the first time rider, and that the experience in its present form lacks some of the finer details of something like Wicker Man. I’ll concede that I do like the bit of Nemesis’ queue where it goes under the ride and through the pit, but this doesn’t comprise an awfully large percentage of the queue on most peak days nowadays; much of the time, you now queue through that significantly longer wooded bit at the top, which is unthemed and offers quite a limited view of the ride. On something like Wicker Man, even the extended queue still has flags and runes in it, and the actual queue that goes under the ride itself is longer (in distance) than it is on Nemesis and has more of the little details; I’m talking about things like the wicker structures, the bunting, the Rosetta Stone-type thing with runes on it, and of course the Wicker Man structure itself is there for the main big impact.

If Nemesis’ theming style appeals to you more or I’m wrong because I’m not picking up on something, then fair enough. But those are simply the reasons why I don’t personally see Nemesis as a heavily themed ride.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Now I might be biased here seeing as I never did Nemesis in 1994, but I don’t personally look at Nemesis in its current form and see a heavily themed ride. I see one with very impressive terrain usage, and some good theming and atmosphere building, but I don’t personally see a heavily themed ride in the vein that things like Wicker Man, Swarm, Saw and even things like Smiler are.

Other than the monster itself, the ride doesn’t have an awful lot of theming to speak of these days. I know people talk about the many things it had in 1994, but many of them have since been either removed or lost to decay and growing vegetation. I personally feel that the theme is somewhat unclear to the first time rider, and that the experience in its present form lacks some of the finer details of something like Wicker Man. I’ll concede that I do like the bit of Nemesis’ queue where it goes under the ride and through the pit, but this doesn’t comprise an awfully large percentage of the queue on most peak days nowadays; much of the time, you now queue through that significantly longer wooded bit at the top, which is unthemed and offers quite a limited view of the ride. On something like Wicker Man, even the extended queue still has flags and runes in it, and the actual queue that goes under the ride itself is longer (in distance) than it is on Nemesis and has more of the little details; I’m talking about things like the wicker structures, the bunting, the Rosetta Stone-type thing with runes on it, and of course the Wicker Man structure itself is there for the main big impact.

If Nemesis’ theming style appeals to you more or I’m wrong because I’m not picking up on something, then fair enough. But those are simply the reasons why I don’t personally see Nemesis as a heavily themed ride.
You are very wrong, all of those things I posted about, with the exception of the blood and Nemesis Nosh still exist. And it seems to me you're referring more to random theming elements within a queue, than overall ride theme. So more 'queuline theming.'

Wickerman has no real theming elements at all besides big bob. Sure it has some nice light bulbs and bunting, but they're not really cutting edge theming are they?
Besides, for me theming is more than just plonking items associated with your theme all around the ride (although Nemesis does this too) Theming is encompassing the theme within the ride experience and the rides surrounding area entirely. Klugheim is one of the best examples (and of course Rookie / F.L.Y too) it doesn't need random theming elements plonked around, because Klugheim is the theme, it's all encompassing.

Nemesis achieves this in the same way, maybe without the same polish as Klugheim. But the station, rivers and everything around the ride is Nemesis, it is the theme. The loss of the blood is hugely detrimental to that, admittedly. But almost everything else remains. You probably look past most of it. Every single piece of metal has the same rusted effect, from fencing to ride supports. That isn't (just) age, they were designed and painted with a rusted effect way back in 1994. Those giant rocks everywhere are not just randomly placed rocks, they're the effect of the beast emerging out of the ground during it's battle with the Phalanx, scattering rocks everywhere. The track itself is incorporated within the theme, being the steel used by the Phalanx to eventually secure the beast. From the minute you walk under that first themed 'Nemesis' sign, you're in the themed area.

Saw is another very well themed ride, it's brilliantly executed and ties the theme into the experience very well. The area around saw is also bought into the theme very well. It's definitely one of the best around and a very worthy contender, I'll give you that. :)

But Wickerman... pft, you don't get to build one big structure, add a projection show and still claim it's one of the best themed rides out there. It's a great theme, well executed, but far from the best.

