What's new

Son of Beast to be dismantled for further development.

Dave

CF Legend
Re: Son of Beast to be retracked by GCI?

Plus the trains are made by Gerstlauer, so they would surely go to the manufacturer. You don't get Intamin to build spare parts for B&M's

Intricks

Strata Poster

Even the newer, lighter trains? I know the old ones were, but not sure on who manufactured the current ones (I know they are from a defunct coaster).

Really? Cedar Fair only does business with GCI? Why limit themselves to one company? GG would be a better choice because they make the higher forced rides and wont cost as much. Cedar Fair may PREFER working with GCI, but I dont believe for a second they would limit themselves to just one company for all wooden rides.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Since GCI layouts involve less thrashing, the track isn't in need of as much repair and maintenance as Gravity Group coasters. Just look at Voyage and Boardwalk Bullet, which have already had extensive retrack work done because of rough rides.

Cedar Fair likes to prioritize coaster designs on reliability and maintenance (I know, paradoxical with TTD's opening years). GCI is the clear pick with that perspective.

Snoo

The Legend

On top of the fact that CF doesn't know how to build wooden coasters save for Prowler.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Which is why GG would be the better company to go with for this project if it happens. Son of Beast isnt some willy nilly ride, you get thrashed around like a Gravity Group coaster. Voyages retrack work has been minimal (that I know of). I only know of one turn in which all the retracking has been done on. Plus, the only reason I would assume it has been in need of retracking in the past is due to the fact that they let it run how it is supposed to. The mid course before the triple down doesnt really engage like most others do. The train rarely slows down at that segment. Hell, my friends told me that when she rode it the year they opened it, they didnt use a single trim on that ride the whole day during Holiwood Nights.

Son of Beast is more or less a ride like Voyage. It is meant to be fast and untamed. The trim before the rosebowl is what cause it to be considerably rougher than what it should have been. If it had been allowed to scream through it and get pinned to the outer rail, then it would have had a significantly better ride and probably lasted longer than what it did.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ The off-season of 2007 saw massive retrack work on The Voyage, over a third of the coaster was replaced and re-tracked. Standing ovation to Holiday World for putting in the work instead of letting the coaster fall to a trimmed brake state, but it still stands that a lot of maintenance and re-track work has gone into the coaster.

And no, Cedar Fair will never build a Gravity Group coaster. This was mentioned with the construction of Renegade in 2007.

Titan

Mega Poster

^ Why?

The Voyage really is a great ride. Though, the first bit of retracking had to have been done for their own construction mistakes. I have not heard or felt a bigger BANG on a ride than during that transition before retracking.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I remember reading somewhere with the construction of Renegade that GCI would be Cedar Fair's "go-to" wooden coaster manufacturer moving forward. This has been made obvious with Prowler and the failed California wooden coaster.

As I said, Cedar Fair cares first and foremost for reliability and low maintenance. Gravity Group layouts require much more maintenance because of the higher rate of wear and tear. It is the same reason for why Cedar Point removed the barrel roll on Maverick.

There is no reason why Cedar Fair should ditch GCI, a coaster company that has made fantastic wooden coasters that have worked perfectly for their parks.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Is it just me, or does GCI know where their ride limits are EXACTLY, and know how to push their rides up to right below that line?

That's probably why GCI woodies are so well built and long lasting, is because they know where the limit line is and they know how to push their rides right up to below that. My comparison is that GCI is the Toyota of roller coasters. Long lasting, well built, low maintenance, and overall a fun ride.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

GCI could provide parts like brakes and lifthill equipment. The Beast and Racer have probably been retracked by GCI as well. They don't just build rides:

http://greatcoasters.com/?p=service

They relocate and renovate rides as well.

JLCarrigg

Roller Poster

I agree, even if the entire train derailed off the track in some magical circumstance, and the ride still operated after they fixed it. I would still ride it. that's what I have always thought roller coasters were about. The engineers that work on the rides are very scrupulous. If there is a safety failure, it shouldn't be the park's fault. I say, ride at your own risk.

Intricks

Strata Poster

It derailed after a support broke and the train and track it was on dropped several feet.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Just nuke the Son ofa Bitch and replace it with a launching and looping woodie.

Naemuti

Mega Poster

Titan said:
People seem to have selective memory, they block out all the bad stuff that happens at the "happiest place on earth".

Some people have selective memory and block out the millions of good rides that happen at amusement parks all year long. :roll:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

JLCarrigg said:
If there is a safety failure, it shouldn't be the park's fault. I say, ride at your own risk.
Considering Kings Island designed and built Son of Beast, in homage of the in-house job that was put forth with Beast, Kings Island is even more at fault for design failure.

And of course park's are responsible for the safety of riders. Let me guess, you also think lapbars shouldn't be required either, as riders can just "hang on"?

davidm

Strata Poster

Screamscape reporting that its gonna be removed now.

Edit : see KI facebook page for confirmation ; https://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland

After a lengthy evaluation of all alternatives, the decision has been made to remove the Son of Beast roller coaster to make room for future park expansion. The dismantling of the ride, which last operated in 2009, will begin later this summer.
Another one bites the dust (rode it in 2009, not long before it was shuit down :-( )

bmac

Giga Poster

Man King's Island is going to be making big money this winter off of SoB for firewood!

Now the question is what will replace it? Rocky Mount? GCI / GG? Intamin?

Intricks

Strata Poster

bmac said:
Man King's Island is going to be making big money this winter off of SoB for firewood!

Now the question is what will replace it? Rocky Mount? GCI / GG? Intamin?

Whatever they decide to put there.