What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Pet peeve. I hate it when people post a question that would have taken them less than a minute to look up themselves. Once ok, but that's hasn't been the case with you.
Hardly my fault google decided it was gonna inoperative last night now was it 🙄

Dar

Hyper Poster
It's hard to guage "value" but Olympia Looping is amazing and still not worth €9, so I can't imagine Big Apple is worth $19?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's hard to guage "value" but Olympia Looping is amazing and still not worth €9, so I can't imagine Big Apple is worth $19?
The last time I rode (2014), it was $19 for a daytime and a nighttime ride. Wasn't worth it then and certainly not now, especially since it's $29 for both now. The first time (2011) it was $15 for the two rides, which I didn't mind since I wanted the cred. I also paid because I wanted to film them for CF, which I wouldn't do now.

Christian

Hyper Poster
It looks positively bearable now!

I will need to ride this again the next time I'm in Vegas. Rode it in 2013 and it was terrible, refused to ride it in 2020 and now ill need to try it again. Should I worry? At least I wont have to pray for my neck right?

solarfall

Mega Poster
In other small news that I'm shocked hasn't been posted here since it's +12 old..... Fire today at Islands of Adventure! Over at the Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges raft ride, currently closed for refurbishment.
Didn't Dudley Do-Right catch on fire a while back too? I swear Toon Lagoon is cursed.

Matt N

CF Legend
It was thankfully apparently only a component, and it was put out quickly. The ride is also currently closed for refurbishment, so no one was hurt, as far as I’m aware.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
A listing for Apocalypse @ Drayton has appeared on Interlink
https://www.interlink-lg.com/used-rides/drop-tower/

The pic in the listing is Golden Driller, but all the specs line up for Apocalypse

Obviously just someone on twitter but coupled with this, the stats (pretty sure it's the only one that opened in 2000 (Edit: Apparently Terra Mitica's opened then but it only has 4 sides) and GD isn't that height) and what looks like a listing for pandemonium, the rumours of a demographic focus change and the removal of g-force, it seems to be pretty much confirmed.

Never did the ride myself so don't have any attachment to it but I know it's well-loved in the community.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Jeez...
Things at Drayton are much worse than I feared :(
It might be just Looping Group clearing space for some new attractions more befitting of the park’s present target audience. Looping invest reasonably well in the properties they own, and they received substantial Middle Eastern backing quite recently, so I don’t think it’s out of the question that they might want to invest in some new family attractions that the park’s present target audience might enjoy more.

When one door closes, another opens. I fully understand why people might be skeptical, but just because Drayton are becoming more family-focused, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re on their way to closure.

MillenniumT

Roller Poster
It might be just Looping Group clearing space for some new attractions more befitting of the park’s present target audience. Looping invest reasonably well in the properties they own, and they received substantial Middle Eastern backing quite recently, so I don’t think it’s out of the question that they might want to invest in some new family attractions that the park’s present target audience might enjoy more.

When one door closes, another opens. I fully understand why people might be skeptical, but just because Drayton are becoming more family-focused, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re on their way to closure.
Hate to say it but they haven't really invested a great deal into Pleasurewood Hills as of now. Apart from a few cheap refurbishments and rebrands of existing rides the park is in need of new rides to fill the numerous empty ride plots from where attractions have been removed

GregBoxall

Roller Poster
There's been rumours for a while that some of their larger rides would removed before the 2021 season. With the removal of G force, Pandemonium and Apocalypse I wonder if we'll hear something about Shockwave soon. Without the other thrill attractions to support it the coaster feels very misplaced at Drayton.

cookie

Giga Poster
De Valkenier, one of the oldest parks in the Netherlands, is considering shutting permanently due to spacing and investment issues, says the park's managing director. According to them, the park isn't future-proof at its current investment rate, and either needs significant expansion (which locals are bound to protest) or a complete relocation to a more accomodating area to avoid significant struggles down the road. The park currently pulls in 150,000 visitors a year, but apparently needs at least half a million visitors for any large-scale investment to be worth it, and that would require a 365-day operation which simply isn't feasible. The other option is to raze the site and build new housing there, and a letter of intent has already been signed with a local housing company for that purpose.

Matt N

CF Legend
Wasn’t sure if this warranted its own thread or not, but Cedar Point have apparently been teasing a potential 2022 coaster over the last few days or so: https://www.wkyc.com/article/entert...eason/95-47a06181-7a0a-476e-a6f4-17ee8ec816b5

I can’t seem to be able to access the article; if any of the American members are able to access it (I’m assuming the reason is due to GDPR, which is a reason why a lot of American news outlets have stopped letting European readers read their sites), would they be able to see what it says?