I was actually having this very discussion with my boyfriend yesterday, and how I feel like the entire vibe of Alton Towers is elite. When I went, it was an overcast fall day which really helped things, but the ambiance around the area Oblivion is set in as well as the mist was quite elite. Although I do have to agree with the majority in this topic, that Nemesis would probably win this contest hands down. I expected it to be good, but not that good!

Wicker Man looks great in photos but of course I haven't been there since it opened so I can't fully judge it.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I would also argue that Oblivion in peak form is superior to the likes of Saw, and The Swarm etc.
I know they've watered it down with the dereliction of X-Sector, but essentially that whole area was dedicated to Oblivion. It was super ominous back in the late 90's/early 00's, and it's a shame that today's guests won't really get quite that experience anymore.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I was actually having this very discussion with my boyfriend yesterday, and how I feel like the entire vibe of Alton Towers is elite. When I went, it was an overcast fall day which really helped things, but the ambiance around the area Oblivion is set in as well as the mist was quite elite. Although I do have to agree with the majority in this topic, that Nemesis would probably win this contest hands down. I expected it to be good, but not that good!

Wicker Man looks great in photos but of course I haven't been there since it opened so I can't fully judge it.
Beat me to it there 😂

Matt N

CF Legend
I think this probably a prime example of how perceptions differ with this sort of thing, because while I get where you’re all coming from and accept your arguments, I can’t seem to conflate Forbidden Valley/Nemesis with the likes of Klugheim and Rookburgh at all.

I agree that those two areas look very, very intensely themed; from what I’ve seen, the huge walls/rocks look stunning, there looks to be tons and tons of little details thrown into both, with not a single crevice left untouched, and overall, those areas look like they provide limitless immersion on a world-class scale. I don’t know if this is more a problem with my own perception of theming, but I just can’t view Forbidden Valley in the same way.

I’m not sure why, as I accept that there is probably more detail in the area than I give it credit for, but Nemesis/Forbidden Valley is not something I personally perceive as being as well themed as some other rides in the UK. I apologise if that’s wrong or controversial, but I personally view others such as Wicker Man, Swarm and Saw to provide a stronger themed experience than Nemesis. That’s not to say that I think Nemesis is a badly themed ride in the slightest (I think its theming has many brilliant aspects), but I personally prefer the theming/experience of other rides in the UK.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think this probably a prime example of how perceptions differ with this sort of thing, because while I get where you’re all coming from and accept your arguments, I can’t seem to conflate Forbidden Valley/Nemesis with the likes of Klugheim and Rookburgh at all.

I agree that those two areas look very, very intensely themed; from what I’ve seen, the huge walls/rocks look stunning, there looks to be tons and tons of little details thrown into both, with not a single crevice left untouched, and overall, those areas look like they provide limitless immersion on a world-class scale. I don’t know if this is more a problem with my own perception of theming, but I just can’t view Forbidden Valley in the same way.

I’m not sure why, as I accept that there is probably more detail in the area than I give it credit for, but Nemesis/Forbidden Valley is not something I personally perceive as being as well themed as some other rides in the UK. I apologise if that’s wrong or controversial, but I personally view others such as Wicker Man, Swarm and Saw to provide a stronger themed experience than Nemesis. That’s not to say that I think Nemesis is a badly themed ride in the slightest (I think its theming has many brilliant aspects), but I personally prefer the theming/experience of other rides in the UK.
Don't worry Matt, nobody is suggesting FV has the Detail of Klugheim 😂 😂 😂

The comparison was about how the whole area encompasses the theme.

I'll try and put it another way. If you took a pair of scissors, and cut out the actual Wickerman coaster (Inc queue) from it's surrounding area, and moved it elsewhere, you'd be taking most of the theme with you.

If you did the same to Taron or Nemesis, you'd be leaving most of the theme behind.

The areas of FV and Klugheim immerse you into the theme of the rides they contain. The area around Wickerman does not. You're litterally peering over a fence at the theme... If that makes sense?

