What's new

So Which Modification is Better (Or Worse?): Lightning Rod or TT2

Which roller coaster do you believe is the better modification?

• Lightning Rod High Speed Lift Hill

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Top Thrill 2 Magnetic Launch and Spike

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
2024 will prove an interesting year for significant modifications, all in the name of reliability. In one corner, TT2 will be a magnetic, swing launch conversion swapping TTD's hydraulic launch following the 2020 accident. In the other, Lightning Rod shall swap it's magnetic launch (ironic) for a high speed lift hill.

Which swap are you more looking forward to?

emoo

Hyper Poster
I'm looking forward to actually riding Lightning Rod if I ever get to SDC again, so that one. It also looks to change the overall experience the least.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Both look like they will drastically improve reliability. I picked TT2 since it will likely have a more dramatic effect on the overall experience. I never got a chance to ride the launched version of Lightning Rod, but if the chain lift really does get the trains over the hill at 13 mph then the rest of the ride should feel the same, just minus the kick heading up the lift.

Esther7

Roller Poster
I'm most excited for TT2! 😁
I'd have liked to try them both before the modifications, but if all goes well, I'll finally try them next year with the changes made.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Personally I don't really see how Lightning Rod's conversion to a high speed chain lift will ultimately affect the ride experience unless I'm missing something, other than "it'll lose the uniqueness of a proper launch being on a wooden coaster".

Top Thrill Dragster to Top Thrill 2 however will almost certainly be a downgrade from the original. Looking straight down from a considerable height is always fun, but the loss of the force in the original launch will be much missed. It would be cool if the LSMs had a kick similar to that on Storm - The Dragon Legend, but travelling down that same launch track only getting to half the original speed will be a bit of a bummer. I do not doubt for a millisecond that Top Thrill 2 will still be an incredible ride, and it's what had to be done for the ride to keep going, but it might not be the same story for those who've done the original.

So I say Lightning Rod's conversion is the better modification. As for Shockwave... I'm in the stand-up fan club so not awfully excited to see that one.

Matt N

CF Legend
It’s hard to call, in my view.

If Top Thrill 2 and the addition of the swing launch are an improvement on Top Thrill Dragster, then that might take it. If Top Thrill 2 is weaker than Top Thrill Dragster, then Lightning Rod might take it. Although that also partially depends on whether the chain lift actually has any kind of effect on how Lightning Rod rides, which I think depends on whether 13mph is any slower or quicker than it goes over the top now.

One thing I will say, though, is that I think both modifications will be very good for the rides’ reliability!

CoasterGoji_501

Roller Poster
the most dissapointing thing about TT2 is the name, "Top Thrill 2", the name "Dragster" would have been 1,000,000's of times than top thrill 2.

the lift hill of L-rod is just an L-moment. nothing sounds as dissapointing as the record for worlds fastest chain lift. now the ride is gonna from mild speed to just slow at this point. im also gonna bet its gonna be turned into a 100% hybird aswell

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah sorry, left out Shockwave to focus on more substantial, track modification topic. Take it from us Yankees; converting stand-ups to floorless has often resulted in a better ride. :p

Take it from us Yankees; converting stand-ups to floorless has often resulted in a better ride. :p
I'm probably the most interested to see what manufacturer is providing the trains. Seeing as this is an Intamin standup and the height restriction is coming down from 1.4m to 1.2m, I find it unlikely that B&M will just sweep in and stick their usual floorless trains on it despite the B&M/Giovanola track.

But then again, Mandrill Mayhem is an inverting B&M with vest restraints and a 1.2m height restriction. Could we see Shockwave receive vest-equipped sit-down trains like the ones found on Decepticoaster at Universal Studios Beijing? (https://rcdb.com/17349.htm) They'd look and ride great but personally, I don't think this is the route Drayton is going down.

Given that the ride is an Intamin, I suspect that Intamin will probably provide the trains as a sort of package deal with Drayton's 2024 Intamin family Lift & Launch coaster. I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume they could have lapbars. But whether they'll be floorless or just your standard sit-downs is still unknown.

On the other hand, Intamin haven't really been seen associating with their older generation rides (please correct me if I'm wrong) with modifications being done under other manufacturers. For example the partial retracking of Colossus at Thorpe Park or the whole TT2 situation with Zamperla. Could a company like Zamperla or Vekoma be the ones sprucing up Shockwave? Only time will tell!

(Apologies for spewing about Shockwave in what's supposed to be a LRod/TT2 thread!)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
There is no chance TT2 will be better than the original, those hydraulic launches are significantly better than any other launch system, even if they are unreliable.
Some may prefer the S&S air launches but I'm yet to experience one that trumps the hydraulic.
These things are one trick ponies, and while I do like a nice reverse spike (/waves in Toutatis' direction) it won't be as fun as the original imo.

Lightning Rod is a hard one. The original version made it my number 1 cred prior to riding Steel Vengeance, it really was amazing. If this gets it close to that version then it will be an upgrade on how it apparently ran as V2. It does need a little oomph over that drop so hopefully it really is a high speed lift.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm probably the most interested to see what manufacturer is providing the trains. Seeing as this is an Intamin standup and the height restriction is coming down from 1.4m to 1.2m, I find it unlikely that B&M will just sweep in and stick their usual floorless trains on it despite the B&M/Giovanola track.

But then again, Mandrill Mayhem is an inverting B&M with vest restraints and a 1.2m height restriction. Could we see Shockwave receive vest-equipped sit-down trains like the ones found on Decepticoaster at Universal Studios Beijing? (https://rcdb.com/17349.htm) They'd look and ride great but personally, I don't think this is the route Drayton is going down.

Given that the ride is an Intamin, I suspect that Intamin will probably provide the trains as a sort of package deal with Drayton's 2024 Intamin family Lift & Launch coaster. I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume they could have lapbars. But whether they'll be floorless or just your standard sit-downs is still unknown.

On the other hand, Intamin haven't really been seen associating with their older generation rides (please correct me if I'm wrong) with modifications being done under other manufacturers. For example the partial retracking of Colossus at Thorpe Park or the whole TT2 situation with Zamperla. Could a company like Zamperla or Vekoma be the ones sprucing up Shockwave? Only time will tell!

(Apologies for spewing about Shockwave in what's supposed to be a LRod/TT2 thread!)
Not to burst your bubble, but B&M is the only floorless coaster manufacturer and has 100% precedent of doing floorless conversions on stand-ups (Mantis, Vortex, Iron Wolf). Yes, Shockwave essentially using B&M track makes it an even easier task.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well surprise finding: the winning vote was actually the relocated Fire in the Hole!!! Congrats to Herschend.

I'll take Lrod since it will fix reliability unlike TT2...Zamperla Strata Multilaunch with pre-existing track? That won't work out well. Lrod becomes not as good Outlaw Run.