What's new

Star Flyers

nadroJ

CF Legend
I love Star Flyers, they're a ride that you don't think will be that thrilling but end up being because they're bloody terrifying. The higher the better, they're fab <3

TilenB

Strata Poster
They look great, but they are boring and unthrilling. Sure, I've ridden only one, but still (Praterturm)

robbeal

Hyper Poster
They seem to me to be one of very few things that would still scare me, I just don't like the idea of being that high and that exposed. I can do one or the other, but both together looks like a step too far. Having said that, i've never ridden one, and I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do so, so I won't truly find out until then.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Jordan on the higher the better with Star Flyers. Small ones like the SkyScreamers at Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom & La Ronde don't do much for me. However, it also depends on the setting. The one at Martin's Fantasy Island is only marginally taller than those three, but due to it's location (without anything remotely as tall around & gorgeous views) is quite a good ride.
I personally love the huge one at Magical Midway in Orlando & the world's tallest traveling ones on the German fair circuit. I'm really looking forward to riding the 384 foot tall Praterturm in Vienna & the even taller ones coming to Six Flags Over Texas & Six Flags New England.
Star Flyers > Windseekers

marc

CF Legend
The one at plopsaland scared me.

I was ok until it went over the trees and it was really windy.

But tbh after going round once they are boring.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Before I had been on one, I was reallying looking forward to getting on one. But I'm not really bothered by them tbh. Yeah they can be pretty scary, but they're also boring at the same time.

Having now been on two, I doubt I would bother queuing for another, unless it was some with some special views.

Could have been on 3, but didn't even think about considering the one at Hyde Park.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I've only been on the one at Hyde Park and it terrified me. Granted it was quite a windy day, but there's just something about them that doesn't feel safe to me.

I don't think I would go on one again.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
TERRIFYING. I cried on the Plopsaland one as the chains started to twist in the wind. </heights>
Still, I make myself go on them, just like drop towers, because sometimes it's nice to be scared.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm not a massive fan to be honest. I've been on three or four now, and each one has basically followed the same pattern:

Felt scared **** less on the way up because of the "flimsy" chains.
Enjoyed the view from the top.
Scared **** less again when the wind blows the chains.#
Relax into it.
Bored **** less until it eventually goes down again.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^This, 100%

Been there, done it, can't be arsed again now I've proven I can do one.

Lofty

CF Legend
^^ I cannot agree more. Once you get over the height and twisting of the cars, it's an extremely boring experience.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I've been on four true Star Flyers
1.Lighthouse Tower - Holiday Park - Germany - 2007
2.SkyScreamer - Six Flags Fiesta Texas - (TX) USA - 2012
3.StarFlyer - Magical Midway Thrill Park - (FL) USA - 2008
4.Star Flyer - Prater - Austria - 2004 ←
I got to ride the one at Prater a few weeks after it opened, when it was the only one in the world and it seemed so insane at the time. Having now done a few others (and living 4 blocks from the Orlando one) its no real big deal, I still have fun and cant wait to try SFOT's.. If the height isnt a big dealto you its no different than any other swing ride, but the views from them can be amazing. Praters FWIW is still my favorite, at the time it ran with single seat cars... so at the top, in the wind.. your chair would spin 360! going backwards at points.... <3 - My old YouTube video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oog3E-T2aHQ

nealbie

CF Legend
They're **** scary and should be destroyed. All of them.

Chairswings are bad enough. But making them 200ft tall? RIDICULOUS.

I still remember, vividly, Pierre and I being **** terrified on the one at Hansa Park - neither of us understanding why we were on it!

TilenB

Strata Poster
CanobieFan said:
I've been on four true Star Flyers
1.Lighthouse Tower - Holiday Park - Germany - 2007
2.SkyScreamer - Six Flags Fiesta Texas - (TX) USA - 2012
3.StarFlyer - Magical Midway Thrill Park - (FL) USA - 2008
4.Star Flyer - Prater - Austria - 2004 ←
I got to ride the one at Prater a few weeks after it opened, when it was the only one in the world and it seemed so insane at the time. Having now done a few others (and living 4 blocks from the Orlando one) its no real big deal, I still have fun and cant wait to try SFOT's.. If the height isnt a big dealto you its no different than any other swing ride, but the views from them can be amazing. Praters FWIW is still my favorite, at the time it ran with single seat cars... so at the top, in the wind.. your chair would spin 360! going backwards at points.... <3 - My old YouTube video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oog3E-T2aHQ

That was the old StarFlyer in Vienna, right? I believe the new one has opened in 2010

_koppen

Hyper Poster
They are fun rides, but a lot of it depends on the operations.
Most park's don't run there Star Flyers on full speed, in order to make them more appealing to a bigger audience.

The one in Tivoli, at full speed, on a windy day is pure awesomeness.
The one in Holiday Park was pretty lame, due to the slow speed of the rotations.