Matt N

CF Legend
Don't worry Matt, nobody is suggesting FV has the Detail of Klugheim 😂 😂 😂

The comparison was about how the whole area encompasses the theme.
Ah, sorry… I misinterpreted you there a tad. I thought you meant that FV was comparable in detail and scale of theming to Klugheim and Rookburgh.

When you put it in that way, I do get where you’re coming from a bit more, and I can imagine that that aspect was strengthened in 1994 prior to the advent of things like Galactica and the removal of certain elements of Nemesis’ theme from around the wider Forbidden Valley area (for instance, Nemesis Nosh being replaced by the more generic building that now holds Coffee Lounge). Sadly, I’ve only experienced Nemesis in its present day, allegedly somewhat diluted, form, so I have no 1994 experiences as a point of reference.

I do get what you’re saying with the scissors analogy. I think Wicker Man as an individual ride is themed incredibly well, and I think that’s what I was getting at, but I’ll admit that its integration into a wider area of Alton Towers that goes beyond its queue and immediate ride area is limited.

Through that lens, I’d argue that The Swarm does a similar sort of thing, and to me, I think it envelops you into an area theme more than Nemesis/Forbidden Valley does in its present form. On Swarm, you have all of the massive wreckage strewn around the area, the wood on the fences (where the fences are wooden) looks charred on the ends like there’s been an attack, things look boarded up, a lot of the signs look like they were cobbled together by locals in the aftermath of an attack, the station is really impressive (particularly the police box operator cabin), and overall, I personally think that Swarm has its whole area encompass its theme in a very convincing way (albeit its area only contains The Swarm itself). On Swarm Island, the ride theme is the theme of the entire area, and I’d argue that your scissors analogy could also apply there as you say it does to Nemesis.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Ah, sorry… I misinterpreted you there a tad. I thought you meant that FV was comparable in detail and scale of theming to Klugheim and Rookburgh.

When you put it in that way, I do get where you’re coming from a bit more, and I can imagine that that aspect was strengthened in 1994 prior to the advent of things like Galactica and the removal of certain elements of Nemesis’ theme from around the wider Forbidden Valley area (for instance, Nemesis Nosh being replaced by the more generic building that now holds Coffee Lounge). Sadly, I’ve only experienced Nemesis in its present day, allegedly somewhat diluted, form, so I have no 1994 experiences as a point of reference.

I do get what you’re saying with the scissors analogy. I think Wicker Man as an individual ride is themed incredibly well, and I think that’s what I was getting at, but I’ll admit that its integration into a wider area of Alton Towers that goes beyond its queue and immediate ride area is limited.

Through that lens, I’d argue that The Swarm does a similar sort of thing, and to me, I think it envelops you into an area theme more than Nemesis/Forbidden Valley does in its present form. On Swarm, you have all of the massive wreckage strewn around the area, the wood on the fences (where the fences are wooden) looks charred on the ends like there’s been an attack, things look boarded up, a lot of the signs look like they were cobbled together by locals in the aftermath of an attack, the station is really impressive (particularly the police box operator cabin), and overall, I personally think that Swarm has its whole area encompass its theme in a very convincing way (albeit its area only contains The Swarm itself).
Swarm is another very good example, another contender for sure. In fact I think there was a time when it was my favourite themed area, it really is done well. :)

Swarm is actually probably the closest competitor as it has a lot of the similar elements. Whole area theming, highly themed station, water areas that are brought into the theme. And you could definitely argue that is has more detail and communicates it's story to the public better than Nemesis. It's also cleaner and (for now) better maintained than Nemesis.

A good shout Swarm is. 👍

Matt N

CF Legend
Through a similar lens, I’d also suggest a less obvious contender; Storm Chaser at Paultons Park.

The area of Tornado Springs is absolutely stunning, and every corner of it absolutely oozes detail. You have the road markings on the floor, the water tower leaking, the power lines, the cow in the roof of Storm Chaser’s station… I struggle to even name all of the details off the top of my head!

The ride itself also has some decent rockwork and such, and the queue is quite nice!

And using the scissors analogy once again, Storm Chaser is one where removing the ride and the queue wouldn’t take away an awful lot of the theming because Tornado Springs still has absolutely tons of theming away from it.

I don’t think it quite has the scale of individual theming items as something like Swarm or Wicker Man, but I don’t really think it needs it, because the area as a whole is just incredibly well done!

Ultimately, I think your answer to this question depends on what lens you look at it through.

If I were to look at it as an individual standalone ride theme, from entering the queue line to exiting the immediate ride area, I’d say Wicker Man. However, I concede that Wicker Man doesn’t really do an awful lot with wider area theming outside of its immediate queue and ride area aside from the odd bit of bunting strewn on some of the old Mutiny Bay buildings. So if you looked at a combination of ride theming and area theming, I’d probably go for Swarm. It has loads of big scenery pieces for impact, but it also has lots of little details strewn throughout the queue and area as well.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Through a similar lens, I’d also suggest a less obvious contender; Storm Chaser at Paultons Park.

The area of Tornado Springs is absolutely stunning, and every corner of it absolutely oozes detail. You have the road markings on the floor, the water tower leaking, the power lines, the cow in the roof of Storm Chaser’s station… I struggle to even name all of the details off the top of my head!

The ride itself also has some decent rockwork and such, and the queue is quite nice!

And using the scissors analogy once again, Storm Chaser is one where removing the ride and the queue wouldn’t take away an awful lot of the theming because Tornado Springs still has absolutely tons of theming away from it.

I don’t think it quite has the scale of individual theming items as something like Swarm or Wicker Man, but I don’t really think it needs it, because the area as a whole is just incredibly well done!

Ultimately, I think your answer to this question depends on what lens you look at it through.

If I were to look at it as an individual standalone ride theme, from entering the queue line to exiting the immediate ride area, I’d say Wicker Man. However, I concede that Wicker Man doesn’t really do an awful lot with wider area theming outside of its immediate queue and ride area aside from the odd bit of bunting strewn on some of the old Mutiny Bay buildings. So if you looked at a combination of ride theming and area theming, I’d probably go for Swarm. It has loads of big scenery pieces for impact, but it also has lots of little details strewn throughout the queue and area as well.
Storm chaser is another really good shout. I was extremely impressed with the effort they’d gone to with their new area. The level of detail they’ve achieved on their budget is absolutely incredible! Like you say, there are no massive stand out theming elements, but the whole package is greater than the sum of it’s parts.

Archie

Mega Poster
I'd say Saw: the ride does a pretty good job with theming. the indoor section is packed with theming from the moment you step inside featuring authentic props from Saw films. the outside area is pretty decent in terms of the front plaza area with the police car, grungy warehouse and the saw blades which combined with the 100-degree drop makes one of the most exciting head chopper moments ever made

Sandman

Giga Poster
Saw is one of the only coasters that should actually look derelict and ****. It actually does a good job of bringing the essence of the franchise to life, therefore it could be considered the most effective theming on a UK coaster.

I think that The Swarm and SAW are both really well themed coasters. In both cases the theme is clear and executed well.

I do think that SAW lacks an area of it's own and it does feel like it's been crammed into a corner a little. Furthermore, despite the incredibly well themed inside section and queueline, the amount of outside on ride theming is a little lacking. I do really like the saw blades (that may or may not spin) at the bottom of the drop though.

It's for this reason that I think The Swarm is the better themed of the two. The area of the ride is totally immersive and a nice size and there is plenty of good on ride theming (ie. advertising board, plane wing...).

Another example of good UK theming that I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet is the dinosaur area at Paultons Park, specifically Flight Of The Pterosaur. There is consistent vegetation and the implementation of the rockwork and the dinosaur statues gives the area a really nice vibe (I don't think it's quite on par with The Swarm or SAW though). Once again, I think the theme is clear and well executed, Velociraptor could do with a little bit of a touch up however.

I haven't been to Paultons since the addition of Tornado Springs however that entire area looks just as good as the dinosaur section, maybe even better?

(Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get myself to Towers as of yet so I can't really comment on the likes of Nemesis or Wickerman.)